Sign in to follow this  
Mhans

reversed battery Connections-Merc bravo III

.distracted and preoccupied..last evening, I placed both batteries in my 2011 Sunesta 264 and attached the cables trying to beat the setting sun....All was well until I turned the battery switch on and a brief spark across the VSR module was seen. And no power.... After I briefly panicked, I looked into the battery compartment and my horrified worries were confirmed. I had dropped the batteries in "backwards" to the way I had taken them out and attached the yellow ground cables to the (+) electrodes and the red positive cables to the (-) posts on the batteries. Removing the cables and reattaching them correctly now only gives power to most of my accessories/lights/horn/blower,etc. BUT I have NO power to the dash guages/trim/tabs and NOTHING happens when I try to crank the engine. I have looked at all the fuses (that I can find) and they are fine. Circuit breaker not tripped. No breakers tripped on panel behind dash.

So... Alternator??...starter???..blown diodes somewhere else? ..VSR module?

Thanks

Well one of my scariest moments on my first real boat (not the chap) came when I hooked up the battery backwards and turned on the switch. The minute I did that, the alternator caught on fire and burned itself out. It was also getting dark and I was distracted talking to my "mechanic" as we were working on the boat together. I felt so stupid, but luckily only needed a new alternator. Keep in mind this boat was carved. With your computer systems and what not you may be in trouble...there's No way to know. Can a battery kill itself? Did you smell anything burn or fry itself or just a spark show on the battery terminals?