Sign in to follow this  
MattE

250 Signature on blocks, can I get my trailer under it???

Hey guys!

Here's the scenario, I have a 2008 Signature 250 in my driveway sitting on 3 blocks, one stack holding the bow and two at the stern. I want to get the 250 on my triple axle trailer well enough that I can stick it in the water and make my trailer adjustments from there. The boat fits on the trailer but proper adjustment is needed. I can hire a boat mover with a without the cross members or axles to come pickup my boat but he wants 280 deer for a 5 minute trip to the water. Any thoughts or tips on getting a trailer under a boat on blocks? I may have a large fork lift available, so I wasn't sure if supporting the front with heavy duty straps to get the trailer under it? Thoughts, tips...has anyone done this? I'd toss in a picture but every time I do, it's too large a file!

Thanks!

Pay the $280. If something happens he should have insurance. If u do it and something happens, it's going to cost more than $280

This is NOT a DIY if you are this inexperienced !!!!

Things to try.

Did the boat come off this trailer?

Are the support blocks sunk into the driveway at all? How many inches ? measure it..Is the drive way a hard paved surface ?

If that is as it was unloaded ? It should go back on no problem.

Worst case is if was dragged off.. Or your trailer was used to trailer a different boat. Only way you would need to redo or have a problem.

Line up the trailer. LOOSEN ALL THE side support brackets.

Why am I saying all this ?? Your risk of DIY is outrageous. The people you hirer HAVE NO IDEA what to do. Yes you could get lucky.

By chance are you asking us how to STEAL SOMEONE ELSES boat with your trailer ??

Wait a minute. You are stealing it. There is probably no open shoreline water available. Boats are not trailered this time of the year to water.

If you have never done it before. I would not do it. 280 is cheap if something goes wrong!

I would watch him & learn.

I'd pay the deer to get the lift to move the boat for the above reasons (insurance, competence, etc.). Not that anybody here is incompetent, but sometimes/often, the self-rigged lifting or stabilizing scheme doesn't work out. I've had my previous 240 and 276 lifted out of the water and placed in a cradle for service by a large (30k) forklift with extended forks and covers and I've also had the boat mover with the slings do it.

I just don't know how you'd get the trailer under the boat with the stands in the way of the trailer cross members. And the most dangerous times will be the points where you have to transition the stability of the boat from one system to another.

How did you get it in your driveway on blocks?

If you look at it as the $280 is for loading the boat on a specialized trailer and not just a 5 minute drive, it doesn't really sound that bad. I think the time and stress of using jacks to get the boat onto the trailer would be well worth the $280. Especially if something does happen like Iggy said. This is coming from a guy who doesn't like paying anyone to do anything I think I can do...which is why I'm always working on something cause I'm too cheap/lazy to pay someone else to do it.

Here it is!

Maybe this will better explain if it's worth it? I have the height. I have some heavy duty straps and access to a large forklift may to hold the front. If I can get

the front held, I think I would be pretty much home free? I know it's easier just to pay the guy that seems to be gouging! Just thought of this and wondered if anyone has done it?

post-13040-0-35434500-1425476430_thumb.j

I'd just hate to see you get the forklift and use a strap to lift the front and remove the front blocks and then slide the trailer back until you get to the rear blocks. Then you'd have to move the strap to lift the rearend of the boat and slide the trailer on under the boat. Not sure how the front will slide on that trailer. It's a heavy boat.

Pay the $280 for the time and stressed saved.

It could be done with a forklift and straps like you described (given the fact that the forklift and straps were the correct size to lift the front of the boat). One concern looking at the photo (is the ground level) if you lifted the front of the boat and it swings either toward the forklift or away it could twist the boat off the back blocks. Large forklift is a relative term, so you better make sure it can handle the weight and the forks are long enough to reach the other side of the boat. Also the back blocks would have to be high enough to allow the trailer to make the back of the hull.

That being said, in this case it would be worth it to pay someone with the right equipment to do the job. You have to think of it from his perspective. He as to make the trip to your house, spent 30 min. loading the boat, drive to the ramp (this is the easy part), unload the boat 20 min, drive home. It may only be an hour of your time, but it could be 2 or 3 hour of his time. Plus fuel. If you don't like his price get another quote. But its your boat, your call.

Here it is!

Maybe this will better explain if it's worth it? I have the height. I have some heavy duty straps and access to a large forklift may to hold the front. If I can get

the front held, I think I would be pretty much home free? I know it's easier just to pay the guy that seems to be gouging! Just thought of this and wondered if anyone has done it?

Heck yeah it can be done, but very difficult and almost impossible with that particular trailer, Matt. It has way too many corss members. The way I saw it done at the yard is the trailer is hitched to the truck at all times and backed up under the bow of the boat all the way until it's about an inch away from the bow blocks. Then they attached the winch line and snugged it up and then jacked the boat at the bow block to free up the block and then truck backs up further until the jack. Then the bow blocks that were removed are replaced further up except they added a block or two to raise it above the trailer at the same time tightening the winch strap. You keep doing that until you reach the stern blocks but because you have so many cross members on your trailer, you don't have enough adequate spots to place that bow block stack. Unless you moved that bow block a dozen times between those cross members but that it a pain. This is trying it without lifting the boat.

If you can get the forklift up high enough and safely strap the bow to lift it so that you can slide the trailer all the way to the stern blocks, then it's relatively easy from there on to get the rest of the boat on the trailer. It would be much easier if you had a roller trailer. Are you gonna try it?

Better yet, pay the $280 and tip him $20 for coming so fast and not dropping your boat. Yes, it's outrageous. But it's a boat, not a refrigerator.

and tip him $20 for coming so fast and not dropping your boat. Yes, it's outrageous. But it's a boat, not a refrigerator.

:funny-7327::haha-7383::clapsmiley::yb624:

How fast can you back up with the trailer attached :)

Pay the man. If you knock it off those blocks it's going to do more than $280.00 in damage. Not to mentioning having to hire him anyway to come lift it on to the trailer.

The risk of personal injury and damage to the boat is not worth any amount. $280 is cheap...

brick

There is a forklift company that will do it cheaper but they usually only lift cars..

BEDA9250-F259-4E55-A500-37FBE4FDF429_zps

We had a forktruck driver do that to a fellow drivers car. Other guy has bedding first ones wife.

Great out come by the company. Told married guy to drive more carefully. Second guy was offered a janitor position.

Love some people.

Better yet, pay the $280 and tip him $20 for coming so fast and not dropping your boat. Yes, it's outrageous. But it's a boat, not a refrigerator.

Well you should of negotiated the transfer to the trailer from the seller.

Pay the 280.....

I pay 165 deer for a lake call from my dealer who's less than 10 minutes away since I don't currently own a trailer (will change soon). That's in addition to any work. So, 280 doesn't sound too overpriced to me, other than being overpriced in general, if that makes sense.