AquaTherapy

Cracks in the bulge under the engine

I was attempting to test my bilge float switch when I slipped and was basically wrapped under around the engine. While figuring out what I could grab onto to heave myself out, I noticed three 6" cracks in the bilge under the engine. Has anyone else seen this? I "think" I can down there to seal them, of course I am worried about possible damage as the bilge usually has some water in it during use.

Need to pull / Lift the boat out to check for hull damage that is new ? Or a crummy old repair job done in the past ?

Could be a excessive gel coat crack. Those areas tend to have/get more gel coat than other areas and it cracks easy.

Could be a excessive gel coat crack. Those areas tend to have/get more gel coat than other areas and it cracks easy.

+1, they typically just spray the bilge just to make it look nice not even close to the exterior of the boat.

In Wisconsin ? I would let it dry all winter. Then in the next spring. Seal it. Even if it is a outside crack. DRY glass or mat layers, is far better to seal.

I add a SMALL amount of bleach to any water in the hull to kill off molds. Has not ruined any parts over 12 years.

Hey thanks for all of the replies. No hull damage.I have a feeling these cracks have been there for a while. It is just that I have never had the "opportunity" to be able to the see the bilge under the beast. 5200 to seal?

Hey thanks for all of the replies. No hull damage.I have a feeling these cracks have been there for a while. It is just that I have never had the "opportunity" to be able to the see the bilge under the beast. 5200 to seal?

No, to seal the cracks you need to sand them down, wipe down with acetone, and then go over them either with gelcoat or an epoxy resin. Peanut butter would probably work too and even marine tex could work if done right! However, 5200 would just make a mess. To fix this properly, youd probably have to pull the engine which is why i wouldnt worry about.