bom8Diver

How do I drain water from the bilge?

Hey guys,

Have a small amount of water (2-3") sitting beneath the engine of my 2006 Chap 190 SSI. Have run the bilge pump but the water remains. Not sure how to remove it.. The Manual says that a small amount of water is "normal", but I still would like to learn how to properly remove it.

A sponge on a stick will also do it if you can't pull the drain plug.

Don't worry about it too much. Our 2130SS was bone dry and well, our 244 not so much. The self-bailing cockpit on the 244 does a decent job, but the ski locker drain system leaves a lot to be desired and can easily get overwhelmed; and when it does, it's water in the bilge.

The bilge drain (below the outdrive) is useless. It is designed too high and allows tons of water to remain in the bilge. I have this problem too all the time. I ended up buying a manual pump and just suck the water out. Another good and simple solution is a dry towel. Throw it in there and it will soak in all the water, then remove the towel, squeeze the water out and dry it.

Water runs under the rear bulkhead and gets trapped, it's not just bilge water. If you are at a marina have the forklift tilt the boat up and drain it out that way. The boat needs to be drained or water will eventually rot the wood in the boat.

Find out what is causing the water in the bilge. Then correct that as much as possible. My boat ALWAYS had a bone dry bilge for years.

Then slowly each year had more. Bow cover had a seam opening up a little each year and a cover had a little to big of a opening around a cleat.

Check for engine & hull leaks first. Then boat covers after a good rain.

Any GOOD cover maker can make a improvement to a leaky cover. ..........Mine cost $ 10 to resew & add a small black Sunbrella piece.

The design of my Sunesta allows water to accumulate below the level that the bilge pump can pump out. This has been a source of irritation for me also. So as the dealer says IT IS NORMAL for the boat. That doesn't make it right. Everything in the engine compartment is subject to splashing and high humidity levels which play H*** with electrical connections and corrodes all the metal. I got tired of swabbing and sponging it out while laying flat on the floor or tucked next to the engine reaching under it.

There are some ""low profile" pumps available, but I had a little 500 and made a bracket for it and slipped it back under the engine, against the transom. I have a manual switch and i pump her dry. Next will be an auto switch but for now I just flip the switch and the waters gone.

I use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner......

Yep, I have a one gallon wet/dry vac. The only time I see any water is after I wash the boat interior as a little gets in there from somewhere. Nice to keep it dry as then you can spot a potential issue at a glance if some water magically appears.

Check the 12v marine pump from Harbor Freight for 35 deer. A couple of NPT to NHT adapters and some garden hose and you're set.

There's also a fuel transfer hand pump for only a few bucks that would work well.

Yep, I have a one gallon wet/dry vac. The only time I see any water is after I wash the boat interior as a little gets in there from somewhere. Nice to keep it dry as then you can spot a potential issue at a glance if some water magically appears.

+3.

Have some muddy water in bilge from when they dunked my boat to load test it after repair and didn't put in the plug. Need to fix my hatch strut anchors before I start spending time in there again. Afraid of the hatch coming down on me in a rough wake. That thing is heavy.

+1 on the shop vac. I have a little red one I picked up at WallMart that I leave in the dock box. I think its a half gallon, not much but because of its size it fits easily in the dock box.

I was walking through Sears a while ago. I was just about to walk out the door and I see a small 1 gal wetvac. 30 bucks. Perfect! I had larger ones to clean out the bildge but they were to darn big and had to hustle them from home. This little thing I have now is in my dock box until I need it.

I tried the paper towel last year. What a mess. Get a wetvac.

I have a cleat that is loose, water pours in there when I turn to pickup the skier/wakeboarder - throw a towel in there, dries it up quick.

I also keep my boat in the water 24/7, and I get some rain water that works it way into my bilge. I keep a small wet vac there for that purpose.

Guys, I have to disagree on the Wet Vac. We just had a guy get burned in an explosion while using a Wet Vac in his bilge. They are not spark protected. What's the first thing that you are supposed to do before starting your engine? Why ?

Yeah, that's right.What's the chance of fumes ? and where do they accumulate ? Sorry

My wet vac has a 12' hose and runs on 240v ac...... The of the joys of having the boat shed right next door to the workshop.

My wet vac has a 12' hose and runs on 240v ac...... The of the joys of having the boat shed right next door to the workshop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even with a long hose wouldn't the fumes simply get sucked up into the motor housing wherein the danger lies? Doesn't seem like it would avert anything.