Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caphilli

Towing Capacity

21 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get the new 2015 GMC Canyon V6.

It's rated to tow up to 7,000lbs, but I wanted to get your thoughts on towing our 2005 Chaparral 236.

What do you think? Will the truck be enough?

Side note: We have another car that we usually use to tow it, this is just a secondary truck.

I was going to ask Futzy the same thing, too. This site shows it towing a decent-sized boat and it mentions the 7000 lbs capacity so it's all in how much your boat & trailer weigh which you can find out on any dump scale.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/09/2015-chevrolet-colorado-and-gmc-canyon-v6-first-drive/

This site says a 2005 236 SSi weighs 3,650 lbs and if your trailer is the biggest and baddest trailer known to mankind, it wouldn't weigh more than 3,000 lbs so you'd be under the tow capacity and I find it hard to believe the trailer for that boat would weigh that much in the first place. I think you're pretty safe.

http://features.boats.com/boat-content/2005/01/powerboat-performance-report-chaparral-236-ssi/

Interestingly enough the 2015 246 SSi weighs 4,400 lbs dry so I would venture to safely guess that a 2005 236 H2O is quite lighter, hence well in the weight limit.

I was going to ask Futzy the same thing, too. This site shows it towing a decent-sized boat and it mentions the 7000 lbs capacity so it's all in how much your boat & trailer weigh which you can find out on any dump scale.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/09/2015-chevrolet-colorado-and-gmc-canyon-v6-first-drive/

This site says a 2005 236 SSi weighs 3,650 lbs and if your trailer is the biggest and baddest trailer known to mankind, it wouldn't weigh more than 3,000 lbs so you'd be under the tow capacity and I find it hard to believe the trailer for that boat would weigh that much in the first place. I think you're pretty safe.

http://features.boats.com/boat-content/2005/01/powerboat-performance-report-chaparral-236-ssi/

Interestingly enough the 2015 246 SSi weighs 4,400 lbs dry so I would venture to safely guess that a 2005 236 H2O is quite lighter, hence well in the weight limit.

Well, our 2005 is a Sunesta. Which I believe weighs right around 4,500lbs. Our trailer is standard, so I don't think it will bring it above 7,000.

First things first...get your boat/trailer ig weighed so you're not guessing at something that is so easy to find out the ground truth on.

If you are looking at buying the truck (suv) with the purpose of towing the boat (even if only as a secondary tow vehicle), I would tell the dealer you want to see how well it tows your boat. Set up a time to drag your boat down with your primary tow vehicle and swap it over and take it for a test drive. Drive it in the conditions you expect to drive it when towing your boat. Evaluate acceleration, braking, and handling...and throw some heavy suitcases in the back too. It may feel like a little overkill, and a little embarrassing, but it's a lot less embarrassing than spending a crap ton of money on something that's not going to do what you want it to.

We bought my wife's pathfinder over a minivan because I'm a man and refuse to drive a minivan...but the reason I actually justified it was that it was rated to tow my boat empty (right at the 5k# limit) which would be very helpful the next time we move cross country. I've not yet hooked the boat to it, but after owning it for a year and a half now, I have serious doubts about its ability to tow that boat.

Playing the guessing game is fun, but I'm a fan of actually getting out there and doing it before it costs you money.

Gotta look at payload too. Typicaly your over that long before your tow rating. In real world 5000 is a good weight for that truck. Nobod should be at the max rating

Do you have mid summer slime on the ramp during the summer ? We used buckets of sand & gallons of bleach to get traction.

I just goose it! Haha. But really having the hill start assist on the truck helps but it takes a second to kick off and when it does the turbo is already spooled and im spinning as im pulling mine out. Lol

I think your not gunna like the feeling of 7000 lbs behind that truck especially on the ramp.

That's probably the biggest consideration, is not necessarily trailering from point A to point B, but being able to brake safely and specifically pulling up the ramp with a wet and heavy boat. Good point.

I had a ram 1500 and i had no doubt it would pull my 276 but stopping would have been another story. My number 1 fear was being stuck at a launch not able to get my boat out. So after i bought the boat i got the new truck.

I had a ram 1500 and i had no doubt it would pull my 276 but stopping would have been another story. My number 1 fear was being stuck at a launch not able to get my boat out. So after i bought the boat i got the new truck.

Yep, even with my F-350 and surge brakes on both axles on the trailer I can feel the momentum of that beast back there. :) Really dying to see the difference with the new truck. When is this season starting? Dang, but the weather forecast was very promising today - weatherman actually said we're going to hit the 80's before we see 70's I was like WTF is this guy talking about how is that even possible lol! :D

Its a beautiful weekend here in SE MI, but im working all weekend. I work right on the river so i get to watch all the other boaters and fishermen having fun! I do get a good view though! I just put some air bags on my truck too, man is it sweet. never have to worry about adjusting headlights again

Wow, nice pics. Look at the size of that freighter holy cow. The bottom picture is wild. I looked up the American Century is says it's 1000 ft LOA with a 105 ft beam lol. Nice day boat, huge bowrider.

Yep, its not the largest boat we get, the Paul Tregurtha is the largest vessel on the great lakes at 1014ft.

Yep, even with my F-350 and surge brakes on both axles on the trailer I can feel the momentum of that beast back there. :) Really dying to see the difference with the new truck. When is this season starting? Dang, but the weather forecast was very promising today - weatherman actually said we're going to hit the 80's before we see 70's I was like WTF is this guy talking about how is that even possible lol! :D

Hatem, I'm towing my 276 with a F150

mustang001.jpg

My goodness, look who it is how you been, stranger? :) And what a beauty of a rig that is wowzah! Love that whole setup.

My experiences are probably the result of a 10 year-old truck that has done a lot in those ten years, probably carried enough lumber to build 30 homes and I had the original shocks and struts on it last year, just changed them and a head gasket on it's way out PLUS, I mostly felt it when I was breaking like I mentioned and that was probably the result of a frozen rotor in the rear brakes so they weren't all working properly. Breaking was really the only time I felt her weight behind me but that's to be expected, I guess. Towing power and torque was never an issue, really.

Hatem, I'm towing my 276 with a F150

If you don't mind me asking, what is the total weight of your boat and trailer? I think the 250Sig is just a tad heavier and I'd be interested to know how your truck performs at the ramp. Beautiful boat, by the way!