HB226

Lake Havasu Boating Disaster.

100 posts in this topic

HB my ex has a 30 foot SR for sale in Long Beach.....last time I spoke with her.

I wouldn't want to own one I just want to #$%#$ about stuff on their forum :thmadslap-1:

It can happen any time you are in unfamiliar water. Come to think of it, it can happen, even when you know the lake like the back of your hand...

brick

It can happen any time you are in unfamiliar water. Come to think of it, it can happen, even when you know the lake like the back of your hand...

brick

That's why I LOVE this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at that!

Worth every single penny and then some! Look at how I completely avoid even the light blue water which is below 20 ft and a lot of that is super safe and I see all sorts of boats go screaming through those waters without any problems and some day I probably will once I get a few years under my belt but for now? Not me! No way lol notice how I'm always sticking to my bread crumbs? I even nibble the edge but that's about it. :D

Just stay in the white water! :)

IMG_3329_zpsyosdzxst.jpg

Worth every single penny and then some! Look at how I completely avoid even the light blue water which is below 20 ft and a lot of that is super safe and I see all sorts of boats go screaming through those waters without any problems and some day I probably will once I get a few years under my belt but for now? Not me! No way lol notice how I'm always sticking to my bread crumbs? I even nibble the edge but that's about it. :D

IMG_3329_zpsyosdzxst.jpg

my Garmin display doesn't look like that, what is it?

my Garmin display doesn't look like that, what is it?

Oh my goodness, HB, this is the 741xs with G2 Bluechart. What's on display there is not even 8% of that thing's capabilities and things that it can show and anything comparable will change your boating experience, especially when it comes to depths and unfamiliar waters. Example, last year we towed the boat to Cape Cod for our vacation and the entire 10 days the boat sat on the trailer and we never put it in the water because it was just too risky with sandbars and shallow waters all over the place, plus unfamiliarity. Had I had this thing installed already, we would've been boating the whole time. This year we're going in 2 weeks and you can bet we're launching bit time.

The smaller, 531s that came with the boat showed the water all in one, uniform color and land with names, that's it. No depth markings or any deep/shallow water color variations like this.

This one is a 7" screen so I had to mount it on top of my helm which works perfectly with line of sight and just a few weekends ago it helped me find a fuel dock that helped us get back. Lost of excellent features but the cartography an resolution is outstanding. Doesn't show in that picture of course since my phone was shaking when I took the pic.

While I was in Europe last month I had the opportunity to take a cab from my hotel to the Munich airport which is the Autobahn. 142mph. It was a #$^% of a ride.

Hb, there is a much cheap solution that I use that has even more detailed charts than HG's fancy garmin. Its a $15 app called Navionics usa. All you do is download the charts for your area, turn on your location on your smartphone and voila. It's been priceless when I boat in the keys, which are about 1-10 ft. deep up to 5 miles off shore with lots of rocks and sandbars. HG, your boat came with basic charts, but I bet you have an sd slot to run garmin bluecharts.

Thank you Hatem

You're welcome, anytime. The white (deeper & safer) water even changes with different bodies of water for example we d\go down the Annisquam River a lot and that river is about 5 miles long (something like that) but it's heavily affected by low tide which is basically a 10 to 12ft swing and the marked channel which is dredged specifically for boat traffic and the 4 or 5 marinas on the way is then converted to the white colored water where it's depths can vary from 10ft deep (maybe even lower could be 8ft) all the way to 25 ft deep but it's also marked red and green and all you need to do is hug the greens on the way in and the reds on the way out while staying in that white water, you're safe and sound. So it automatically adjusts for it to make your depth awareness very safe.

I have Navionics on my Android pad, Drew, and it's fine but I hate it compared to this thing here. This unit is just way user friendly and so well marked making your boating so easy and safe.

Sucks to hear that! I drove down to Havasu from Park Moabi that exact same day. As many have said, conditions on this lake and river change all the time. We do most of our boating here and things change every trip it seems like. About 5 minutes north of the sandbar on the west side (California) there are now do not enter markers directing you not to take that side which are fairly new. As a matter of a fact, the water is so high at that part that the sandbar is completely underwater. Navigating these waters are difficult as it's completely dependent on the water released from the dam. I saw the water level increase 4 feet in a matter of hours one day and I'd imagine if more is leaving than coming in it could do just the opposite. An area that was safe in the morning could no longer be safe in the afternoon and that's the unfortunate risk we run boating here.

Glad to hear that everyone is okay and the boat is repairable. Don't think the lecturing at anyone is necessary and I'm happy to hear the family is safe. Material items can be repaired or replaced and the safe outcome is number one.

Sucks to hear that! I drove down to Havasu from Park Moabi that exact same day. As many have said, conditions on this lake and river change all the time. We do most of our boating here and things change every trip it seems like. About 5 minutes north of the sandbar on the west side (California) there are now do not enter markers directing you not to take that side which are fairly new. As a matter of a fact, the water is so high at that part that the sandbar is completely underwater. Navigating these waters are difficult as it's completely dependent on the water released from the dam. I saw the water level increase 4 feet in a matter of hours one day and I'd imagine if more is leaving than coming in it could do just the opposite. An area that was safe in the morning could no longer be safe in the afternoon and that's the unfortunate risk we run boating here.

Glad to hear that everyone is okay and the boat is repairable. Don't think the lecturing at anyone is necessary and I'm happy to hear the family is safe. Material items can be repaired or replaced and the safe outcome is number one.

agreed

Gave the BlueCharts some thought. Went on Amazon. I only Lake boat and the few reviews were pretty bad dfor what I wanted..so im saving 170 puppies........

Glad to here everyone was ok. Sorry for the damage. It looks like Havasu hit us both last week. The vessel assist tow operator who pulled us in told me of 6 recoveries he had to perform during the monsoon. Crazy.

Exactly... I am getting sooo tired of some folks on here who say such nonsense... so what speed should we be doing in the middle of a lake? 15 mph? Get a life!

Others say they've never done WOT. Seriously? I'm out of words. There is nothing dangerous about doing WOT all day long in the waters you know, with no swimmers, surfers or very close proximity of other boats. Unless your WOT means 120 MPH. Then I'd see your point. Maybe. Depending on the situation... and the size of the lake.

WOT is $90/hr for me, much cheaper than the $130/hr it was last season but still - I am not sure I can WOT all day long without going broke :pirate:

IMG_3329_zpsyosdzxst.jpg

The latest Navionics has a display setting where you can do blue/white boundaries like that. I have mine set at 10 ft depth which is about as shallow as I want to WOT or cruise on inland lakes. Also I am noticing almost daily map updates coming onto my Android tablet (almost too many - and for whatever reason it always wants to download while I'm on 4G instead of off my wifi while I'm at home. That said, though, I am getting refreshed depth info multiple times a month with Navionics instead of the once annually I was getting previously. Could be refreshed at different rates for different areas, though - we have TONS of bass fishing going on here through the season, which is what I suspect is driving my frequent chart updates.

Glad all are ok and appreciate you sharing. No flaming here. Perhaps a guideline for training new drivers could be to do it where our water knowledge is highest. And one of my own guidelines is discouraging any standing while at speed. Sudden evasive maneuvers could mean disaster.

Thanks again. We can always learn from others' situations.

Man! Why didn't they have the forks spread as wide as possible and use two straps?

Having any less than a 45o angle on a pick puts terrific strain on the sling, not to mention a cram job on your gunnels.

No guarantee of a level pick the way they did it either.

Oh well, the good news it just looked like the one rash underneath.

Any word on when you get it back?

Will be curious to hear the Butcher's bill when all said and done.

Get new props...Hey is the insurance claim going smoothly or are they choking their chickens??? I have never had a claim..auto or boat...knock on wood.....