Kehrlide

When is it typically safe to un-winterize on Lake Lanier?

Bought my 2010 264 sunesta in July last year..my first boat. Was just starting to get the hang of things and then the season was over....can't wait to get it going again. Any suggestions for when it's safe to get it ready to run again?

Thanks!

Bought my 2010 264 sunesta in July last year..my first boat. Was just starting to get the hang of things and then the season was over....can't wait to get it going again. Any suggestions for when it's safe to get it ready to run again?

Thanks!

A few years back I read that the "average last freeze" in the Atlanta metro area is the first week of April. I forget the source, but do remember at least several years afterwards when they were right (and I was wrong).

My new boat delivers March 25th. I'm full ahead after that. As a backup I will have a bilge heater. See you on Lanier!

Moved to Ball Ground in August from Southern CA.

Awaiting delivery of my '15 264 380DP on May 1 at Atlanta Marine. Where do you guys store your boat?

My neighbors have us spooked about Lanier as they were involved in a deadly accident on the water. Where is the more family friendly portion of the lake. I don't want some Googan following close when the kids are being pulled.

thanks kehrlide. Which marina do you go out of. Im looking at port Royale, but I don't want to be stuck to one lake. I do have a trailer ordered as well so we can venture out. Any other "secrets"?

Port Royale is ok. Lots of boats (houseboats) there, but a lot less of the crap waverunner traffic you usually get down south like around the buford dam area. Lanier can be a guessing game and some times is like spaghetti junction at traffic time mostly. Nothing surprises me anywhere on this lake.

Ymmv.

Cheers.

thanks kehrlide. Which marina do you go out of. Im looking at port Royale, but I don't want to be stuck to one lake. I do have a trailer ordered as well so we can venture out. Any other "secrets"?

stay off the lake on the major holidays, at least the south side if you want to be towing or skiing with the kids. during the week the lake is great and generally mild if any traffic but the further south and the closer to the dam and to the big south lake marinas the busier it will be. always. The north end of the lake, as defined as north of browns bridge road bridge, which is at port royale (formely lan-mar) is much quieter generaly but can get tight in some places and you will need a map. get a map anyway, or gps. weekends are busy and the major holidays are amatuer hour so I stay off and sit on the dock. Ah another point, early early in the am even on the weekends is very quiet as most folks dont get moving, if trailering, until 10 or so. get on early and then anchor up for a swim

Thank you bmclendo!

Boat is ordered with GPS. We looked at several launch ramps around browns bridge and Port Royal. I'm going to dry store near my house and tow the boat to ramps for now but will stay north. Sure is different from So. CA.

You should be safe in the ATL area anytime after the first week of April. But it is a good idea to know how to drain your block, just in case. Only takes a few minutes.

We boat on West Point Lake and Lake Eufaula, to avoid the crowds...

brick