Swim Platform cover

Do any of you cover your swim platform while in the slip? We have terrible spider dropping problems at the docks. I have the cockpit cover and it protects well, but it leaves the swim platform unprotected. With the new platform (and cockpit) floors on the way, I'd like to be able to protect the swim platform when leaving the boat.

I am considering installing a couple snaps on either side of the platform and procuring a simple tarp installing matching snaps. Is there a better way? Trying to envision bungee cords, etc. as well. It doesn't need to look good, but it will need to withstand some wind when storms roll through.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Black Teak decking sounds HOT on bare feet :o . I would look for some sort of cover... my swim platform sticks out under my covered slip so it is constantly washed by the rain.. less ideal but limits the spider poop.

No joke! That would indeed be hot. I reverse into the slip, so the platform is completely covered by the boathouse. When I got to the boat this weekend, I have never seen it so disgusting. With the new flooring on the way, I don't want to chance the spider poop. I don't mind cleaning it, but I'm not convinced I could get it all. That stuff stains something awful.

Good idea, but too small. 79" and 69"? I don't know my exact dimensions, but I think it's longer than that.

Thats kinda neet....

Cheap way migh be to pick up a small poly tarp at HD, cut it in half drape it over the rear from the cover down. It would hokey, though.

I don't care what it looks like in the slip. As long as it's secure. Cheap is good too! Just thinking of ways to secure it without drilling and screwing snaps into the side of the platform. This seems like it should be an easy solution, but I don't think it's obvious.

Good idea, but too small. 79" and 69"? I don't know my exact dimensions, but I think it's longer than that.

I don't care what it looks like in the slip. As long as it's secure. Cheap is good too! Just thinking of ways to secure it without drilling and screwing snaps into the side of the platform. This seems like it should be an easy solution, but I don't think it's obvious.

Sorry about that - this one might be better.

https://www.beyondthewake.com/teak-deck-swim-platform-cover.php

Click on "Click here to give dimensions needed" and you can get a pretty custom fit one for $79? Might be a little more for that 9ft beam of yours or whatever it is. But that would be worth it to me if you have that spider dung breakout and you know what everything in Texas is, right? BIGGER! lol :D

Good luck.

I got a large tarp at Harbor Freight with grommet holes around the edge. I fold it in half and then attach bungees in 6 locations. Two from each edge to the tie down points on the transom and two to the grab rail below the rear seat. It's very tight and has held up to a winter's worth of wind. It's a pain to take off and remove, though.

Sorry about that - this one might be better.

https://www.beyondthewake.com/teak-deck-swim-platform-cover.php

Click on "Click here to give dimensions needed" and you can get a pretty custom fit one for $79? Might be a little more for that 9ft beam of yours or whatever it is. But that would be worth it to me if you have that spider dung breakout and you know what everything in Texas is, right? BIGGER! lol :D

Good luck.

Hmmm...that looks like my solution. Looks like maybe it has drawstrings to pull snug?

Okay I got the solution!!! Go to Wal-Mart and buy a tarp and two 25 pound weights. Problem solved!

I'm all for cheap. That's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about that one.

I got a large tarp at Harbor Freight with grommet holes around the edge. I fold it in half and then attach bungees in 6 locations. Two from each edge to the tie down points on the transom and two to the grab rail below the rear seat. It's very tight and has held up to a winter's worth of wind. It's a pain to take off and remove, though.

Now I like this, but I don't want something that's a pain to take off. I'll have to check for tiedown spots on our boat.

what about having the marina spray the roof area of your slip while you are out for a day or two?? The money you pay each month should cover their meager costs..... :hehe:

What product would they spray? I feel my marina is rather "low-budget", so maybe it's something I could spray?

Home depot has the Hudson sprayers...the ones you stroke a few times and it gives you needed pressure...Then add some bug/spider killer concentrate...and go wild with it...I never knew spiders pooped...This would be easier than wrangling a cover every trip in....

i pay about $150 / summer (3) applications for an exterminator to spray my house outside and inside as the spiders are really bad. it works very well. i like the suggestion above, pay the Orkin man to come over and spray your slip. get with your slip neighbors and see if they want to go in on theirs as well. it won't eliminate them but you sure see a difference, the stuff works and lasts for a few months. in my area they have spider control plan and frequency options.

Interesting. I've always heard that sprays don't do any good on spiders because their bodies are up off the ground due to their legs. I trust your experience, though. I might look into that! Thanks, Car care for the tip. A custom cover might do the trick.

the stuff he sprays on the pier and on the eaves of the house is more of an oily clear substance, they spray i think a generic bug killer around the perimeter and shrubs which you can buy at Home Depot or equal. he doesn't spray on top of the pier, but under it on both sides. i still buy the spider killer spray and spray dock lines and cleats, that helps too. i imagine with a covered slip in Texas (hot with shade) they are nasty - i hate spiders - around the piers the boats with canvas covers get the spiders worse than those with clear plastic camper covers but again we don't have covered slips.