caphilli

Has Anyone Heard of SB-941: Vessel Operator Card

13 posts in this topic

Took our boat out to Pyramid Lake this weekend and got a flyer with a notice informing us about SB-941. This law requires boater training and a vessel operator card. From what I've read, it doesn't get inforced until 2018.

Thoughts?

We have mandatory boated education (card) here in Oregon. Things have gotten much safer here, IMHO, since the requirement was enacted and enforced.

When we boat in Nevada/California, I'm shocked at times at the way people operate their boats. Last summer, had one idiot pass us in a two-boat width marina channel doing at least 30kts (in a no-wake zone).

Also, in that same channel, was a fellow solo on a Waverunner, who went to pass us going just slightly faster than us. Well, as soon as he passed us, he pulled right in front of us. Well, you know those squirt tubes on those boats that put up a rooster tail "warning" stream of water? Well, he was dousing us with that thing. We'd yell at him, he'd back off the throttle and look back, with a "what?" all over his face... Then, he'd look forward and give it the throttle again -- and again douse us. We ended up powering off and letting him just get ahead. The boats behind us weren't too happy with us slowing down...

Anyway, lots of jokers out there. Hate to see more government regulation, but sorely needed IMHO.

From what I have read, this is a California Boat operators card. Seems redundant to me but it's California! :slap:

http://dbw.parks.ca.gov/BoaterInfo/SB941FAQ.aspx

Q: Who will be exempt from the having an operator card?
A: Per the language included in SB 941, the following persons will not be required to have a CVOC to operate a motorized vessel on California waterways when the requirements go into effect beginning in January 2018:

• A person who is a resident of a state other than California who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 60 days and meets the boating requirements, if any of his/her state.
  • A person who is a resident of a country other than the United States who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 90 days and meets the boating requirements, if any of his/her country.
  • A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in possession of a CVOC issued by DBW.
  • A person operating a vessel in an organized regatta or vessel race, or water ski race.
  • A person operating a rental vessel. :slap:
  • A person who is in possession of a current commercial fishing license.
  • A person who is in possession of a valid marine operator license, for the waters upon which the licensee is operating, issued by the United State Coast Guard, or who is in possession of a valid certificate issued pursuant to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
  • A person who has successfully completed a boating course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

So let me get this straight. Am I understanding this correctly? From what I'm reading this says that I who has been operating watercraft for over 20 years will need one of these golden cards while Joe Blow who's never operated a boat can go rent a boat today and just go drive with nothing. I honestly can't fathom that could be.

Here in Oregon, same thing. But, the rental operator is required to instruct and complete a rental safety checklist.

In Oregon, they phased in the license requirement according to the age of the boater. I, unfortunately, was last on the list!

Yes, a pain to attend the class and get the card, but for me, it's made plenty of other people safer and that's been a big benefit for us.

So let me get this straight. Am I understanding this correctly? From what I'm reading this says that I who has been operating watercraft for over 20 years will need one of these golden cards while Joe Blow who's never operated a boat can go rent a boat today and just go drive with nothing. I honestly can't fathom that could be.

Sounds just like California. Also sounds like they are trying to protect the financial interests of the rental operators. I'm sure they had a loud 'say' in the bill.

I have to say - I'm not a fan, as like most of us I've been on the water many years (about 40 for me) and feel its a bit of an insult to those of us who boat safely. Having said that - it seems there are an awful lof of people (a lot of kids whose parents throw them the keys to their watercraft) who aren't trained properly and who cause a lot of problems for the rest of us. My dad started me with a 10' jon boat and a 3HP Sears Outboard years ago and took my training very seriously. Now I see kids who's first ride have a150+ HP engine on a screaming boat - recipe for disaster. So even though I personally don't like it, I think/hope this will make our waters safer. I also looked at the link - the phase in will be over a period of years, and once you have it, its lifetime.

Q: How will the CVOC be phased in?
A: The new California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678.11(B) contains the following schedule to have a CVOC based on operator age by the following dates:

• January 1, 2018 Persons 20 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2019 Persons 25 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2020 Persons 35 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2021 Persons 40 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2022 Persons 45 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2023 Persons 50 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2024 Persons 60 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2025 All persons regardless of age

I don't mind doing this - but exempting rentals is troubling. I did the "mail in" written test and course years ago, and when we bought this new (to us) boat, my wife and I did it online together so we both have cards (boattests101 I think) and it gave an insurance discount.

Maybe we could petition for rental boats to have to run a NOOB flag hehe, :haha-7383:

Then all serious operators would know to avoid them like the plague, or just expect stupidity!

This is California, the nonsensical state. If it weren't for the weather and careers many of us would not be here and are waiting for the time we can leave.