scolba

Chequamegon Bay & Apostle Islands (Lake Superior)

9 posts in this topic

Went to the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior over the 4th, and thought I would share some pictures. We spent all of our time around the Apostle Islands and in Chequamegon Bay, so always had a leeward side to hide behind....well, most of the time. Thankfully it was a pretty calm weekend, so only got into about 2-3 footers once we got to an unprotected area north of Devil's Island...where we quickly turned around and went back to the calm. :) Only saw one other Chap out there, which was a little surprising. Mostly blow boats.

All in all, we did about 135 miles of exploring on the water, most of those on the 3rd. On the 4th we spent a lot of time on Madeline Island in Tom's Burned Down Café. Its a really fun place that looks like about 5 decks that somehow got squished together to form a bar. We went back out on the water for the fireworks. Unfortunately the stupid moon decided it wasn't going to be out until late, so we had a 10 mile trip back to the mainland in near black. Thank goodness for GPS and deep, clutter free water! Was still a very slow return.

So one pic attached, and there is an album in the link below. The haze you can see in a lot of the pics is actually smoke from the Canadian wild fires. We could even smell it one day....pretty nuts.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/03vq0

Thanks for share the pics scolba.. that bar sounds really interesting as well as the rest of your voyage. What's a "blow boat"

Beautiful pics. Love the old boats and those rock formations are interesting to say the least. That big lake looks really calm. Do you get alot of days like that?

The northern side of Lake Superior is God's Country. Been there done that. Also did the Benjamin Islands.

Power boaters are a minority up there, mostly sail, and believe it or not we saw a number of kayaks, out in the middle of nowhere, and wondered how they got there. Seeing your pic's, makes me want to go back. Thanks for the memories, Denny.

Back in 2012, my son and I did 28 days on circumstancing The great Lakes, and The apostle Islands was one of out stops.

IMG_3385_zpsokgrk7fj.jpg

IMG_3243_zpsaft9lpgp.jpg

IMG_3121_zpshgnvlfdm.jpg

IMG_3143_zps77f9ae56.jpg

And here is my pretty wake.

IMG_3477_zpsls1ilhni.jpg

Beautiful pics. Love the old boats and those rock formations are interesting to say the least. That big lake looks really calm. Do you get alot of days like that?

We had some waves out on the windward side of things that were bigger than anything I get on inland lakes, but still small by Lake Superior standards. I think the wind only ever got to a little over 10 knots. But the protection given by the islands made for a great, calm water!

Great pics Denny! I love that chart, too!!

OK. There's another one for the bucket list. Those were some awesome shots. Living in MN my entire life and being a boater for more years than I have not, I guess I should be ashamed to say that I have never been out on Superior...

OK. There's another one for the bucket list. Those were some awesome shots. Living in MN my entire life and being a boater for more years than I have not, I guess I should be ashamed to say that I have never been out on Superior...

All I can say is, the Canadians know how to get it right, and they know how to keep it that way.

There is so much to see, and the diversity of it is beyond your wildest imagination.

I have boated in many many areas, but for me the Canadian water ways are second to none.

Denny.

IMGP0209_zpseesmdkmj.jpg