Lilredbird

Best wax for above the waterline?

Since the snow here is 3 feet deep and there is 4 feet of ice on the lake. I've decided to wax the boat thoughts on this?

I'm thinking of liquid glass

Boat in question is a 246 SSI in wide band black.

That could work. Also Mcguivers (I think I spelled that right), Colonite, or Buff Magic Polish will work too. There are others that will work as well.

Ive always used a cleaner wax. That works well. Have used Nu-finish with descent results.

usually wax 1-2 times a year. More times than not after each use I spray the boat down with turtle wax ice.

I prefer 3M Marine Ultra Performance paste wax. On black hull it really looks like a mirror. There is a liquid wax from 3M In the summer for a quicker wax, 3M Scotchguard Marine liquid wax.

Getting her right and keeping her right is a two part process. Liquid Glass, or any other wax is keeping her right, but first you need to get her right. Polish removes light oxidation, deep cleans, and feeds the finish. The best I've used is Mequire's #45. If your shine is better after the first treatment, but not perfect, polish her again. Once you get her perfect, then wax her to protect the new finish over time. One coat of wax only. Wax accumulates, and polish does not. I personally do not like cleaner waxes as one step products don't give you the depth of color and sheer finish of a true polish. Remember too that the first coat of straight polish removes the old wax. The second coat really brings the Gel Coat into it's own. Unlike paint, Gel Coat drinks in the polymers from the polish and the more times you go over it, the better it looks. A single coat of quality wax then seals the finish but if you did not clean and prep with polish first all you are doing is sealing in the dirt, scratches, and oxidation. Mequires is now owned by 3M, and I like Mequires pure marine wax or 3M's marine wax. Easier to use then the Mequires Flagship boat wax, and seems to last just as long.

W

I prefer 3M Marine Ultra Performance paste wax. On black hull it really looks like a mirror. There is a liquid wax from 3M In the summer for a quicker wax, 3M Scotchguard Marine liquid wax.

Yep!

i have used all those. Including side by side. Collonite lasts longest. Though none go past 4-5 weeks. Like to hear about the liquid glass though if you try it.

I have used many different waxes. Many of them worked fine. Some were excellent.

The longest lasting I have used, over Meguires and Collinite, was Marine 31. It lasted an entire Pennsylvania season with 2 coats. (May through October, boat kept in water slip). Also used their HD cleaner wax which removed light to moderate oxidation. Very good product.

Jeff330 glad to hear that as I'll be trying buff magic this spring for the 1st time. ShipShapeTV recommended it too.

McQuires (?) reacted in Florida with a mold like surface ? I had to remove it ? Just an uneducated guess was that the critters loved to dine on it.?? Hot humid yummy.

Buff Magic is good for oxidized finish. Not a wax, and should not be used as such. Buff Magic user here for 8 years. Good Stuff.

Used the 3M waxes, they worked fine. I went back to Meguiar's Flagship several years ago. Work's as good as that flashy Sea Ray

user product Collonite IMO, but much more reasonably priced.

McQuires (?) reacted in Florida with a mold like surface ? I had to remove it ? Just an uneducated guess was that the critters loved to dine on it.?? Hot humid yummy.

My feeling with your failure is that the surface was not clean before wax was applied, providing a perfect little greenhouse for mold spores. When doing teak, I always clean, bleach, and dry completely before applying teak oil. Otherwise it will go black in a hurry. Been using Mequires since 1977 and have never seen what you are describing. 45 polish, and Special High-Tech Yellow Wax #25 back then. Whatever the heck that meant.

I use a product called Driven.

It has no wax in it , pure polymer.Every one has there favorites.

IF you want a good cleaner try Wizards finish cut, a light abrasive and leaves quite a good shine.

I also have used just about all the waxes out there. Tried high end, cheap, ones, infomercial, internet wax and I keep coming back to Nufinish for wax and Buff Magic. I just bought a 10lb pail of it. I honestly now believe that its not the type of wax so much as it is the frequency of waxing that keeps a boat ship shape. While there might be some that might make a boat pop just a little more than Nufinish I find that 2 coats with in a day of each other last a real long time and protects the best

Al

COLLINITE. I used to use No.925 boat wax(liquid), but then i switched to 885, the paste wax, its better, especially on a solid red boat.

the below awards also helped sell me. i read one of the where they tested it against other boat waxes. Its made in Utica, NY.

Editor's Choice Practical Sailor July 2009,

Top Paste Wax Powerboat Reports October 2004,

Top Performer Powerboat Reports 1994

I use this exactly as above. Good results for me.

I had a can of 885 that I never used on my old boat, and am now switching to it from ProPolish. So my process is now rotary Buff Magic and hand Collinite 885. How are you applying and removing the 885? Applicator and microfiber rag? Or microfiber bonnet on the rotary? Also, how often do you wax?

McGuire failure comment. I did a preclean with Boat US cleaner polish before applying Mc. Cleaned it down and applied another coat just for giggles.

first i get rid of the oxidation, its solid red, so the sun beats it above the rub rail. i have been using meguiars to get rid of the oxidation. then i go over it with 920 boat cleaner. apply the paste wax by hand with a cloth rag, remove with a microfiber bonnet on my buffer. above the rub rail, i have to do it again in late july. below the rub rail is fine. I have used the paste on my Camaro, look great.

I used Collinite 920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner. The cleaner will restore, and the wax will give you enhanced shine. You can use the cleaner first and then use the wax to finish with a clean, shiny fiberglass boat. It gets rid of mild oxidation, film, chalkiness, and discolouration. It protects against salt spray, UV, marine growth, outdoor corrosion, etc.

I use  the proven    G  &  T    system.    Reduces shoulder pain.