Sign in to follow this  
Chap Guy

Towing Question - Boat/Trailer weight

I keep my boat on a lift, but I've been asked to trailer it about 250 miles for vacation.

2004 256 SSI with load rite aluminum trailer. I know the boat is approx. 4950 lbs empty and the trailer is approx. 800 lbs.

Any idea on what the actual weight might be? I intend to keep fuel tank low, empty water tank, etc.

Supposedly my Silverado has a 6700 lb towing capacity and I'm just trying to work the numbers to see if any issue.

Thanks in advance,
David

my 256 SSi with 496 engine, all options on a steel trailer weighs 8500 lbs. I believe the "dry weight" of the boat, with base engine and no options is 5400 lbs. My trailer weighs approx. 1500-1800 lbs.

according to nada that boat is 4950 dry. Every gallon of gas is 6lbs. Drive fluid, engine oil etc, add probably 100lbs. Then whatever gear, GPS, radio equipment, etc that has been added. My guess is that trailer is probably closer to 1200-1500 than 800. The only way your going to know the true weight of it all is to weigh it.

My guess is the boat with gear and fuel, is a minumum of 5500lbs and as high as 6000lbs.

If you were to ask me your right at or above the 6700 towing capacity with the trailer. Anothing thing is your payload, door jam should state it. Payload is everything in your truck included people, and tongue weight of that trailer. Tongue weight of that trailer is going to be 5-600lbs.

may sound stupid but ive seen it, guys will think they can pull stuff out the boat and put it into the truck. That stuff will still count against you.

and isn't there something too about staying to a certain percentage below the "limit" as far a payload goes? I might be crazy there.

and isn't there something too about staying to a certain percentage below the "limit" as far a payload goes? I might be crazy there.

Some people say 90% just to be safe or help on wear and tare. But theres nothing from manufactures that state to run at 90%. truth be told more than likely the published numbers by the manufacture are probably already lower than what they really are.

Running at full capacity wouldnt scare me if it were not an every day day thing or very far.

This looks to be a 4-5hr trip, and possibly 1-2klbs overweight. To each his own.

You won't know the exact wait of you boat and trailer unless you get it weighed. Load it up with your gear and fuel and take it to a CAT certified weigh station and see what the real numbers are. I think you'll be over the 6700 lbs tow limit of your truck. Seems low but you must have 3.42 gears on the rear.

Get it weighed, to be sure. My 220SSi, on a tandem axle steel trailer, full fuel and misc. stuff, weighs a portly 6000 lbs.

brick

What are the specs on your truck.

Year

Model

Axle

Cab style

4x2 or 4x4

Engine siz

Trans type

Factory trailer tow ?

2014 Silverado, 4.3L EcoTec3 v6 4WD, Short bed, crew cab with factory installed trailer package. 3.42 axle ratio

From the chevy website:

GVWR = 7100 lbs

Max Trailer = 7100 lbs

GCWR = 12,000

Its a company truck so I couldn't be too picky with bigger engine, etc.

I think you will be asking your V6 to do more than what it was designed to do, not that it cant be done, just hope there are no hills involved. I had a 5.3 V8 Silverado half ton pulling a similar weight on my last boat and it hated it.

2014 Silverado, 4.3L EcoTec3 v6 4WD, Short bed, crew cab with factory installed trailer package. 3.42 axle ratio

From the chevy website:

GVWR = 7100 lbs

Max Trailer = 7100 lbs

GCWR = 12,000

Its a company truck so I couldn't be too picky with bigger engine, etc.

Company truck.?? is it also insured by your company.?? may want to check to see if they will cover you towing a boat... my company truck (Expedition) EXPRESSLY forbid towing of ANYTHING...

my 0.02

That Ecotec3 is supposed to be the same power as your V8...oops, I take it back.

Silverado 1500 4.3L EcoTec3 V6

-285 hp (212kW) @ 5,300rpm

-305 lb-ft of torque (413 Nm) @ 3900 rpm

-Maximum available towing rating: 7,200 pounds

-Maximum available payload rating: 2,108 pounds

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/gm-reveals-new-43-liter-v6-ecotec3-truck-engine-specs-and-details

I bet you could rent a full size suv or pick up for about 500 deer a week that would be more than capable of towing your boat that distance. Sure it is 500 extra deer (or so) but peace of mind that you are well with in the towing capabilities is hard to put a price on. Well I guess it isn't that hard, it is about 500 deer. Now is it worth it?

my 256 SSi with 496 engine, all options on a steel trailer weighs 8500 lbs. I believe the "dry weight" of the boat, with base engine and no options is 5400 lbs. My trailer weighs approx. 1500-1800 lbs.

Mine too.....

Company truck.?? is it also insured by your company.?? may want to check to see if they will cover you towing a boat... my company truck (Expedition) EXPRESSLY forbid towing of ANYTHING...

my 0.02

I'd check into that.....

Our Toyota Sequoia handles 7000# well, as long as it's downhill!

Our toughest climb is Highway 50, Carson City to Spooner Summit. Downshifting, we do about 35mph during the ten-mile (or so) climb.

V8 engine, and usually the vehicle is filled with people and gear as well.

FWIW, our mileage drops from 18mpg to 9.8mpg with the boat being towed.

Tow it without fuel in the boat. You may have to take it easy and slow.

Company cars are great...

brick

I just towed a 255 SSI with arch from SLC to Seattle using a late 90s Chevy (5.7 V8) rated to tow 7000lbs and I didn't have any problems. I did invest in an anti-sway weight distribution hitch and stayed around 65 in the 80MPH stretches. On the straightaways I didn't notice it unless the wind was blowing, but I felt it on the 6% grades :)

I've always been the type of person that believes in using more truck than I need. My boat on the trailer is 9200# and I pull it with an F250 Diesel.

I believe the OP is way to close to the tow vehicles limits (over in my opinion) and has not considered the transmission and brakes. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

JMHO.

You need to be careful if you decide to rent a truck (as an earlier poster suggested). Most rental places forbid towing anything with their trucks and you will lose any kind of insurance coverage if you do so.

I towed my 256 ti half duel with a chevy avalanche 5.7 L with 7200 towing capacity from Fort Worth TX to Huntington Beach Ca. It did fine. If your trailer is built right do not worry about sway. Uphills was tough but I averaged about 70mph the whole way. Did the drive in about 20 hours. Granted I now have a GMC with a much bigger engine to tow the boat and its also a half ton. I think you will be fin just take it easy. I have a lot of experience pushing the limit and as long as you know you are at the limit and are not dumb you should be ok.