MattyMatt

Help! Check Engine Alarm.

I just bought a used 2014 257SSX and when I turn the key to the ON position the boat runs through it's systems check and at the end I get a check engine alarm with continuous beeping. Once I crank the engine the alarm stops. The engine idles fine and runs fine. Any ideas what this could be?

when you turn the key you should get 1 beep thats it. describe "continuus" beeps. If u have I/O low oil resevoirs will do that. did u just change oil in your drive units?

Merc does not continue to beep that I have ever witnessed. One blast at key on, then quiet if all is ok. Does it do it every time, after it is warmed up, more details please. ????

+1 on the continuous sound. Mine sound per engine. I turn the key on each engine and get a long beep that goes away and then I crank the motor. Hoteo is correct about one possibility. check the drive fluid reservoir.

Agree with check lube reservoir, also could be a low battery. Mine gave exactly what you described with the continuous beep until they ran on the alternator for just a second or two. That said, unless there's a draw on your batteries, shouldn't be an issue with 2014.

I'm starting my 4th season on them and the marina that winterized last Fall left the battery switch in the "both" position and obviously drained them down. My bad, should have checked before letting them put her to bed for the winter.

Congrats on the boat, beautiful ride!!

I get the single beeps as the system is running it's system checks, but at the end of all that it just a constant sound (not really beeping) and the screen says check engine. When I crank the engine the sound stops and check engine display goes away.

The motor is a Volvo and the guy I both it from said he just had the motor serviced, so it's possible the drive oil.

My $ is on low lube oil...........doesn't have to be below the low line, just close to it to get alarm.

I'll be going down to the marina tomorrow to check it out and will update everyone if I figure out what the problem is.

Question about checking the drive lube...does the boat need to be out of the water to do that?

I'll be going down to the marina tomorrow to check it out and will update everyone if I figure out what the problem is.

Question about checking the drive lube...does the boat need to be out of the water to do that?

No, there is a lube oil reservoir (clear plastic bottle) that sits atop the the engine on the port side. It gets Merc High Performance gear oil only. If that issue is setting an alarm, it would continue to sound even after the engine was started. I think you may have a low battery voltage issue. Take a meter with you and see what kind of static voltage you have from your starting batter before cranking. Remember to set the meter to VDC W

Thanks Wingnut. I agree if it was low oil or something important to the engine, the alarm would continue after the engine was running.

The day I bought the boat the dealer put in what he said was a new battery, but I will check it out with a meter.

Another question for you. When I turn the red battery selector knob to the off position, the switches (on each side of the boat) that operate the rear sliding seats stay illuminated. And the engine hatch still operates. Is this normal?

Don't think that is normal, normal cuts power to everything except auto bilge and radio memory feed. Others will know for sure, just my understanding.

Thanks Wingnut. I agree if it was low oil or something important to the engine, the alarm would continue after the engine was running.

The day I bought the boat the dealer put in what he said was a new battery, but I will check it out with a meter.

Another question for you. When I turn the red battery selector knob to the off position, the switches (on each side of the boat) that operate the rear sliding seats stay illuminated. And the engine hatch still operates. Is this normal?

No. In the off position the bilge pump, engine ECM memory, radio memory, power trim, and Mercathode system should have power. Everything else should be dead as a door nail. W

volt meter will only tell you volts. You would have to bring the battery into some place like auto zone and have them do a load test, that will tell you if the battery is bad.

Ive jumped into things way to fast even after I preach this. What im going to preach is this. Start at your battery(s) and follow each wire to each connection and check it with a wrench. Follow each wire to each successive wire until theres no more wire to look at in the engine bay coming off of the battery, should take 5mins or less. 80% of problems are found by looking for loose wires or bad connections. If you see a corroded connection take it off clean it and reinstall.

No. In the off position the bilge pump, engine ECM memory, radio memory, power trim, and Mercathode system should have power. Everything else should be dead as a door nail. W

Wingnut,

I can understand why in the off position there would still need to be power to the bilge, ECM, and radio. However, why would there need to be power to the power trim?

Thanks!

Wingnut,

I can understand why in the off position there would still need to be power to the bilge, ECM, and radio. However, why would there need to be power to the power trim?

Thanks!

I think that evolution came with the addition of transom mounted trim switches. I trailer and store with drive unit down to relieve bellows strain. When the boat is still in the water, I tilt the drive up for trailering, and I also shut off the main power. When I return home, boat goes in the garage and I put the drive down using the transom switch. You are correct that there is no concrete reason to have the trim pump hot, but that is the way they come from the factory. Only the memory tap is live on the radio and ECM so the draw is minimal. I actually switched my Mercathode to the dead side as it was a draw that I did not need with the boat sitting on the trailer. W

Soldier is totally right about most every engine problem I have solved.............ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS.

Buddy turns van off . Then refuses to start up again. I checked all the fuse & C B he removed to check & put back. O K. So I have him crank while I smell the exhaust. Correct smell of gas vapors. O K Electrical problem............... There it is a ALMOST pulled off plug cap on the coil. Push it fully in . BINGO...........Check the rotor plug wires. 2 almost out also.........New wires were not fully seated. Will check plug boots tomorrow.

Ok, so I went down to the boat last night to check things out.

1. Battery is good and all cables are secure.
  2. Engine oil is good.
  3. There is no way for me to check the drive oil without pulling the boat out of the water (Volvo drive), this is something I was unable to check.

Again, this alarm sound only happens BEFORE the engine is cranked. Once the engine starts there are no more sounds or warnings. I took a quick video of what is happening. https://youtu.be/tKLt5vqZlIc