golfdawg

Trim Switch

Replaced the "up" and "down" solenoids and still the trim will not go down. I am wondering if the switch on the throttle has gone bad. Can those be replaced or do I have to replace to whole control assembly? Any one had similar issues?

Ditto for me. But the problem for me is getting it to come back up. (don't even. Lol). I have to just keep working the switch till it comes up. So I wanna know about this too.

I've changed my throttle trim switch on a single engine throttle controller before but never a dual throttle. If you can access the wires to the trim switches, disconnect the wires and jump them and see if they work. If you jump the wires and the trim works, then the switches are bad.

I was able to jump the wires on the old and new solenoids and it works fine. Wingnut has told me that it could be relays that are bad. This happened on my old Chaparral but that was a volvo. Says there is a 4 gang relay box, does anyone know where that is located on my setup(see sig). Thanks

I have a Sig 240 and I once found a cold solder joint at the micro switch. The relay sits right at the pump, next to the trim fuse, well that's for the VP, I see you've got a Merc.. nevermind.

Replaced the "up" and "down" solenoids and still the trim will not go down. I am wondering if the switch on the throttle has gone bad. Can those be replaced or do I have to replace to whole control assembly? Any one had similar issues?

Will the trim go down for say the PORT drive, but not the STBD? Or is it rather that neither the PORT & STBD drives won't go down?

If its only 1 drive with the issue, the first place I'd check is the 3 pin connector that plugs into the problem side trim pump. Red is power, blue wire is up, and green is down. The 3 pin connector is probably held in place by a ss gear clamp, which will take a 5/16" or 8mm gear driver to loosen. Check the connection at item #3 in the first schematic below.

MerCruiser switched 3 pin styles in 2005 or so to get away from such problems.

The 3 pin connector looks like the red piece on the bottom left.

P1012035_zpse2cd1ed1.jpg

2155.GIF

Pretty sure for a MY 2001 280 Sig with MerCruiser power that Chaparral was still using the older style dual console shifter. If you do have to go with a new shifter, I HIGHLY recommend going with a new Gen II style shifter for superior shift movement and feel. This would require going with new Gen II style shift cables, making the hole a little bigger, as well as having to route the new cables through the bloody boat, but the cables probably ready to be replaced anyway if original.

49.GIF

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/accessories/serial/Remote_Controls_and_Components/4200091A/1989-260

4484327_20131010095837190_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Gen II shifter MerCruiser dual console shifter used on later models.

4907054_20150106142959702_1_LARGE.jpg

l_1553521_4855627_20141024101717619_1_LA

Would you be able to take pics of your solenoid and send them to me.

My trim stopped working, and a year or two ago our mechanic said our solenoids were going, so that is probably the problem.

I have no idea where they are or what they look like.

We have a 5.0 efi Merc with an Alpha one drive

Thanks.

My trim stopped working, and a year or two ago our mechanic said our solenoids were going, so that is probably the problem.

Thanks.

I would be more than happy to do that. I should get back up to the boat tomorrow and get some pics for you.

Will the trim go down for say the PORT drive, but not the STBD? Or is it rather that neither the PORT & STBD drives won't go down?

If its only 1 drive with the issue, the first place I'd check is the 3 pin connector that plugs into the problem side trim pump. Red is power, blue wire is up, and green is down. The 3 pin connector is probably held in place by a ss gear clamp, which will take a 5/16" or 8mm gear driver to loosen. Check the connection at item #3 in the first schematic below.

MerCruiser switched 3 pin styles in 2005 or so to get away from such problems.

The 3 pin connector looks like the red piece on the bottom left.

P1012035_zpse2cd1ed1.jpg

2155.GIF

Pretty sure for a MY 2001 280 Sig with MerCruiser power that Chaparral was still using the older style dual console shifter. If you do have to go with a new shifter, I HIGHLY recommend going with a new Gen II style shifter for superior shift movement and feel. This would require going with new Gen II style shift cables, making the hole a little bigger, as well as having to route the new cables through the bloody boat, but the cables probably ready to be replaced anyway if original.

49.GIF

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/accessories/serial/Remote_Controls_and_Components/4200091A/1989-260

4484327_20131010095837190_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Gen II shifter MerCruiser dual console shifter used on later models.

4907054_20150106142959702_1_LARGE.jpg

l_1553521_4855627_20141024101717619_1_LA

Thanks. Yes just one pump that I am having problems with and yes I do have the control unit that is in the first pictures. I am going to try and get back up there tomorrow and I will see about the wires then.

Thanks.

FYI, if you look in the pictures that Shepherd1 sent you will see Item #6, those are the solenoids.

89-96158T is the part number for the power trim solenoids. Green wire is for down circuit, while blue wire is for up circuit. Recommend taking pictures with your phone so that all wiring, etc. goes back the way it was.

Disconnect the battery ground wire(s) from the battery first to avoid arcing. Usually when they puke, you can hear them clicking.

41r5l77r4HL._SS0160_.jpg

89-96158T is the part number for the power trim solenoids. Green wire is for down circuit, while blue wire is for up circuit. Recommend taking pictures with your phone so that all wiring, etc. goes back the way it was.

Disconnect the battery ground wire(s) from the battery first to avoid arcing. Usually when they puke, you can hear them clicking.

41r5l77r4HL._SS0160_.jpg

I replaced those last weekend and still having issues. I am going to check that connection you told me about as well as check the relays that wingnut had suggested to me.

IHelps to read. Shepard says the up trim is the blue wire. thanks

have this trim pump below.

There are two solenoids (part #6)

First I want to replace the up solenoid.

Does anyone know which one is the up, the top part #6 or bottom ?

Thanks.

2010-08-21_203450_trim_0000.jpg

Thank you all.

Just came back from a weeks visit with the boat.

Changed the up trim sensor and all is good again with the boat, well except the voltmeter, that needs replacing as well.

Not too difficult, but really need to give props to boat mechanics to how they must contort their body to get to places.