246inColorado

100 hour service

Hi owners,

I am nearing 100 hours on our 2012 Chap 246 and I wanted to ask the experienced what I should ask for. Typically when someone asks for 500.00+ deer for this service, I want to know what I should be asking for, and what detail should I clear up before paying, and the list of items that should be checked off by the dealer.

I do tow a lot, and my biggest interests are in whether the engine is fully seated and secured. Any other suggestions I what I should have the dealer clarify on this service? I intentionally did not have the drive service done before the last full dry winterize last September. Any suggestions?

Usually this involves pulling the drive checking the the alinement, gimbal, and bellows. They probibly will change out the impeller also. It just the labor part that is expensive. This needs to to be done every 100 hrs or three years.

$500 to check a few things and oil? Whoa...you could check everything, change oil and filter, fuel filter, and change gear oil and be ahead $400. If you want to check drive alignment get the $30 (eBay) tool and make sure it slides in easily. I don't think you'll have any issues with that, but you never know. Usually alignment only gets off if your motor mounts rot which doesn't happen on a New boat. Things to check are hoses, belts, manifolds/risers, engine temperature, and make sure the oils don't have water. Also, go ahead and grease the steering, shift cables, throttle cables, with marine grease and that's it. This should only take you a few hours and it's all very easy. You'll save over $300. The only reason I wouldn't do it myself is If it voids your warranty.

You guys are joking on the price for the 100 hour service right???

I am in Australia and to get my Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi done with an annual service (engine and leg) is minimum AU$1,500 including parts. Remembering with the current exchange rate that increases by 25% to covert to US dollars (~US$1900).

I have downloaded the manual off the Volvo website for my engine and going to change the engine oil, impeller, check rises and manifolds (replace gaskets) etc. myself next time. May grow big enough balls to service the leg too.

Enjoy the strength of the US economy as ours is completely stuffed under the Abbott Government. Not a political comment but sharing the cost differentials between our two countries.

One comment on the impeller. For Volvo, it should be changed yearly (it spins at a higher speed then Merc impellers) but it's a easy to access (right in the front of the engine) and so should not cost much labor at all to change.

One comment on the impeller. For Volvo, it should be changed yearly (it spins at a higher speed then Merc impellers) but it's a easy to access (right in the front of the engine) and so should not cost much labor at all to change.

just did mine the first time. 4 bolts on the housing, and two bolts on the bracket. 10min job no lie. Wouldnt pay somebody to do that, nor the fluids.

Usually this involves pulling the drive checking the the alinement, gimbal, and bellows. They probibly will change out the impeller also. It just the labor part that is expensive. This needs to to be done every 100 hrs or three years.

I cannot possibly imagine having to pull the drive every 100 hours! This has to be a mistake. Thats like pulling your cars transmission every 3000 miles! Does anyone REALLY do this?

I cannot possibly imagine having to pull the drive every 100 hours! This has to be a mistake. Thats like pulling your cars transmission every 3000 miles! Does anyone REALLY do this?

Unbolting an outdrive is not difficult. As a teenager I worked at a marina and did it all the time - in minutes. Back then, for Mercs it was six 9/16th nuts if my memory is correct.

You guys are joking on the price for the 100 hour service right???

I am in Australia and to get my Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi done with an annual service (engine and leg) is minimum AU$1,500 including parts. Remembering with the current exchange rate that increases by 25% to covert to US dollars (~US$1900).

I have downloaded the manual off the Volvo website for my engine and going to change the engine oil, impeller, check rises and manifolds (replace gaskets) etc. myself next time. May grow big enough balls to service the leg too.

Enjoy the strength of the US economy as ours is completely stuffed under the Abbott Government. Not a political comment but sharing the cost differentials between our two countries.

Make friends with some guy in the U.S. Let them buy the parts and send you a gift...pay with PayPal.

Every year. The first year I found water in the bellows. Brand new boat. I now believe it is condensation from high humidity and numerous extreme temperture swings in the winter. So now I just pull it in the fall and reinstall in the spring.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am unfortunately living in an apartment for about 4 more months and won't have access to use my old driveway. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely make sure that all the items get crossed off the list before they provide the service. For now I will start replacing the impeller and checking the impeller. All valuable advice!

on a new boat, 100% check the engine alignment. the motor mounts do not have to be bad for the engine to shift, it will. that is only item that i pay for. like others have said the impeller is a 10 min job and the replacement of the fluids is also fairly easy, just get the replacement O-rings for the vent and drain plugs.

depending on the water you boat in your impeller can last for mulitple seasons. its a cheap part but i boat in very clean water and the impellers were just changed after 2 seasons and still look new - but changed anyway.