Priest Lake Idaho and 3 days of towing

Check your trailer lights for connections and operation.

The trailer tires pressure should match manufactors' recommendation and wheel bearings need checking.

Trailer ball lock or anti theif chains to protect your rig at night in the motel parking lot.

Good fitting shipping cover to protect the gel coat and the interior.

Keys and registration for the boat.

Check your trailer lights for connections and operation.

The trailer tires pressure should match manufactors' recommendation and wheel bearings need checking.

Trailer ball lock or anti theif chains to protect your rig at night in the motel parking lot.

Good fitting shipping cover to protect the gel coat and the interior.

Keys and registration for the boat.

Great check list! I don't have a good anti-theft device except for a hitch lock that is honestly pretty cheesy. Any suggestions for a good one? What kind of anti-theft chains are you talking about?

Nothing real fancy, but a good deterant is a locked chain through both trailer wheels. Tape the key to the truck steering wheel so you don't drive off in the morning with the chain still on. Guess how I know?

3532BBC7-47DF-498E-A439-917EA589B36B_zps

Great check list! I don't have a good anti-theft device except for a hitch lock that is honestly pretty cheesy. Any suggestions for a good one? What kind of anti-theft chains are you talking about?

If they want it they'll take it, I just use a regular pad lock on the hitch and bike cable around the spare with a lock on the trailer.

When we made to trip to Powell, I had 2 trailer spares we me. Good thing 5 hours into the trip we blew one. Having the extra spare made easy to just drive without having to find a tire store right away. I now have tires from "Big O" and "Discount Tire" with warranties. Anytime I blow a trailer tire I just stop in and they replace the tire for a free. You gotta pay for a new warranty thou, but thats cheaper than a new tire.

I suggest that while you are home that you check the lug nuts on the trailer. Break them loose and then tighten them back up. You don't want to have a blow out and find out that one of the lug nuts are frozen on the thread.

I have done several thousand mile tows. Always an adventure. Bring some good cleaning stuff. When you reach Priest Lake your boat will be filthy. I reccommend no cover towing that far, I have shredded a few over too long a tow. Adding a cheap plywoocd shield vshaped to the trailer front will make a world of difference wrt dirt and rock chips. Its spring up here ( I live in Coeur d'alene) construction season and you are likely to encounter many areas of construction gravel on roads. Priest Lake is beautiful. As is the Priest River if you run it into Lake Pond Oreille at Sandpoint. I recommend setting asdie a day for SandPoint. Its a spectacular lake area ( as is all of north idaho) and will give you a little perspective on the isolation of Priest Lake vs what we call crowded up here. Not at all like anything back east. My sig270 is in Lake Coeur d'Alene, drop me a line if you are in the area and want to get a beer. We had a lowlow snow winter so watch the lake levels in August they are sure to be lower than average this year.

Pete

I have done several thousand mile tows. Always an adventure. Bring some good cleaning stuff. When you reach Priest Lake your boat will be filthy. I reccommend no cover towing that far, I have shredded a few over too long a tow. Adding a cheap plywoocd shield vshaped to the trailer front will make a world of difference wrt dirt and rock chips. Its spring up here ( I live in Coeur d'alene) construction season and you are likely to encounter many areas of construction gravel on roads. Priest Lake is beautiful. As is the Priest River if you run it into Lake Pond Oreille at Sandpoint. I recommend setting asdie a day for SandPoint. Its a spectacular lake area ( as is all of north idaho) and will give you a little perspective on the isolation of Priest Lake vs what we call crowded up here. Not at all like anything back east. My sig270 is in Lake Coeur d'Alene, drop me a line if you are in the area and want to get a beer. We had a lowlow snow winter so watch the lake levels in August they are sure to be lower than average this year.

Pete

Great tips, thanks Pete! I have a storage cover that straps down to the trailer, I was also going to get a snap-on cover made for keeping the boat in a slip up there. I hadn't considered trailering with the cover off, just thought it would be bad for the interior (which I just detailed!) to leave it uncovered for that many miles and days in the sun and/or rain. Do you think the storage cover would tear? Also great idea on the shield, I'm sure it will get blasted with rocks & asphalt somewhere along the line. I'll shoot you a pm if we get extra time around CDL. Ben

Its all good Ben. I am sure you will have a great time.

Long trailering with covers. Unless you have a great fitting heavy cover it will flap around at highway speeds. Eventually it WILL tear. And by the time you notice it and pull over it will be toast. Flapping for hundreds of miles will scar/mar wherever it rubs. I have found it easier to use a pickup bed spider web bungy over the cockpit ( or an equivalent rope web) to keep stuff in the cockpit. Then covered it at night when I was in the hotel, try to room on the ground floor park boat near your room with window open, I put a simple bear bell in the boat so if anyone gets in it it will ring, paranoid? maybe but effective at an interstate hotel.

When you arrive 20 minutes at a drive up spray wash and you are ready to launch. Not much crime up here to be fearful of, lots of woods to bury the bodies is a vigilantes dream lol.

I am at Silver Beach Marina on Lake CDA. You will pass it on your way thru on I90. your first view of Lake Coeur d'alene will take your breath away....guaranteed. Safe trip/

I live just south of Priest Lake and we keep our 320 at one of the other marinas during the summer months.

It's a beautiful lake, with clear deep water. And if you fish it has some of the best Lake Trout fishing in the world.

My personal best is 29 pounds.

Towards the end of the summer months (and boating season for a typical year) you can boat all day and never see another boat.

Enjoy...