phills fan

Upper Chesapeake Raft Up Update

After picking up Drew's boat from Edgewater and taking it down to Stuart and driving an empty trailer all the way back up to Boston non-stop, I don't even want to think about trailering a boat for even the length of the driveway, at the moment at least and this makes me sick to my stomach because I have to haul ours out of the marina to wash the bottom which has left the worst color line I have ever seen it have to this point. So I have to deal with that but trailering any boat any long distance is nothing I want to discuss at the current moment to tell you the truth LOL! Actually, to your area wasn't bad, it was after that and the rest of the southern states that just seemed to never end.

You're good man Hatem. That was a seriously kind thing to do given the time it takes. If you pass by this way again, you should stop by or I'll meet you on your way.

I hear you @ trailering. I borrowed (for $) a 3 axel trailer and took my 2330 from outside of Philly to Watertown NY. Not a long tow by the standards that some on this forum have discussed, but I was towing it with a Grand Cherokee and it was at (or maybe above) it's 7500 lbs limit. It was tedious for sure and I and the little GC were only sorta in charge. A lot of planning ahead and focus, so it was no road trip joy ride.

You probably had the opposite challenge. That F450 behemoth probably didn't even notice the boat behind it, so then it's about the boredom of a looooong trip. Either way, it's takes it's toll. And, I'm really, really glad I Hi & Dri our boat. It's so much easier.

You're good man Hatem. That was a seriously kind thing to do given the time it takes. If you pass by this way again, you should stop by or I'll meet you on your way.

I hear you @ trailering. I borrowed (for $) a 3 axel trailer and took my 2330 from outside of Philly to Watertown NY. Not a long tow by the standards that some on this forum have discussed, but I was towing it with a Grand Cherokee and it was at (or maybe above) it's 7500 lbs limit. It was tedious for sure and I and the little GC were only sorta in charge. A lot of planning ahead and focus, so it was no road trip joy ride.

You probably had the opposite challenge. That F450 behemoth probably didn't even notice the boat behind it, so then it's about the boredom of a looooong trip. Either way, it's takes it's toll. And, I'm really, really glad I Hi & Dri our boat. It's so much easier.

Thanks, Bill. I'll be happy to come down to next year's raft-up. Count me in as long as we have an ok winter that doesn't screw us up like this past one. I don't mind trailering the 276 with the F-450 at all. I barely feel that boat behind that thing and the automatic engine breaking feature on it makes it an absolute dream to tow. I don't even feel any more surges on the surge breaks which I find fascinating. So yes, you and Wingnut and company can count me in for next year for sure so I can say I've boated the Chesapeake and looking forward to meeting all of yous. That is, if we haven't upgraded by then which I highly doubt cuz the boat I want requires a few more years of saving to be able to absorb not only it's purchase cost, but it's yearly running and maintenance costs. :)

I only have to find other ways to get there besides 95 and avoid all tolls if possible. I told Joe Miska this and Dennis get this:

TOLLS for tha tride from Boston to Stuart Florida and this is with the F-450 dually and trailer (didn't matter if there was a boat or not)

1) Delaware bridge = $22

2) New Jersey Turnpike = $42

3) George Washington Bridge = $78!!!! lol

4) Not to mention all the other useless tolls that you travel less than a mile and have to stop again and pay $7 or &8 or even $12.

So I'll do some serous research on how to use other routes (even if their slightly longer) to avoid these ridiculous polls. I despise that state of New York and especially the Yankees with a passion (very happy Sox beat then yesterday LOL sorry CJ had to throw that in there) but guess what, I don't hate them as much as I hate that turd of a team called the Giants that blew my SUPER NE PARIOTS from currently having 6 superbowl titles including an undefeated season!!!

So count me in for next year's raft-up and I''ll be there unless something comes up.

Cheers.

Oh and Wingnut, if crabs aren't working out, come on up here and I'll treat you to one of these, including Marina parking and all that good stuff. :)

20150802_202913_zpszlnbsvmq.jpg

If not we will go to them. 40 minutes from here. W

HG - I'll be there buddy :)

Are you guys doing this again in 2016 or not? Would love to meet both of you and others and check out the upper Chesapeake bay which is closer than OC where we went to in October. The time of year is when it might be tough but let us know. I'll probably end up staying most of the week.

The only thing that pointed to a late August get together was river crab availability in decent size. The crabs this year were both very late and very expensive. If the group decides that crabs are not a key component, then anytime in June, July, or August works. I thought the Venue was right as it gives the overnight on anchor crowd a safe harbor and a hard sand, fresh water beach. Nice that I live here too if an emergence parts (or beer) run were in order. I'd like to see this event grow as so many can get here by water in a reasonable amount of time, and continue to explore the upper Chesapeake both before and/or after. If you were to do it after the raft-up I could roll out the charts and tell you what not to miss, and also what to avoid. Good water-based entertainment in the area for both families, and couples. W

We would definitely be in I think! How for from DC would that be for us. We are docked downtown.

If you get to Solomon's Island, Pax River, you are half way there. I did DC from here with my 30' Sea Ray and it took 7 hours. W

It's a great boat ride of about 130 miles to Solomons Island from the Gangplank marina in DC. Heading down the Potomac river is easy navigation just watch the channel markers. You will have to go into the Chesapeake Bay. Solomans Island is at the mouth of the Patuxent River. You need to enter the bay, head north about 20 miles to the mouth of the Patuxent river. My 290 burned 18 gals per hour at 30mph , maybe about 6 hours and 100 gals of gas. Cobb Island is 60 miles into the trip and a good place for lunch and gas. The weather and wave heights are a factor in the speed and time. The Bay can be a bear because it is like the ocean, prepare your boat for rough seas before you leave the Potomac river. For charts, one of the Potomac and one of the Patuxent that will probably be good to have onboard. Colonial Beach is across the river from Cobb Island, also with several marinas and gas. The river can kickup and it can go from dead flat to 2 to 3 footers in the afternoon. Watch the weather. I would not classify this as difficult trip, although it is long and operating the boat is work. I would stop at Solomons for the night and more gas. There are many good marinas and places to eat.

I'll probably be in like I mentioned before. Depends on work but if I can get away with the new rig and the boat updated with all the gadgets by then and if Rob is interested too, trailering 9 hours to a decent ramp and extending the stay for longer than just a weekend is the only way it would be worth it for us. Tough to come down that distance for just 2 or 3 days but if there are others willing to make more out of it than just a rally, we'll do our best to get down there. I've always wanted to check out the Chesapeake after the great experience we had with Rob in his 327 in Ocean City.

Depending on the date I could do a few more days.

That would be great, do a bit more additional exploring and cruising. :)