Sub and Amp / Location

For those that may have a Signature 280(01) do you have any recommendations for the location for an amp and sub. I just installed new speakers and stereo and they sound great and the bass is great in the cabin but needs a little in the cockpit so I am looking for places to install the sub and amp. Thanks

Whatever you do I would try to get the subs and amp as close to eachother as possible, and get the amp as close as you can to the batteries.. Helps save on running wires. Both boats Ive had Ive used regular automotive amps, kept them under the seat and they never failed.

I just did this upgrade on my boat...

I put the amp inside the cabin in the storage area under the dinette cushion closest to the aft of the boat (the dinette should have three separate cushions). I thought about putting it in the storage locker to the left as you enter the cabin, but decided against it. To run the wires, you can remove the TV and drop them down into the storage area from up top, and still be able to reach around and access the radio.

I mounted the sub in the forward engine compartment next to the water tank. If you lay down there and look forward, there is a TON of empty space next to the tank and behind the water heater. If you can fold yourself into the right position, you can actually crawl back there and sit up while doing the work. I'm assuming this is why they redesigned the cabin in the future 270s/290s - it's literally dead space.

With the sub down below, you get just the right amount of bass without overpowering the rest of the sound. I think it's a great balance for the cabin and the cockpit - not too much bass in one area.

My sub is just one of the marine Bazooka tubes. I had it in my 230 SSI due to space and when I sold the boat, I kept it. We loved it on the 230 and it works just as well on the 280. It can get soaking wet and keeps working. I don't think it'll get wet on the 280, but on the 230, when people would come onboard after swimming, some water would splash on it, or when washing out the bilge it would get wet. Still works like a champ. Some reviews say that it doesn't give enough bass - if you want bass that can be heard across the lake, this isn't the sub for you. If you want deeper bass than regular 6.5" speakers can give without overpowering the sound, I think it's perfect.

My amp is a 350W JBL Marine amp. It powers the sub and two exterior speakers. I left the cabin speakers hard wired to the radio because we rarely have them on (I put a indoor/outdoor speaker zone switch) and I didn't want them pulling power from the amp and taking it away from the sub and outside speakers. Overall, I'm very happy with the set up.

sounds just like what I want to do. I just put a new Kenwood in and two new JL speakers out and left the ones in the cabin and all sounds great especially in the cabin, it has perfect amount of bass but none in the cockpit. My thought was to add a sub and just an amp to power the sub. Thanks for the replies, any pictures? how and where did you feed the wire to hook up the sub to the stereo. I know there is a lot of space where you are talking about but being 6'3" really does not help me. :scratchchin: I saw in one of the other post you were having issues with a water leak. Hope you get it straight, that is a bit out of my league so sorry I can not offer any help.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos right now, but can certainly grab some while I'm on the boat the first weekend of May.

I mounted the sub to the carpet board that separates the furthest rear dinette storage and the middle dinette storage. Make sure to use spacers so air can flow behind the amp, especially since it's near carpet.

With the TV hole empty, I dropped a hanger down behind the cabinet (you can feel where the cabinet wood ends - there are more wires back there as well, so be slow) and this drops right into the storage compartment. My a/c unit is mounted down there, so I ran the wires TO the amp around it.

Also in the space behind the TV, you will see a bunch of wires going through the bulkhead into the engine compartment. This is where I ran my + and - lines for the battery hook-up, as well as the speaker wire to connect the sub to the amp.

Connecting to the stereo is the easiest. Assuming your head unit is in the same spot as mine (in the control panel next to the TV), you need to remove the head unit and you can pass the wires from the TV area into the area behind the head unit pretty easily.

My only advice - go SLOW and test everything and anything (including other electrical components) BEFORE putting everything back together. For me, the 3rd time was a charm (because I didn't listen to my own advice). I had a stereo power cable come loose when sliding the head unit back in, so I got to pull that out again. I also had speaker wires crossed and wasn't getting sound to one speaker. Out came the speakers. By the 3rd time, I was good to go. :)

IF your going that far with the amp be sure to get 0 gauge wire for the power and ground(more so the ground). I found this out the hard way installing my system in my old boat. Could not figure out why everything was on but no sound for hours. ended being that 8 gauge wire wouldnt carry enough ohms for it. Ended moving the amp to the back of the boat in the back seat, it worked with a 4foot wire. Was going to move it back to the cabin, but it stayed there and I was happy with it. .

Run all of your wires and test everything before buttoning it up.

If your changing head units make sure the wires are right, that was my headache in the last install I did recently. Boat wires are different than auto and most marine head units are still wired for auto. For instance black went to yellow, yellow went to red, etc.

Thanks guys. New head unit is in with two new speakers and it sounds great. Just needs a little bass in the cockpit area. The cabin is spot on with nothing need to be added. Chappy(our boats are the same for layout and function) so you put the amp under the seat(my ac unit is there too) and ran all wires to connect to the stereo up through the tv cabinet(got it) where did you mount the sub? I need the bass in the cockpit area. I think I mis-understood you. Is your sub under the port seat(completely under) in the cockpit. I was thinking if I could get back there and mount it somewhere that would work great and I would not have to cut any holes and I should be able to fish wires to the cabinet in the cabin. Thoughts?