Samstinson

Problems

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1994 200 SL LTD Chaparral. My fuel gauge and my tachometer and my speedometer do not work correctly. The speedometer is off by about 5 mph and the fuel gauge just bounces around and the tachometer does not work at all. I've looked for wiring diagrams to find the problem. Does anybody have any suggestions?

If they are all original, it is probably time for replacements, especially the gas gauge, they barely worked when they were new.

Test the circuits, to see if you have power going to each unit. Denny.

Check all connections / plugs to the gauges. Does the wiring look like a lot of DIY has been done to it ?

5 mph is close enough.

Bouncing gauge can be loose connection at gauge or the fuel tank.

If you use METAL tools on wire connections ? REMOVE 1 battery cable clamp COMPLETLY. Including any smaller wires that are screwed to the post.

That will stop you from causing a short circuit & burning up something.

Depending on the connections on the rear of the gauges, you might be able to check for corrosion causing the problems. I believe you'll have VDO gauges, that are sometimes of the style where the wiring connections are sealed.

11046626_102_030920091928_4.jpg

Gaugetesting.jpg

You too?? I just bought a 2014 327 SSX and within the first four weeks, half the rocker switches popped off from the dashboard and last week, half my gauges stopped working. the service techs at the marina tell me there a lot of water and moisture in the gauges and causing those and other gauges to fail. Is it me, or shouldn't gauge casing on boats be watertight???

anyone have similar experience?

thanks