sprint7

Subwoofer on 246SSi??

About to upgrade my sound system and looking for a little info. I see that Chap has an option for a sub but i can't find any information on where it is located. It appears that the front of the port side bench seat is the best place but i wanted to confirm. Anyone have a picture? Also, looking at adding a 10" sub and looking for thoughts on that

Hi Sprint7

I did a subwoofer install on my 246 this summer. Use the search button, select search all forums and type in Subwoofer Install. You will see my post and pictures under Wake My Day. At first glance this install looks big, but one step at a time and no problems. It was a nice spot as I didn't lose any cubby space and the sealed enclosure makes the sub pound.

Good luck

Here is a pic of the subwoofer in our 246 which was installed at the factory. It is located the front of the port side bench seat

as you indicated.

DSC_0620_zps2f983892.jpg

That is exactly where I was thinking. Hope you don't mind a few other questions.

Is that a 10"? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

Does it have any type of box or enclosure or is it a "free air" sub?

Does it really make a noticeable difference?

Its amazing what a difference even a mild 10" woofer will make, Great deal of program material thats left out because it well below what the small in-boats want to produce. You can take it a step further, and increase the efficiency of those in-boats and their amp. Once tuned right with the sub in the mix, you can get more output from the in-boats.

That is exactly where I was thinking. Hope you don't mind a few other questions.

Is that a 10"? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

Does it have any type of box or enclosure or is it a "free air" sub?

I put two 10s in my last boat and they really made a difference. Depends on what you are going for. Do you want a good quality sound for those in the boat and around to hear it, or you looking to annoy the whole lake.

A sub makes a huge difference to the low end. Also allows you to use an amp on the cockpit speakers set to "high-pass". Really cleans up the sound, by taking all of the low bass away from the cockpit speakers.

brick

I put two 10s in my last boat and they really made a difference. Depends on what you are going for. Do you want a good quality sound for those in the boat and around to hear it, or you looking to annoy the whole lake.

I'm not looking to win a crank it up contest at the lake. I'm just looking for a basic upgrade to the factory system that came with my boat. I'm looking at replacing the 3 sets of 6 1/2" speakers, adding an amp, and maybe a 10" sub in the location that tobywranger has one. Head unit will remain the factory Clarion with Bluetooth added. Looking at the Memphis Marine speakers.

I installed a 10" Rockford Fosgate marine sub in the panel behind the drivers seat. Used a non marine Rockford Fosgate mono amp. Added Sirius receiver, Fusion Bluetooth module. I run a single battery and have had no drain issues. May add bass blockers to 4 main speakers in future. Sounds much better now.

I'm not looking to win a crank it up contest at the lake. I'm just looking for a basic upgrade to the factory system that came with my boat. I'm looking at replacing the 3 sets of 6 1/2" speakers, adding an amp, and maybe a 10" sub in the location that tobywranger has one. Head unit will remain the factory Clarion with Bluetooth added. Looking at the Memphis Marine speakers.

Sounds good. I wouldnt worry about a marine amp if you keep inside the cabin or storage. if you get a 10in sub, a 2 channel 400w amp would probably be sufficient.

I replaced my entire system last summer. Using a clarion head, and all Polk Audio 6.5's and adding a 12 inch Polk Sub. Their speakers are marine rated and sound amazing. I opted to not cut a big whole in the glass.....and instead used a sealed box and mounted up under the wheel. Can still access the breaker panel with little trouble, and can easily remove if better access is needed for gauge replacement. Running them off a 5 channel amp mounted on fwd wall in head. Looks good, sounds amazing, can adjust the sub from mild to make your own waves. AMp has way more than enough power to drive this or a smaller sub. No separate high power amp needed, and the amp is marine rated and looks great too.

Polk Audio db1240DVC 12-Inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer (Single, Black)

MBQUART NA710.5 Nautic Amplifier

2 of Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers

Did you build your own box for the 12" or did you source that somewhere? I'm worried that it would not be as "crisp" if that makes sense, having it enclosed under a seat or behind the helm vs. exposed like Toby.

Did you build your own box for the 12" or did you source that somewhere? I'm worried that it would not be as "crisp" if that makes sense, having it enclosed under a seat or behind the helm vs. exposed like Toby.

This is my concern also. I am going to replace the 3 sets of 6.5" speakers with Memphis Marine 6.5" speakers in the factory location with an amp yet to be determined.

I would also like to add a sub but not sure what direction to go. I really like where Toby has it located but i start reading about sealed vs free air, tubes, etc and my eyes start to glass over.

I'm curious why the factory put it on port side on Toby's 246. On my 257 it's in the same basic location, but on Starboard. To me that's a way easier place to put it from a wiring perspective. Hope that helps.

This is my concern also. I am going to replace the 3 sets of 6.5" speakers with Memphis Marine 6.5" speakers in the factory location with an amp yet to be determined.

I would also like to add a sub but not sure what direction to go. I really like where Toby has it located but i start reading about sealed vs free air, tubes, etc and my eyes start to glass over.

The location of Toby's or behind the captains chair are the ideal spots for either an infinite-baffle install or a small sealed enclosure. That area offers 100% front/rear isolation, which makes it ideal for IB. It has the woofer radiating into the main cabin, as opposed to stowed in an insulated locker. Going with a sealed enclosure is going to be very involved due to the construction of an enclosure thats going to fit into the locker opening and back load to the wall where the woofer will be. Theres a small margin of area that the box can seal to the back side of the wall, so the two holes would need to be dead on. Any leaks will hinder the performance of the woofer. The enclosure would need to be placed in there as a 1 piece complete enclosure. Going with a sealed will typically allow for greater power handling over an IB, so take that into consideration as to the amount of bass one wants. But, the Wet Sounds 10fa runs well on 400W rms, thats respectable power for a 10", not to mention its an IB woofer.

I pickup up a sealed truck box just big enough for the sub. Very crisp, tight bass and will really pound if you want it to. Installing a sub on a curved glass surface can be a little difficult, and free air subs are often more difficult to find and get tuned. Plus being under the helm, it is out of the way and avoids other objects striking it. A sealed enclosure for subs is great, very efficient, small, and easy to install. Too small of a box will cut off low frequencies, and too big will sound boomy...most free air installs have the latter issue, and are not tight. I come from quite a background in car audio...just fyi...and easy on the power too...bigger amps draw more, and you do not need a high power amp for most subs. So unless you want to be the loudest on the lake, skip a separate high power sub amp, and pick up a 5 channel. I used to always get the biggest, baddest, amps for my cars, but that was for competition level. When I first started, I would use a punch 40 or Rockford 200 and blow away most of my friends rides. Never would have imagined having a single amp, but I like this MBQuart amp, and it looks good, and seems to be built well.

In the old days, I built my own complex boxes....but yo ucan buy a decent sealed box for what you can make one for.

here is the box....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZU7EY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nothing fancy, but made of MDF, so keeping it away from water is a good idea.

I put a Bazooka Marine (non-powered) sub in the port console. The amps are also located in the same console. Sounds great, plenty of thump.

brick

I would suggest against going with a store bought automotive MDF enclosure for the marine application.

They are raw MDF, so no waterproof protection from the elements.

The trunk liner type carpet will attract and hold moisture.

The box is often times cut out of a single piece of wood. the "joints" are notched to allow the walls to be folded together.

They are likely then just stapled.

The terminal cap may just be pressed in friction fit.

Unless you are tuned into the sound of the sub, you will likely not realize that the sound quality has diminished in only a season or 2. The enclosure will swell and eventually fall apart, but its often hidden by the carpet till its at its worst. A custom enclosure built for the marine environment is the best route to go.

I would suggest against going with a store bought automotive MDF enclosure for the marine application.

They are raw MDF, so no waterproof protection from the elements.

The trunk liner type carpet will attract and hold moisture.

The box is often times cut out of a single piece of wood. the "joints" are notched to allow the walls to be folded together.

They are likely then just stapled.

The terminal cap may just be pressed in friction fit.

Unless you are tuned into the sound of the sub, you will likely not realize that the sound quality has diminished in only a season or 2. The enclosure will swell and eventually fall apart, but its often hidden by the carpet till its at its worst. A custom enclosure built for the marine environment is the best route to go.

I spoke to a stereo shop today and they suggested replacing the factory 6.5" speakers with 8" speakers in two of the three locations on the boat (Where room allows). Basically told me "Bigger was Better". What are your thoughts on this? He is also suggesting Memphis Marine equipment anyone have any good, bad or ugly with these?

I'm keep going back to just changing the 6 factory 6.5" to new speakers, putting a 10" sub where toby has his, and adding a single amp? I just want some nice quality sound.

I spoke to a stereo shop today and they suggested replacing the factory 6.5" speakers with 8" speakers in two of the three locations on the boat (Where room allows). Basically told me "Bigger was Better". What are your thoughts on this? He is also suggesting Memphis Marine equipment anyone have any good, bad or ugly with these?

I'm keep going back to just changing the 6 factory 6.5" to new speakers, putting a 10" sub where toby has his, and adding a single amp? I just want some nice quality sound.

Yes, size matters in the world of audio too :yb624:

A larger speaker equals more surface area. That translates to more output and deeper mid-bass extension.

I have no experience with the Memphis offerings. If a larger speaker will fit, I would also consider the Kicker KM8 marine 8". Its got an 8" OD, so slightly larger than the JL 7.7. Ive put these in as cabin speakers as well as a in a tower pod and driving them with 200W rms to each. They are awesome. Even come with a white and charcoal grill for your choice and RGB LEDs on the back of the tweeter.

For a 6 speaker and amp setup, you can go with a 5 or 6 chnl amp. Kicker has the KXM800.5 and Wet sounds has the HT-6. Both marine and both great amps. Class-D efficiency and small footprint for their output.

I'm thinking about going with a Bazooka tube and strapping it under a seat or under the helm. What would you all recommend: powered or non-powered with an amp? I have NO experience installing subs or amps. Can my factory head unit connect to this pretty easily?