Swim Platform Cabinets Cracking

So after doing my maintenance and upgrades "which are soon to come with pictures in another post" I have noticed that my swim platform cabinets on both side are starting to crack in the middle and feel very weak when standing on them. I just received my aquatrac from TT custom marine, but before I install I want to make sure that I fix this issue with the cabinets. I thought about just cutting sheet metal and screwing it through the cabinets to add strength and then paint to metal. The aquatrac will cover the bolts for the sheet metal. What have you guys done or has anyone else had this problem? is there a backing I can buy to strengthen it or a sealant of some sort? Thanks in advance!

Assuming your talking about the lid that covers the swim ladder.....Yeah, I had to replace ours this season as it was cracked almost in half. When I took the latch out of it, it appeared to have a plywood core, but upon snapping it in half (after getting the new one installed) I found that it wasn't. It looked to be some sort of foam material.

Its common after a while the fiberglass will crack and water will get into and start to compromise the fiberglass... I have had to repair my swim platform from the bottom because the top became spongy ( basically absorbed water and became a sponge)

The only way to really fix this is fiberglass repair. Anything else you are just putting on a band -aid......

Yes they are made out of starboard. Cecil sells them for 150 and I don't want to pay that. I am cutting aluminum sheet metal then going to powder coat it and put it as a backing, then I will rivet it through the starboard. I will also be adding a teather front letting it open all the way to slam the boat. The aquatic will cover the rivets in the starboard and I am hoping this could be a long term and good looking fix.

Yes they are made out of starboard. Cecil sells them for 150 and I don't want to pay that. I am cutting aluminum sheet metal then going to powder coat it and put it as a backing, then I will rivet it through the starboard. I will also be adding a teather front letting it open all the way to slam the boat. The aquatic will cover the rivets in the starboard and I am hoping this could be a long term and good looking fix.

I would just order new starboard. It's very cheap for a small sheet like that and you can have it cut to shape!

I went through the same this spring. I ended up finding one on eBay for $50...not sure I'll ever get that lucky again. I wanted mine to match perfectly because of the non skid on in and the fact I'm not planning to put a cover on it. If you're just planning on covering it and not worried what the surface detail looks like, I would skip the repair and use the old one as a template to make a new one out of a sheet of Starboard, then transfer all the hardware. Once you put your aquatrac on it, you'll never see the difference. If you're worried about it breaking in the future, then you may consider putting your aluminum bracing on a new piece of starboard which would be overall stronger than the repaired piece.

Good luck and post pics of the before and after whatever you decide to do.

So I mistakenly did not take before picture, but one was cracking in the middle and the other had a crack on the side. The ladder side was much weaker, but i decided to do it to both. I got diamond plate and cut it to fit the cover. I then riveted it many times through the aluminum and fiberglass. I then added the tether because of the added weight on the hinges an did not want the cabinet slamming on the boat for bing wide open. Here are my pictures :) let me know if you guys have any questions how I did it!

IMG_2759_zpslcsfqsb1.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsc49ztdp7.jpg

IMG_2756_zps0gbfbsdk.jpg

That looks like it came that way. Awsome job! Mine was cracked and I just replaced it. Where did you get the tethers from. I think I want to add them to mine as I believe mine cracked from being leaned on while open. A tether would prevent that.