Sign in to follow this  
Capmedic

Alarm after lower unit oil change

I have a 1999 Signature 240, 5.0, alpha 1. Didnt have an alarm prior to the impeller change. Now I have the most awful constant alarm imaginable. Reservoir for lower unit oil wasn't at first start up because I forgot to check it. I filled it up and tried again with the same alarm. What am I missing and how do I get rid of this noise??

Low /no water pressure will cause an alarm. Did you change the impeller yourself? How badly scored was the housing?

I had my impeller changed for maintenance a few weeks ago. The housing was scored and the impeller had worn into the scoring. Mechanic thought it would be ok. I overheated and had the alarm after the change, where before the pressure was a little low, but fine. Ended up needing a whole new pump.

DO NOT keep running the engine . You do not know how to determine the problem or correct it.

Get a marine mechanic.

Hopefully it is just airpockets.

Pauls answer is a REAL possibility.

Either way.....Mechanic Good luck

What's the engine temp? Maybe you have air in your lower unit fluid, not sure if this can cause an alarm. The best way to fill it up is from the bottom all the way up to the reservoir. Don't just dump fluid in the reservoir.

Low drive lube, low oil pressure and high temp will all give the alarms, as of '98. I only have manuals for up to '98.

You can disconnet the drive oil bottle alarm sensor and see if it still happens. That'll at least rule that out. If you dumped the old oil out of the bottle to change it, the float may have gotten stuck.

Did you get the alarm within a couple of minutes of engine running? And, if engine was running, was in or out of the water? I ask because if it was out of the water, was there good flow out the drive / manifolds cool while on the hose? If in the water, were the manifold risers cool?

Also, is your '99 a computer controlled engine (ie: Fuel Injection), since the computer controlled engines give more audible alarms than the earlier ones with carbs.

Without a water pressure guage on non-computer controlled engines, kind of hard to tell if there's flow through the engine (if it's in the water), without feeling the risers to see if they get hot, until the engine overheats. I installed a water pressure gauge on my '92 just for this specific reason.

Since the outdrive lube was low at one point maybe the reservoir sensor is hanging up.. Try disconnecting the wire to the sensor.

Philbo....

we must have been typing at the same time with same thing to check.

Since the outdrive lube was low at one point maybe the reservoir sensor is hanging up.. Try disconnecting the wire to the sensor.

Bingo!! Thank you guys!

What's the engine temp? Maybe you have air in your lower unit fluid, not sure if this can cause an alarm. The best way to fill it up is from the bottom all the way up to the reservoir. Don't just dump fluid in the reservoir.

I did pump the fluid from the bottom to the vent at the top....forgot about the reservoir...had air in it. Thank you again.