Alarm short beep every minute whether engine is running or key is in on position.

On the Merc Smart Craft, a test alarm when you first turn the key on before cranking is normal. Beyond that there are 37conditions that can set an alarm. As yours is momentary, and does not put the engine into the output limiting "Guardian mode", the possibilities get reduced some. I'll send you a list of the conditions later today that can generate a momentary. The best way to track it down is having a scan tool connected to the ECM and catch it in the act. W

I also have the 2011 246 SSI with Merc 350. Had a similar problem last year.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=26792&hl=

The mechanic got a scan tool on it and it showed an O2 sensor fault on port side. With the scan tool he cleared the fault and switched the port/starboard o2 sensors to see if it was a faulty sensor.

To date i have not heard the beep come back. Hope i don't jinx myself.

Jim

Two different alarm types on the Merc Guardian, noted as critical and non-critical. The constant alarms that limit power output are things like gear fluid level, overheating, low oil pressure, and high exhaust temperature. Other intermittent alarms include trim sensor failure, O2 sensor, low sea water pressure, TPS, IAC, and the like. Hard to find without a scan tool but sometimes process of elimination will get you there. I'm sending you the sensor electrical values expressed in volts and sometimes OHMs, and the complete list of documented possibilities. W

Engine Guardian System ALARM SUMMARY

General Description

Engine Guardian is the focal point of the self-diagnostic strategy on these engines. It helps

protect the engine from possible damage that could result from several faulty conditions.

The system monitors the sensors incorporated on the engine and if a malfunction is

discovered, a fault description is stored in thePCMand available power is normally reduced.

By ensuring that engine output is at a low enough level, the engine is better protected from

thermally induced failures.

For example, if an open or short is found in any sensor, available power will be reduced to

90% of total, the AudioWarning System Alarmwill sound 2 beeps perminute (2 Bp/min) and

the Smartcraft gauges will display a warning lamp. In a seawater pump pressure low

condition, the maximum rpm will vary with the pressure and temperature of the engine and

could be limited to idle in extreme cases of overheating, a constant beep will sound and

Smartcraft gauges will display a warning lamp.

IMPORTANT: Engine Guardian cannot guarantee that engine damage will not occur

when adverse operating conditions are encountered. Engine Guardian is designed

to warn the operator of an adverse condition and to reduce power by limiting rpm in

an attempt to reduce possible engine damage. The boat operator is ultimately

responsible for proper engine operation.

SERVICE MANUAL NUMBER 36 GENERAL INFORMATION

90-864573 FEBRUARY 2002 Page 1A-25

Warning Chart

The engine warning system incorporates an audio alarm and, if installed, Smartcraft

Gauges System. When the key switch is turned to the ON position, the audio alarm will

momentarily activate to test thewarning system. The alarm should sound once if the system

is operable. This table is a guick guide, showingwhat warning output will accompany a fault.

Fault Smartcraft Gauges Audio Alarm Available Power Description

EXAMPLE...

Condition Power Limiting? Frequency %Power Available Cause

ECT CKT HI Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open

ECT CKT LO Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short

ECT Coolant Overheat Yes Constant 6 - 100 % Overheat condition

EST 1 Open 1 Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Coil harness wire open

EST 1 Short 1 Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Coil harness wire short

Fuel Injector 1-7-4-6 Open Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Fuel injector wire open

Fuel Injector 3-5-2-8 Open Yes 2 Bp/min 100% Fuel injector wire open

Guardian Strategy Yes Constant 0% - 100% Protection Strategy

IAC Output LO/HI 2 Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open

Knock Sensor 1 Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open

Knock Sensor 1 Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short

Low Drive Lube Strategy Yes Constant 100% Low oil in sterndrive

Low Oil Pressure Strategy Yes Constant 0 - 100% Low oil pressure strategy

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

NOTE: 1 GM EFI ignition system failure open or shorted, driver will flag EST 1 fault.

NOTE: 2 TPS must see 5% throttle then back to 0% to flag IAC fault.

NOTE: 3 2-wire sensor open will read sensor Hi on scan tool.

NOTE: 4VDC PWR Low - if shorted or no voltage engine will not start; if VDC PWR voltage falls velow 22 volts will set sensor faults.

NOTE: 5 Shift Switch - will activate code when engine rpm are above 3500 rpm and 40%

load.

GENERAL INFORMATION SERVICE MANUAL NUMBER 36

Page 1A-26 90-864573 FEBRUARY 2002

Warning Chart (continued)

Main Power Relay Output Yes No N/A Engine will not start

Main Power Relay Backfeed Yes No N/A Engine will not start

MAP Sensor 1 Input High Yes 2 Bp/min 90% High voltage or short

MAP Sensor 1 Input Low Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open, no visual on

SC1000 Oil PSI CKT Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open, defaults to 50.7 psi

Oil PSI CKT Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short, defaults to 50.7 psi

Overspeed Yes Constant rpm limit Engine over rpm limit

Pitot CKT Hi No 100% Short or high voltage

Pitot CKT Lo No 100% Open

Sea Pump PSI Lo Yes Constant 6-100%

GuardStrat Sea Pump CKT Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open - 0 psi reading

Sea Pump CKT Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Voltage high or short

Sea Water Temp No N/A Defaults to --31 degreesC

Fuel Level #1 No N/A Only if turned on

STB EMCT CKT Hi N/A N/A N/A N/A

STB EMCT CKT Lo N/A N/A N/A N/A

STB EMCT CKT Overheat N/A N/A N/A N/A

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine

is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

NOTE: 1 GM EFI ignition system failure open or shorted, driver will flag EST 1 fault.

NOTE: 4VDC PWR Low - if shorted or no voltage engine will not start; if VDC PWR voltage

falls velow 22 volts will set sensor faults.

NOTE: 5 Shift Switch - will activate code when engine rpm are above 3500 rpm and 40%

load.

SERVICE MANUAL NUMBER 36 GENERAL INFORMATION

90-864573 FEBRUARY 2002 Page 1A-27

Warning Chart (continued)

Steer CKT Hi No 100% Short or high voltage

Steer CKT Lo No 100% Open

TPS1 CKT or Range Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short or high voltage

TPS1 CKT or Range Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open or low voltage

Trim CKT or Range Hi Yes No 100% Open or high voltage

Trim CKT or Range Lo Yes No 100% Short

5 VDC PWR Low 4 Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short or low -

engine may not start

MAT Sensor Hi Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open -default to --32

degrees F

MAT Sensor Lo Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Short -default to --32

degrees F

Shift Switch 5 Yes 2 Bp/min 90% Open Circuit

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

NOTE: 4VDC PWR Low - if shorted or no voltage engine will not start; if VDC PWR voltage

falls velow 22 volts will set sensor faults.

load.

Some additional common possibilities posed by Shepherd some time ago...

1. IAC - idle air control valve. Your model should be the same as an '02 Ford Windstar. Will need gasket # 27-863112 for this job. Items # 15 & 16 in the link below.
http://www.marinepar.../884717/8093-85

2. Water pressure sensor - found on the power steering cooler. Job is to monitor the water pressure generated by the impeller. When the sensor fails, the ECM wonders if the impeller hasn't completely failed, but notices the engine isn't getting hot. Located by the distributor - will probably have a white body. Item # 17 in the link below.
http://www.marinepar...884717/8093-280

3. Faulty gear oil reservoir, or low gear oil level. If the reservoir is full, a test can be done where a new reservoir is attached to the wires, and the new empty reservoir turned upside down. If the beeping stops, the original reservoir is faulty. Items # 3 or 11 in the link below.
http://www.marinepar.../884717/8093-30

4. Loose wires - usually on the starter motor. EFI communicates by voltage, and if there are loose wires, the ECM can't talk properly to it's sensors for information. Also check the wires on the alternator.

5. Wrong grade/weight of engine oil. i.e. 10w30 instead of 25w40, etc. If 10w30 oil is used, once the engine is warmed up and under heavy load, one should be able to see the oil pressure fluctuating wildly above 3500 RPM which is causing the ECM to trigger the alarm.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your input guys. I was on vacation with my 246ssi in Ontario Canada and didn't have wifi. I found the alarm page in my manual that tells you what the likely system malfunction is. The short beep every minute is an environmental issue, such as the PVC, O2, or catalytic converter. It has nothing to do with the engine oil pressure, water temp, or outdrive, so I disconnected that alarm for now and will pony up for a diagnostic tester shortly. BTW, I understand Clymer is issuing a maintenance manual very soon. It can be preordered for $25 on Amazon. I used Clymer manuals for my previous boats and saved a ton of money.

I really appreciate everyone who offered suggestions and helpful information. Dave

Depends on the engine, and the exact issue. Usually the short beep alarm is really a non-critical event, but some issues can become critical above a certain threshold. i.e. above 3500 RPM, sometimes the alarm will turn to a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Would need a SPX marine diagnostics unit for proper testing. Automotive version is not compatible.