brick

Carpet Backing Repair

I know this was posted before, but I cannot find the thread. Can anyone remember the product to re-coat the black rubber backing on our snap-in carpets? Does the repair last?

brick

Brick,

I have used Fiber-Lok Non Skid Backing (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018N22RW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) before with pretty good results. Wire brushed as much of the crumbling backing off as I could without damaging the carpets weave base, then put on two coats. It got rid of the crumbling and did not stick to the floor, but the carpet had mildewed and I could never get rid of the smell, so we replaced them.

I just did mine this year. Durabak smooth texture is the product to use. They look brand new again. I have a friend that is on year 4 after doing his the same way and they still look great.

Use a 4" long larger diameter roller to apply, 2 coats, about 3 hours between coats. You will not be disappointed in the results.

I used about 1/2 gallon to do mine, 29 foot open bow boat. It was ~95 deer shipped to the house. I used black.

I used Environmental Technologies, Fiber-Lok non-skid backing on my carpet in 2012 and it looks great today.

Easy to use and you can get it from Amazon... I should buy Amazon stock for all the stuff I get there...

Does anyone have photos of the backing on their carpets? I'm ready to throw my carpets in the trash because of the pealing and flaking on the back being so bad. If this can really safe them, I may just have to give it a shot!

Does anyone have photos of the backing on their carpets? I'm ready to throw my carpets in the trash because of the pealing and flaking on the back being so bad. If this can really safe them, I may just have to give it a shot!

I already threw mine in a dumpster! :D

New AquaTrac floor coming soon!

I had areas where the black rubber was completely gone and the carpet jute was showing.

Other areas just flaking like crazy. 2 coats of durabak and it looks new.

If you google "durabak boat carpet" and click images you will find some example photos.

Brick,

I have pictures of my carpet back posted on the newbies section The product I used is called Topcoat from GAF. It's a rubberized liquid roof membrane that has no order when it dries and is not affected by water or heat.

Used Fiber-Lok rug backing off of Amazon as well. I'm on my third coat on some pieces of carpet. Also, one time I ordered, the product/latex was already hard, like a giant ball of latex.

Then again, I did not scrape off all the old latex/rug backing first, which seems to be key. If you just coat over the loose/crumbly stuff, you may end up re-applying every year, like me.

The lazy will be punished.

I just used the spray cans of plasti-dip. Seems to work great. Just put the carpet back in yesterday and put her in the river but she fell flat on her face with what seems to be water in the fuel. :(

I have ordered the fiber-lok. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

brick

I used spray Plasti Dip 3 years ago, 2-3 coats, til it was shiny. It has held up real well, and hasn't stuck down either.

I just used the spray cans of plasti-dip. Seems to work great. Just put the carpet back in yesterday and put her in the river but she fell flat on her face with what seems to be water in the fuel. :(

My gas looked like milk last summer. Boat repair shop had to drain and ethanol treat X2 to resolve. (first time I picked it up, hauled it to my storage for winterizing myself, ran for ~3 minutes and nothing. I hauled it back to the repair shop to find milk colored gas again. They simply repeated the process while I watched the repairman check for water penetrations into the gas. Nothing found once again. They winterized the boat for me while I watched and I then stored it). Runs like a charm this Spring!

My problem began the last day of a week long vacation at a rented house on the North end of Lake Lanier. I checked all locations where I purchase gas for the boat- the day before onset of the problem at a reputable marina. The owner personally assured me there was no problem with their gas and walked me through the gas testing process he is required to follow, plus his own fleet of rental boats had no problems. He has only one 5000 gallon gas storage tank.

Thus, I figure some jerkhead probably vandalized the boat. A sorry ending to an otherwise very enjoyable vacation. Ever hear of security cameras on a 23' boat?

Thanks for the tips from all on carpet backing repair, my carpets began flaking last year.

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. I purchased FiberLok from Amazon, and have applied two costs. Worked great. Carpet backing looks almost new. Should give me a few more years of use, as the front side of the carpet looks perfect. Appreciate the help.

brick

Just came across this post after searching and plan to use durabak this weekend.  I scraped with wire brush the best I could to get the loose stuff.  I figured at worst if it fails, it's new carpet time.  I am going to try and send some pics once I get started and then when done!  If anyone has any pointers that would be great! I do wonder if it will blead through!

So as a follow up, after using FiberLok, I kept the carpets for a season. Every time the carpets got wet, the FiberLok would get gummy, dissolve  and leave residue on the fiberglass. Apparently, FiberLok does not like to get wet. Oops!

i like to keep my boat clean (surprise), so I purchased a replacement snap-in set at the beginning of last year. New carpet set is a bit thinner, has a white backing, but has held up well to one season  of use  so far  

brick