Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gnarlykaw

ZEBRA MUSSELS AT BULL SHOALS LAKE

8 posts in this topic

It has been pretty spotty on this lake, some had them, some not, but seems like this spring, their ALL over! one ruined outdrive at my dock, and the foats are covered! my lift is two years old, and we had NONE when i pulled out in the fall, but this spring, WOW1 I got some work ahead of me!!

They are simply breeding as fast as possible due to extremely rich water & sediment. No known eaters of them. Eventually they super clean the waters & then the " CRASH IN NUMBERS ". The water color & odors disappear. See a anchor on the bottom. They will not clean up silt / dirty water.

Thanks to ships & planes & immigrants bringing in everything from their native waters & lands more & more ?

Trailered boats & trailers with pockets of water in them do spread the changes. There is absolutely nothing we can do about these modern changes. Just accept that the critters of all types " skyrocket " sometime, because they get to fish processing / dumping areas. Restarted clam beds. The discharges of any food processing plants. Raw sewage from large housing developments. Grass clippings, Cattle poop. lawn fertilizers. Get the idea how difficult it is to stop changes in the waters ?

Now do the same logic for weeds & slime growths that take over in the cleaner water.

Changes will happen . Mother nature & survival of those that grow faster in the new water conditions will rule. Way off in time. All the changes do stabilize.

Mostly not what we grew up with. Try not to get upset over these changes. We would only screw it up differently if we tried to force a change.

That is a shame, we have them on our lakes up here and in spring after the ice shoves they will cut off channels from the lake. Some people can walk across them to the other side. What is worse the DNR is very strict on how you can remove them and some channels never get cleared cutting of boat access to some homes. Nothing like seeing the value of your house plummet.

On the lake that we boat when we go up North does not have them and I always drain the block and double check everything on the bottom and trailer before I put it in up there. It is a serious problem for sure.

Copper Sulphate IS IS still legal in some states ?? Many people still use it with good results. IT KILLS PLANTS & INSECTS & FISH.

They have traveled into Texas. Some had been found in the lake where I boat a few years ago. Not seen them yet, I think they choke on the muddy water.

Ummmm until they train all the wild ducks not to eat and poop them out they will go from lake to lake no mater how careful you are with bilge water. They are bad but they clean up the water like crazy.