golfdawg

Signature 280 / Port Seat/Cooler or Storage

reading a post that Chappy has got me thinking. Does anyone use the Port storage area for a cooler? Mine is plastic lined with a drain hole that drains overboard. Seems like it might be good as an extra cooler instead of storage. Seems like it was meant to be either storage(wet gear) or cooler. If so, how does it work, meaning does it stay cold and keep ice decent enough for a day trip.

I've thought about that as well, but this is my only significant cockpit storage on the entire boat. That's one of my only complaints about the 280 - storage in the cockpit is so limited. But I don't see no reason AGAINST using it as a cooler. One molded piece, drains overboard, etc. Just not sure how long ice would last...

you and I are the same page with storage on our boats. especially for me coming from my sunesta where had more storage than I knew what to do with. my problem now is I have floats to bring back on board as summer heat is approaching and know that storage is for my life jackets. I thought about putting the life jacket in a bag and then under the aft seat so its out of the way.......where/what are you storing in the cockpit.

I hear ya! I feel like our 230 SSi had a lot more storage! I keep all lines and fenders in the rear trunk. I have some deflated blow-ups under the port bench, along with a few "good" life jackets that we throw on if we're just floating behind the boat. I keep my extra orange ones down below in the very front compartment in the v-berth (out of the way). The jackets and blow-ups completely fill up the port storage. We usually throw shoes/wet stuff under the rear seat. Then I'm out of room!

I have my fenders and lines all tied on the bow rails(using the "fendergrip"). I have an extra anchor for the stern in the trunk and am thinking of storing my floats in there as well. That way maybe we have plenty of cooler space/storage for a long day/weekend on the water. I am going to try this and I will let you know how it does.

Yes it is. PO had it done and it is really nice I must say. Whoever did the work did an excellent job. It is sealed tight.

There is no insulation on that, so I do not think ice will last very long. If you really want to use it for a cooler, you could access it through the engine hatch, and install insulation around it, which would help.

There is no insulation on that, so I do not think ice will last very long. If you really want to use it for a cooler, you could access it through the engine hatch, and install insulation around it, which would help.

Good point. I'm going to try it out and then think about the insulation route. Probably will use freezer packs as well to help keep the ice.