Sign in to follow this  
MattE

New to me 2008 Sig 250..alarms,beeping,shore power tripping..question?

Hey guys!

I use to own a Signature 240 but recently purchased a 2008 Signature 250 with 85 hours this past August and had it put on blocks as soon as I paid for it. I never actually used the boat after the purchase, just the sea trial as I was a two boat owner at the time. Now it's time to wake this baby up from it's hibernation! With having no experience with this boat, I seem to have a few gremlins...and or questions..3 to be exact!

1 - The carbon monoxide detector keeps going off even after it has been reset, even with the engine off! I was about to hit it with a hammer in frustration but opted to unplug the small pin from the battery. What gives with this?

2 - It was getting dark out tonight and the alarm underneath the steering wheel (by your knee's) started going off as well. I hit one of the buttons and it stopped. I remember it being a nuisance on the sea trial but I can't remember what it was for? Any ideas on how to deal with this?

3 - I decided to plug the 250 in to shore power like I always would do with the 240. I made sure that all breaker switches were off in the cabin and for the shore power plug. I used the shore power Marinco adapter like always and when I turned on the shore power breaker it would trip the GFCI receptacle! I'm doing the exact same thing as I did with the 240 Sig with no issues but it always trips with the 250Sig! Any suggestions or advise on this??

Again thanks as always for your help!

Cheers!

M

Hey guys!

I use to own a Signature 240 but recently purchased a 2008 Signature 250 with 85 hours this past August and had it put on blocks as soon as I paid for it. I never actually used the boat after the purchase, just the sea trial as I was a two boat owner at the time. Now it's time to wake this baby up from it's hibernation! With having no experience with this boat, I seem to have a few gremlins...and or questions..3 to be exact!

1 - The carbon monoxide detector keeps going off even after it has been reset, even with the engine off! I was about to hit it with a hammer in frustration but opted to unplug the small pin from the battery. What gives with this?

2 - It was getting dark out tonight and the alarm underneath the steering wheel (by your knee's) started going off as well. I hit one of the buttons and it stopped. I remember it being a nuisance on the sea trial but I can't remember what it was for? Any ideas on how to deal with this?

3 - I decided to plug the 250 in to shore power like I always would do with the 240. I made sure that all breaker switches were off in the cabin and for the shore power plug. I used the shore power Marinco adapter like always and when I turned on the shore power breaker it would trip the GFCI receptacle! I'm doing the exact same thing as I did with the 240 Sig with no issues but it always trips with the 250Sig! Any suggestions or advise on this??

Again thanks as always for your help!

Cheers!

M

1) Replace, they go bad after 5 years I've heard.

2) Not sufficient info

3) Not sure

Enjoy and hope you get it all worked out! :beer-7687-1:

I had a similar problem with shore power. If plugged into my slip GFCI power outlet, the GFCI would immediately trip. If I used an extension cord and plugged into the slip next door, no problem. I concluded that my slip GFCI was extra sensitive or defective. Then I tried tripping the GFCI on while the boat was plugged in with a power draw from the boat - my battery charger. The GCFI did not trip off with a connected load on the boat.

I had a similar problem with shore power. If plugged into my slip GFCI power outlet, the GFCI would immediately trip. If I used an extension cord and plugged into the slip next door, no problem. I concluded that my slip GFCI was extra sensitive or defective. Then I tried tripping the GFCI on while the boat was plugged in with a power draw from the boat - my battery charger. The GCFI did not trip off with a connected load on the boat.

Sorry, not sure I follow you but it sounds like you had some success? I'm not using an extension cord, just the shore power cord with Marinco adapter. So you turned on the panel in the boat, had the breaker on for the shore power cord and then plugged in to the GFCI?

1. Low battery voltage

2. Not enough info

3. What adapter are you talking about.

Low battery voltage? Hmmm, these batteries are freshly charged. So the unit must be bad I guess? Are these worth replacing or should I just leave it unplugged?

Here is the adapter...I'm terrible at resizing photos on here but here's a link http://www.go2marine.com/product/384932F/marinco-shorepower-straight-adapter-eel-15a-male-30a-female.html

Have you tested the batteries? You made no indication they are freshly charged. Only saying your boat has been on the blocks for months. If the batteries are original they might be toast.

Goto Xintex's website and download the owners manual specific to your CO detector so you can see the default readings and what they mean.

You ask if they are worth replacing? The answer is yes. We don't want to read about you in the newspaper because you died of CO poisoning.

Congrats, Matty, on that beautiful Sig 250! Did you attempt the jacking off the blocks and onto a trailer yourself or did you have it done? :) That was a tricky situation for sure. Love that color, BTW.

All I have for you is that even if those smoke and co detectors might be a bit expensive, I would take the hit and invest in some new ones anyway just for peace of mind and then if the problem persists, at least you'll know it's not the smokes themselves. Good luck, man and let's go good weather! :)

All I have for you is that even if those smoke and co detectors might be a bit expensive, I would take the hit and invest in some new ones anyway just for peace of mind and then if the problem persists, at least you'll know it's not the smokes themselves. Good luck, man and let's go good weather! :)

I agree with Hatem. My CO detector on our 2008 250 Sig is/was doing the same thing. There's a thread on here about those particular CO detectors...they are designed to start beeping after a certain period of time. HOWEVER, if memory serves, they weren't equipped with that feature until AFTER 2008 (maybe as late as 2013 again if memory serves?). Still, there's a reason the new ones expire and I would replace it. I purchased a secondary CO detector as "insurance" with an actual ppm readout. Will replace the hard wired one soon.

Regarding the "alarm underneath the steering wheel", I have never had any alarm from that location. Are you sure it's not from your chart plotter or other helm-installed accessory?

For what it's worth, I have never had a shore power GFCI trip. Those things are pretty robust, so don't jump too quickly to the conclusion that it's a problem with the marina's power. Do you have a generator? Can you fire it up, flip the breaker and see similar results? I'm no electrician, but if that also trips, then you have at least narrowed it down to the boat. If not, then maybe it's in your AC receptacle or the marina's equipment.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your trips and some pics! It's a great boat!

As to the CO detectors. If it is low voltage, and your batteries are charged up. Than take a voltage reading at the detector and the battery and compair the two. There might be a bad connection (low voltage) or a bad CO detector.

As to the beeping, yes not enough info. How many times it it beeping than restarting?

Most docks do not have a GFI oulet. Your shore power cord is rated at 30 amps and that GFI is ether 15 or 20 amps. The boat maybe pulling more amps than the old one. Just something to look at.

GFIs have been known to go bad and there not rated for out side use. Meaning, there not water tight and after a few years, they do go bad. I would test your galvanic isolator. Its real easy to do with an ohms meter. Than check the wiring from the boats shore power connector to the panel.