Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hjs1971

water pump leaking

13 posts in this topic

Previous 2 times out on the boat, for about 45 minutes each, I noticed a little rust on all of the pulleys on the serpentine belt and the engine was running rough until it had "warmed up" for about 5-10 minutes, strange but once running normally, all gauges showed temps, etc in limits. Mechanic was changing the fluids last week and he told me the raw water pump had sprung a leak and was spraying salt water onto the belt which was making the pulley rusted. It's a 2008 256SSx with the Mercruiser 350 Mag and it has 153 hours on it, has anyone heard of this before, is it a common thing?!? I'm not sure if I need a whole new pump and all new pulleys and belt, waiting for a second opinion. I'm thinking that is going to eat up all of my tax refund if I do! Any thoughts?

Don't know much about Mercs so I'm no help with the pump, but I'm guessing it'll be cheaper to get the pulleys blasted and powder coated if they are metal than to replace them. Lots info online about how to tell if you need a new belt. Worst case is buy a spare belt and carry it around until you need it. They are easy enough to swap out in a few minutes.

Its a Chevy block. So the water pump (not the raw water pump) is very straight forward to replace.

If the tech meant the raw water pump (where the rubber impeller is, under the Gen 3 cool fuel module) leaks water, than I'd look into installing a Hardin ss Gen 7 pump. Is the shaft coming out? The brass housing could be grooved internally as well. That style of seawater pump had an issue of the seals and shaft walking out of the housing.

Not cheap, but if the boat was mine, and the OEM seawater (raw) pump was giving me these symptoms and needing replacing along with the pulley, I'd install this:

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-16817-stainless-steel-gen-7-sea-pump-for-mercury-350-mag-496-mag-ho-82l-mag-and-502-mag-with-pulley.aspx

NOTE: this style of pump bolts on directly to the rear section of the OEM pump that the intake and discharge hoses are attached to, and doesn't matter if the rear OEM housing is grooved from the current impeller.

625-4101_1.jpg

Look on the bright side - You got a refund :)

Not that bright ... he gave the government a loan without interest.

I've got a large refund this year and gave my CPA an earful ... :wacko:

Back on topic ... interesting idea by Shep. Looks like an easy DYI project with some basic tools.

Just curious ... if the pump mounts to the existing pump housing, and I assume keeps the same distance from the block to the pulley/belt, isn't its size/capacity diminished by its shallower depth?

I like Sheps idea as well. OEM pumps are more expensive and (possibly) of lesser quality. Gonna get a second opinion and possibly get the pump shep pointed out, thanks guys!!,

The Hardin pump mounts to the rear section of OEM seawater pump, which is really a wear plate and intake/discharge housing. In speaking with Merc, they say the Gen 7 OEM pump was designed to have plenty of capacity. (more than say the Volvo design) I do know that using the Hardin pump, the impeller style goes back to the 2001 and older 47-59362 series impeller, vs. the Gen 7 OEM impeller 47-862232a2. The sizing and vane design of these 2 impellers is pretty close. Perhaps Hardin went with this impeller purely to get around any concerns over patents? Just a guess. To answer your question, I honestly don't know if capacity was diminished in any way.

We've done several of these Hardin pumps, and they seem to work very well. Look and feel to be a very high quality item at any rate.

To answer your question, I honestly don't know if capacity was diminished in any way.

Probably not much if at all since it mounts to a flat mounting plate. Souns like a good pump and a great idea.

Just out of curiosity, why do some replacement pumps have air fittings and others don't? I'm looking at part # 862914T10 or T11 (I think that's the right part for motor with serial numbers in the 1A05XXX range).

The pump with air fittings were standard on the 496 Mag engines, and optional on the small block V8 MPI models. (air actuator water drain models) The hoses go into the rear wear plate section of the seawater pump, which is the piece that would be still retained for use with the Hardin ss pump. Regular versions of the small block V8 Bravo engines came without the air actuator.

The air hoses go into items # 15 & # 16 in the first picture below.

45017.png

2360.png