The best wax is the one you use.

I like polymers and use a product called driven and finish first.

Marine 31 makes a whole line of products that are highly spoken of and I am sure the collinite fans will speak up also.

Make sure you have a nice clean surface.

You may want to use a cleaner wax or polish first.

There are also combo products.

Have fun and get a good workout!

Just finished mine.

waxed_zpsllw2qysi.jpg

Jeff is right.....I'll speak up for Collinite Fleetwax 885. I was using Buff Magic followed by Pro Polish (both by shurhold). Last year I had the Flying done when I bought her by a local guy, he used Aquabuff. Anyway, this week I switched my methods and buffed out with a rotary buffer/Buff Magic, and waxed with the 885 by hand. The results are pretty amazing. I didn't keep up with the ProPolish the last year as much as I would've liked. I'm hoping that the 885 will last, especially if I can keep putting coats on every 2months or so. The interweb is right.....the 885 is not the easiest product to use, but I found that it wasn't that bad. Just make sure you follow the instructions of applying with a damp applicator, and wiping off with a CLEAN microfiber almost immediately after you put it on, a nice 6.99 deer package of Harbor Freight microfibers was perfect for the job. DO NOT let the wax fully dry.

You be the judge:

c6adf11f2e9807d77ec6ae7a12618105.jpg

ec462e67b06df907316bd79c8769195a.jpg

683a538ada792dafecf698a3fdf8bc4d.jpg

Looks good Rob.

On Saturday I am anchored of ski island and when I go to jump off the back of the boat, I see something squigly in the water.

Then it opens its jaw and I see two fangs inside a white mouth....a water moccasin.

The current took him over the island and probably to the port.

Next Saturday I am going to stay at melbourne harbor and catch the airshow on Sunday

Polish makes the difference as it removes micro-oxidation and feeds the finish. Gel-coat is a sponge and needs to be fed on occasion. Replete the polish operation until the finish is perfect in your eyes, then follow up with a single coat of wax. Polish makes the finish, and wax keeps it. Multiple coats of wax will accumulate (not a good thing) and polish will not. The only reason to apply a second coat of wax is if you think you missed some spots the first time. I really like Mequires Boat Polish #35, and either their Flagship Marine Wax or their Pure Marine Wax.

Looks good Rob.

On Saturday I am anchored of ski island and when I go to jump off the back of the boat, I see something squigly in the water.

Then it opens its jaw and I see two fangs inside a white mouth....a water moccasin.

The current took him over the island and probably to the port.

Next Saturday I am going to stay at melbourne harbor and catch the airshow on Sunday

Yikes.....Ive heard they are around here but have never seen one. I do not care for that, I'll be honest.....especially at Skl Island. I wouldn't mind watching the airshow either, but I am on reserve that weekend and will probably be flying overhead myself! We'll see what happens. I ate at Harbortown last night and watched them put your boat away....looked good up on that workstand!

The best wax is the one you use.

I like polymers and use a product called driven and finish first.

Marine 31 makes a whole line of products that are highly spoken of and I am sure the collinite fans will speak up also.

Make sure you have a nice clean surface.

You may want to use a cleaner wax or polish first.

There are also combo products.

Have fun and get a good workout!

Just finished mine.

waxed_zpsllw2qysi.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful boat! Absolutely spectacular and I like the all-white too every once in a while. Really nice, everything, except that turd emblem of that crap, lightning in a bottle NFL team on the rear hatch door, there LOL! :D Just messin' with you. Really, though, gorgeous boat. Love the Chap Sigs of all years, actually.

Wow, what a beautiful boat! Absolutely spectacular and I like the all-white too every once in a while. Really nice, everything, except that turd emblem of that crap, lightning in a bottle NFL team on the rear hatch door, there LOL! :D Just messin' with you. Really, though, gorgeous boat. Love the Chap Sigs of all years, actually.

Here we go..... :-)

Harem..just one thing

18 and 1! Kiss my stern!

Why even mention the rematch! That would be lightning in a bottle twice.

Thanks, most 310's have a color band, I thought this was a bit different.

I do like the drop kick murphys though.

I appreciate the information regarding polishing first and then wax. I had some scratches removed by my local marina and they suggested in order to blend in the new shinier areaa with a polish and wax ton the entire black wide band (for less than 100 deer). Now I know to do the same to the white gelcoat this spring.

• 1 year later...
On March 16, 2015 at 10:02 AM, jeffk said:

First and hopefully last time in 11 years I have seen a snake.

i tried a product called hot sauce to wipe down the boat, removes water spots.

So far so good.

Used Hot Sauce today for the first time after hearing all the positive hub bub.

The stuff is a amazing !!!  and SO !! Easy to use.

I agree Macguires is a great wax and an excellent protectant but this Sauce is the Bomb when it comes to a quick wiped own.

I just did mine with two coats og Meguiars polish finished up with two coats of their flagship marine wax.  Very happy with how it looks.

What's everyone's opinion of waxing the bottom?  I did it, but I'm thinking it's just going to wear off after a few runs.

I used meguirs oxidation removal, then used the Collinate 885 paste wax.  it held up longer than some of the liquid waxes i tried.  below are some of the awards it won.  i only use 885 on my chap.  $18.95 on ebay, free shipping.  $27 plus tax at West Marine

Editor's Choice Practical Sailor July 2009,

Top Paste Wax Powerboat Reports October 2004,

Top Performer Powerboat Reports 1994

I use Meguiars all the way! I use Meguiars oxidation remover and then follow up with Meguiars wax. Also, Polish should be used before the wax. It's not the best pic, but it is a 20 year old boat, so in my opinion it cleaned up nice. 

ou-G6BM9i19let-Gs5oCZou6iyx_wNLR4y11DJOu