Sign in to follow this  
tnelson1994

Fuel Gauge Not Working

So I was out on the boat today and the fuel gauge stopped working, It used to not work then work if I knocked on it. I am wondering if the gauge itself has gone bad. Did the connection behind the gauge just come loose? Is the sender bad? What do i need to do to fix this? I am going to Lake Powell and have to have this working because we will be on the lake 9 days.

Get back there and check the connections and make sure they are clean and tight

Hint: Clean the connections, put a tiny dab of grease on all electrical connections, then make them up. Keeps em from corroding and they come apart nice and easy when you want them to. Learned that trick while a Navy Electrician's Mate on small boats in the 60's / 70's.

If it still doesn't work after that, but if it works after you knock on it, I would suspect the problem being internal and may need replacement.

I had the same on my 1930SS.........thought it was the gauge initially but it ended up being the sender unit, which was REALLY easy to access on my boat. The aft quarter of my floor ski locker was a separate section from the door of the locker itself. Had to remove the frame and then a few screws to remove that panel. Fuel sender unit was right there. I bought the Moeller universal sender unit and it fit like a charm. Works great. Good luck.

On Lake Powell NEVER pass Dangling Rope Marina without topping off the fuel (and getting soft serve ice cream). I don't trust fuel gauges in boats.

Here's a test sheet of what you should see when you ground the single sender wire from the fuel sender itself to ground, with the key in the 'on' position. On your boat, you most likely have a Duestch connector on the fuel sender and on the gauges, making such a test harder. Easiest way to test is to remove the connector from the fuel tank, and with a wire ground the pink wire side.

My money is on the fuel sender; if you have a Deustche connector, easiest and fastest thing to do IMHO is ordering the custom sender from Cecil Marine or a local dealer, and replacing it. Most likely need your hull # on the rear STBD corner of the boat.

Gaugetesting.jpg

Interesting. You stated that if you "knocked on it" (the gauge) it would start working. Sender is no where near gauge.