Boatman609

Upper Chesapeake Zebra Mussels

Reading Chesapeake Bay Magazine, it states that there is evidence of Zebra Mussels below the Conowingo Dam and in the area of the Susquehanna Flats. I am above Philadelphia and haven't witnessed or experienced any in this area, but I was wondering if anyone has started to have a problem and also is there anyway to get rid of them. Hope this doesn't hold back people from the August raft up.

Maybe some aquarium lovers paying dearly for exotic plants & animals for a perfect tank.

Not a good sign, but still limited to the area around the flats at the mouth of the river. Nothing reported in the Bay as yet, but there is no control around boaters running into the flats then out into the Bay. Only a matter of time. W

I did some reaearch recently after removing some zebra mussel clusters after pulling my Sig from Lake Ontario.

There are some new controls.

The Zequanox story is interesting:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/08/14/researchers-enlist-new-tool-against-invasive-zebra-quagga-mussels/88481078/

A dead, local land bacteria is toxic to nonlocal invasive species, but safe to everthing else.

Also saw some other stories about inorganic powders to use.