HB226

Lake Havasu Boating Disaster.

100 posts in this topic

First I should say we are all safe and back home. We arrived Sunday afternoon and didn't launch until Monday morning. That launch resulted in discovering that the issue I mentioned in another thread about my engine not revving was a real problem because it didn't get better when we got out of the breakwater. The engine purred smooth at idle but would not take gas and give power. We pulled it out and I drove around town looking for a shop that would scope it and the guy at Sun Country took mercy on me. He discovered it was the C sensor and it had failed so even though I had plenty of water pressure the boat thought I didn't and wouldn't get out of guardian mode. He replaced and I paid and problem solved. Launched and the boat was its fantastic self again flying across the lake.

I let my 15-year-old take a turn somewhere halfway between the marina and the dam. We are a family of 5 and we were all in the back. I was standing next to him holding the tower. He was having fun weaving a lazy snake pattern nothing reckless going about 30 MPG and he started a turn around a small island that was about 200 yards off shore. He was going to loop around it and before I could react we were coming around the other side and where deep water should be was a field of white rock right below the surface unmarked. As he continued over the top you heard a BAM and felt a jolt. He had his lanyard on so as he got up the engine shut off. Instantly we heard water rushing in and alarms going off. The water behind the boat instantly had a slick. I lifted the engine compartment and the bilge was filling with water. That #%^$&%$ed Chaparral started the bilge pump and I am told because of the hull design stabilized itself and stayed afloat. Right or wrong the Chaparral dealer told me a Sea Ray would have sunk.

My wife went into protective mode and got us all life jackets and the radio. In the end, it was good old 911 on the cell phone that got her a response. I flagged down a boater who pulled us over to the AZ side, the island was on the CA side because I saw what turned out to be an old closed run down marina. We had a sheriff from AZ and CA arrive on their boats and they determined it wasn't alcohol related and at 15 with adults you can operate a boat and chalked it up as an accident with no negligence. We had Sea Tow pull us back to Lake Havasu Marina. It took 3 hours and was a pleasant ride at sunset that cost $785.

I have Norman Spencer insurance and when I called they said the tow is covered and now I begin the claim process. I have a $686 deductible. My assumption is I will get this fixed for $686? I think they should examine the transom and engine to make sure there is no unseen damage?

accident1.jpg

accident3.jpg

accident4.jpg

accident5.jpg

accident6.jpg

accident7.jpg

accident8.jpg

accident9.jpg

accident10.jpg

I think it's clear I need a new outdrive.

I know your feeling. Same thing happened to me on 4th of July. Hit a submerged wreck that wasn't marked. Quite a bit of damage to mine. All I had to pay is my deductible. Everything else was paid by insurance. Glad everyone is safe. Unfortunately your 15 year old will be gun shy for some time probably. Mine is still in repair for maybe another two weeks. Good luck.

WOW!! hope for a speedy fix. Glad everyone's ok. luckily it didn't send you into the windshield or anything.

Hopefully they look at the motor as well. Shutting the motor down at higher RPM can cause it to suck water into the cylinders. it would suck if they let water sit or try to turn it over with water in the cylinders and do more damage. just a thought, not trying to add to the already BAD DAY!

I am glad everone is OK!!! Also, I am not trying to be jerk but 30mph is fast for anyone. Boats do not have seat belts. More so when close to the shore line. I have done the same thing, but at slower speeds. NEW SKEG!!

What helps me is,looking at my GPS to show were getting into shallow water. I will not take my boat into any area that is less than 8 feet at low tide and only at headway. You just don't know whats below you. AND I will find it.

Is to sinking, "Right or wrong the Chaparral dealer told me a Sea Ray would have sunk." not sure on that one. But I have always said, add an extra pump, its cheap insurance.

I am glad everone is OK!!! Also, I am not trying to be jerk but 30mph is fast for anyone. Boats do not have seat belts. More so when close to the shore line. I have done the same thing, but at slower speeds. NEW SKEG!!

What helps me is,looking at my GPS to show were getting into shallow water. I will not take my boat into any area that is less than 8 feet at low tide and only at headway. You just don't know whats below you. AND I will find it.

Is to sinking, "Right or wrong the Chaparral dealer told me a Sea Ray would have sunk." not sure on that one. But I have always said, add an extra pump, its cheap insurance.

I don't disagree and hindsight is 20/20 every time. One problem with that 226 is going 30 in it is like doing 100 in a good BMW, it is too smooth.

Wow that is something else!

Good job by your family - everyone knew what to do and avoided a bad thing getting worse.

Is the only damage to the hull the chunk on the transom? Skeg?

I'm not sure what sort of strain that puts on the crank to have a hit like that while well underway - guessing the shop will know what to do.

Would be nice to hear if the patrol plans to drop a buoy there - any craft your size or larger is at risk still otherwise!

Hope your boy doesn't take it too hard - it is a good lesson though with wisdom I'd guess he'll not soon forget - reminds us all we just don't know how close things are with flucuating water levels.

Well fix her up and move on mate! :thsmilie_water_119-1:

Louis, Glad you and the family are all OK.......

Man is that thing a banged up!!!!!!!!!

Insurance Good.

The guys at Sun Counrty for getting you going :clapsmiley: .

Yes....glad everyone is ok as well. Insurance should cover everything that was accident related. That's why we have it.

Best thing to do is to put your son back behind the wheel when you get the boat back. It'll restore his confidence in him driving the boat and it will also show him that you trust him and that it was an accident.

Holy cow, that must have been one heck of a jolt. So glad to hear everyone is ok and that you insurer is starting this process in the right way.

Good advice from Jjlai724, just an accident that could have happened to anyone behind the wheel.

Holy $@#$%@#....that could have ended much worse!

BTW, a quick turn, and pulling the power will slide it sideways, and you can stop on a dime!

Just dropped it off at the dealer. So far no hole in the hull so it seems the bellows. They will pull the engine and check but so far he said it is likely ok. The upper and lower outdrive are a complete loss and will be replaced. Some minor gel coat work on the back as pictured. They will lift off the trailer and better inspect the whole hull. They will send the prop out to a place that makes it better than stock. They said they see much worse and this will be a easy fix. All in all a new boat. WOW

Just dropped it off at the dealer. So far no hole in the hull so it seems the bellows. They will pull the engine and check but so far he said it is likely ok. The upper and lower outdrive are a complete loss and will be replaced. Some minor gel coat work on the back as pictured. They will lift off the trailer and better inspect the whole hull. They will send the prop out to a place that makes it better than stock. They said they see much worse and this will be a easy fix. All in all a new boat. WOW

Nice... :clapsmiley:

30 really isn't that fast. Just crazy this happened. I am shocked no one fell out of the boat or got injured because you basically hit a wall and just stopped I would imagine? I would want to really check out the transom after an impact like that. From the pictures in shocked to outdrive didn't call off. Looks like the trim rams are holding it on? Is it just me, or are lakes not really well marked? Around us, the charts are pretty much dead on.

Man that stinks!! darn rocks!!! That boat is too pretty to be banged up...Glad it wasn't worse..Louis which dealer are you using??? Tillys in H.B.???

Yes, Tilly's in HB. Jack is a friend and John is my mechanic. Both have been doing this 30 years plus and I trust they will make everything perfect. :haha-7383:

30 really isn't that fast. Just crazy this happened.

Exactly... I am getting sooo tired of some folks on here who say such nonsense... so what speed should we be doing in the middle of a lake? 15 mph? Get a life!

Others say they've never done WOT. Seriously? I'm out of words. There is nothing dangerous about doing WOT all day long in the waters you know, with no swimmers, surfers or very close proximity of other boats. Unless your WOT means 120 MPH. Then I'd see your point. Maybe. Depending on the situation... and the size of the lake.

OP, get yourself blucharts for your Garmin unit. Priceless. I just got them myself for a silly 150 bucks and it "only" took me 3 years. This is the best insurance you can imagine. At least for my area, literally every shallow spot is well marked and I'm talking 4 different lakes, some of them Great Lakes. Remarkable! I also almost destroyed my boat before I had the blucharts. The standard Garmin maps suck big time and are essentially useless. Glad you did not sink!

Bet he wasn't...probably wears a helmet too!! :)

Now now, I also think he was serious but some folks aren't comfortable at speed and shouldn't go that fast. Some folks are too comfortable and get themselves in bad situations fast. I (and the admiral as well) love a good wot run when the lake permits. I cruise around 30 because when trimmed right it seems to be the sweet spot for efficiency in my old girl.

I did kinda chuckle at the helmet comment but keep it between me and you.

Now now, I also think he was serious but some folks aren't comfortable at speed and shouldn't go that fast. Some folks are too comfortable and get themselves in bad situations fast. I (and the admiral as well) love a good wot run when the lake permits. I cruise around 30 because when trimmed right it seems to be the sweet spot for efficiency in my old girl.

I did kinda chuckle at the helmet comment but keep it between me and you.

Then they should buy a sail boat or a trawler and not try and belittle those who buy a sport boat and use it as such at about HALF its top speed.

Just to support the minority point of view ... the 30 mph was too fast for the circumstances therefore it ended like it did.

Looks like it was too fast for a supervising adult in charge ... to assess the situation in time, to react or instruct a kid, and to take any proper measure to avoid the rock shelf that connects the "island" with the mainland. Me thinks this could have been a partially submerged peninsula on the charts that were not consulted before or during the excursion.

Glad nobody was hurt, and I would pin the blame on the adult and not on the kid. Helmet worn ... :D