Sign in to follow this  
Scottschmidt

Trip Planning - Pacific Northwest 2016

Hello all, I am looking for some advice for a trip I am planning for 2016.

I have an 04' Chap 290 in Utah that I plan on trailering up to the Northwest to explore the San Juans and possibly up to Desolation Sound. I have been reading a few books in preparation and understand that I could probably spend the majority of the time around the San Juan and Southern Gulf Islands. I plan on two weeks on the water.

This would be my first time to this area and am looking for some advice on stops around the area.

I don't want to stay every night at a marina but a few would be fun.

My kids are still young, they will be 6 and 4 next year and I am interested in hitting some of the marinas that have heated pools. I have really enjoyed reading Waggoner Cruising Guide and Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage.

Is Anacortes a good place to start?

Is June/July the best time of the year from everyone's experience?

Gear: I plan on adding a tender/davit, as well as a good GPS (been looking at the Garmin 7610). Is a radar necessary in June/July? Any tenders or davits recommended for the 290? I will also add iNavx or Navionics to my iPad. Can't decide which yet. Looks like Navionics has a new app that I can't see to read too many reviews on. iNavx appears to have more capability.

Salt Water: My boat has never been in the salt. Is there anything I should do ahead of time to prep the boat for the salt water? The boat should only be in the water 2-4 weeks. Will this do much damage to the longevity of the engines/outdrives?

Training: Is there a recommended course to better understand the area/tides that people use? Anything online?

Thanks for the advice. I have been to the San Juan Islands before by air and can't wait to explore the area by boat.

Scott...you live near Salt Lake and your boat has never been in saltwater. Where do you boat? Lake Mead? There is was member here that use to have a 330 Sig and they organized a trip up to the San Juans a few years back. He sold his boat last year though, but if you could find away to get a hold of him, he would have some good info on places to visit and stay.

He's probably in Powell (by looking at his avatar). I don't think people boat in the Salt Lake.

Try Active Captain for available marinas in the area and their amenities. It's a great site for planning cruises in unfamiliar areas.

Hello all, I am looking for some advice for a trip I am planning for 2016.

I have an 04' Chap 290 in Utah that I plan on trailering up to the Northwest to explore the San Juans and possibly up to Desolation Sound. I have been reading a few books in preparation and understand that I could probably spend the majority of the time around the San Juan and Southern Gulf Islands. I plan on two weeks on the water.

This would be my first time to this area and am looking for some advice on stops around the area.

I don't want to stay every night at a marina but a few would be fun.

My kids are still young, they will be 6 and 4 next year and I am interested in hitting some of the marinas that have heated pools. I have really enjoyed reading Waggoner Cruising Guide and Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage.

Is Anacortes a good place to start?

Is June/July the best time of the year from everyone's experience?

Gear: I plan on adding a tender/davit, as well as a good GPS (been looking at the Garmin 7610). Is a radar necessary in June/July? Any tenders or davits recommended for the 290? I will also add iNavx or Navionics to my iPad. Can't decide which yet. Looks like Navionics has a new app that I can't see to read too many reviews on. iNavx appears to have more capability.

Salt Water: My boat has never been in the salt. Is there anything I should do ahead of time to prep the boat for the salt water? The boat should only be in the water 2-4 weeks. Will this do much damage to the longevity of the engines/outdrives?

Training: Is there a recommended course to better understand the area/tides that people use? Anything online?

Thanks for the advice. I have been to the San Juan Islands before by air and can't wait to explore the area by boat.

Take a U.S.C.G. course. You could change your zincs for salt water but for 2 to 4 weeks, I would think it would hurt with the wrong ones.

Radar: Are you traving at night? Is it possable that fog could roll in? It takes time to understand how to read the screen.

Safety Equip: You may want to buy a PLB. I to have a 290 and installed a ditch bag to the underside of my canvas. A fixed and portable VHF

IF YOU READ THROUGH THE PINNED TOPIC AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE (PACIFIC NORTHWEST CHAPARRAL RENDEZVOUS) IT WILL GIVE SOME IDEAS. WE ARE TRYING TO ORGANIZE A PNCR 2015 FOR THIS SUMMER. PERHAPS YOU COULD SCHEDULE YOUR TRIP AROUND THAT AS WE WOULD ALL LOVE TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU AND SHOW YOU THE SITES. WE LOVE GOING TO ROCHE HARBOUR AND GANGES HARBOUR. THEN OF COURSE THERE IS NEWCASTLE ISLAND WHICH IS ONLY 300' FROM OUR SLIP BUT IS STILL THE HIGHEST RATED STOP FOR BOATERS ON THE WEST COAST.

Thanks for the advice. We have some great spots here. Lake Powell, Flaming Gorge, Bear Lake, Strawberry Res., just to name a few. I don't think even the inland passage will beat Lake Powell in mid-Sept when the air and water are both 80, cool nights and amazing boating.

I have a PLB (I fly too), will get a ditch bag, and will look through Active Captain. I have boated my whole life but sadly no... never in the salt, but I am changing that. We have visited Roche Harbor, and most of the islands in the San Juans by air but I think by boat will be better. Some of the areas north look amazing.

I feel my captain skills are good, I am more concerned about the local rules/etiquette when crossing channels, setting anchors around other boats, tying off to land..ect

The books I have mentioned are pretty good at helping.

This year for the get together just will not work for me unfortunately. Maybe 2017, I am sure after one visit we will want to go back.

Do you guys use an iPad map for trip planning?