Sign in to follow this  
mrhodes916

Sunesta 223 engine alarm

I bought a 2003 Sunesta 223 with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi last year. It used to be that when I turned my key to the "On" position I would get the two or three loud beeps (sounded like a smoke alarm), and from what I have researched was probably the engine alarm system testing itself. However, I no longer get the beeps when I turn the key on (not exactly sure when this behavior changed). Just to confirm...was I supposed to be getting the beeps in the "On" position? Now that I'm not, is it most likely a fuse/breaker/wiring issue? Thanks in advance.

I am probably not a huge amount of help, in that I have a 5.0 Mercruiser, but I've never gotten any beeps out of mine, at all. I don't know if it even has an engine alarm system. I would think that someone with a 2003 Volvo would chime in. Maybe you want to re-post your question over on the main boat talk forum, as I think it gets more viewing.

In any case, the real reason I responded was to say that I was glad to see another 223 owner! I think you are the second here besides me. The 223 became the 234 the next year, but the style like ours, with the full wrap-around bench and the transom trunk is a pretty rare model. I like mine a lot, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine. It's a good boat.

Just to confirm...was I supposed to be getting the beeps in the "On" position? Now that I'm not, is it most likely a fuse/breaker/wiring issue? Thanks in advance.

Yes ... especially since you heard them before. Some boats might not have a buzzer installed, but yours obviously does.

I don't think there is a fuse dedicated to a buzzer only. There is a bunch of fuses inside a box mounted on the engine block. One might be out but then something else would not work ... worth checking nevertheless.

I suspect the buzzer went kaput or its wiring disconnected somewhere along the path. Open the dash and check the buzzer and its connections.

We love our 223, jmiska! My dad owned it previous to us, and I always looked forward to when he would take us out. We were never really in the market to buy our own boat but there came a time when he needed to get rid of it and he made us an offer that we couldn't refuse. It's perfect for our family of 5....spacious and versatile. Last summer was our first year owning it so much of the summer was a learning experience...towing, launching, retrieving, etc. This summer we'll be a bit more comfortable with it so we're really excited about getting back out on the water.

Thanks for the info, Richard. When I get a chance I'll dig around a little more and see what I can find. I might try posting in the other forum as well (if it isn't against the rules?).