Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmiska

Two 14 year old boys are lost out of Jupiter Inlet- BOTLO

41 posts in this topic

Dang I boat one inlet North of Jupiter up in Stuart!!! As a kid, my dad kept the boat in Jupiter and we went out of the inlet a bunch of times in our old Chap. That inlet does get nasty and you have to know how to navigate it for sure! A couple of years back, a sportfish charter captain stuffed his bow into a swell and tumbled from the bridge and died. Lake worth inlet and St. Lucie Inlet are much safer. Don't get me started on Boynton though!

Edit: I just looked at the thread, I was under the impression something happened in the inlet. Didn't know they were going to the bahamas. That's pretty crazy for a couple of teenagers...The stream can get very rough at times. Did they have a vhf with dsc or epirb? Unfortunately I'm in Alabama, so there's no way for me to help with the search. Best of luck and hope they find them!

I thought of you being in the area when I posted, Drew. No idea what equipment they had on board. It's only presumed that they may have been headed to the Bahamas, but more likely they were just heading out to fish. It's possible that they had engine failure and were unable to get back. They're probably now being pushed north. Anyone cruising offshore out of that area should be looking.

Here's a few questions - is there an age limit to operating a boat in Florida, without the supervision of an adult as in this case and is there a licensing process in FA anyway? Do you need to have a boating license? No such thing here in MA but just north of the border in New Hampshire you have to be licensed to operate a boat so in this case, with the exceptional amount of boating that goes on in Florida I would think they would regulate it someway with some "age limit for operation" or even go as far as licensing.

In Florida, anyone born after January 1, 1988 needs a safety certificate from an approved course (Power Squadron, USCG Aux). No one under 14 can operate a PWC, under any circumstances. In this case, being the boys are 14, they probably do have a safety certificate, and are probably perfectly legal.

Here's a few questions - is there an age limit to operating a boat in Florida, without the supervision of an adult as in this case and is there a licensing process in FA anyway? Do you need to have a boating license? No such thing here in MA but just north of the border in New Hampshire you have to be licensed to operate a boat so in this case, with the exceptional amount of boating that goes on in Florida I would think they would regulate it someway with some "age limit for operation" or even go as far as licensing.

Yup boaters license. I've had one since I was 13 lol!!! My buddy and I use to boat in his 13' Whaler all the time in Jupiter. We never left the inlet though.

In Florida, anyone born after January 1, 1988 needs a safety certificate from an approved course (Power Squadron, USCG Aux). No one under 14 can operate a PWC, under any circumstances. In this case, being the boys are 14, they probably do have a safety certificate, and are probably perfectly legal.

Yup boaters license. I've had one since I was 13 lol!!! My buddy and I use to boat in his 13' Whaler all the time in Jupiter. We never left the inlet though.

So are these two things basically the same thing? The power squadron safety certificate is the boater's license?

So are these two things basically the same thing? The power squadron safety certificate is the boater's license?

Pretty much. You get the certificate from USPS or USCG Aux and send it to the Florida Fish and Wildlife commission. They send you a license that's good for life. I don't need it because I'm old, but I have one, anyway. Most boat rental places require it, regardless of age, and it's good in the event of an accident or anything like that. On top of that, it's good for insurance.

Thanks for explaining that, Joe. I have the same thing which allows me to boat in other states that require licenses and it does help with insurance, no question.

As far as the two young fellas, I really hope they find them somehow clinging on to some remote rock but from what they're saying, this happened in the inlet just as that squall came through? Then there's basically not a lot of space to search IIRC. If they did indeed get out of the inlet and were on their way to the Bahamas and then faced the storm, hopefully their youthfulness and some sense of survival preparation will help keep them alive until someone finds them.

I remember the story of the ex-Miami Dolphin who fell out of his boat and he swam something like 19 miles or something like that.

Sobering reminder of how dangerous OCEAN boating is and up this way, if you're forced to end up in the water, you probably have 20 minutes to be rescued because of the water temperature. So it's MUCH worst up here and that's why I'm doing everything I can to make my boat as survivable as possible should (God Forbid) any bad situation happen. You need those rescuers (or the nearest vessel) to come to your aid ASAP! EPIRB is next on my list now that the VHF has the issued MMSI #. Any safety feature if it's doable it's going in before any offshore boating experiments begin. Besides, a bowrider is not really meant to go too far anyway so the good days are also picked out very carefully.

Doesn't look good...I bet they weren't wearing life jackets or couldn't get to them when the boat capsized.

I understand there were a lot of storms through there in the last few days. If it's been like this side it could hardly be much worse. We've had non-stop major storms with wind, strong lightning and now flooding in the rivers. I can't stop thinking of these guys and just praying for their rescue.

Am I the only one here who is bothered with two 14 year old boys being allowed to take a 19` boat offshore to the Bahamas. I`m a fresh water guy and do not fully understand offshore boating I admit, but I have been offshore many times and just see this as an accident waiting to happen. I hope the boys are found safe, not feeling very confident though.

I have lived at the edge of the ocean all my life. If they have access to a boat as we always did you keep venturing out further and further. It is no different than when you had your first bike or car and you keep expanding your known world. Maybe the parents didn't know their plan and wouldn't have approved, I don't know. What I do know is we did many things we knew better than to ask permission to do. I hope they are safe, but I agree it doesn't look good. If they got their vests on I think the water there is warm and being young they can tread for a long time.

They weren't allowed to go out in the ocean per interviews with the parents, but they did so anyways. Their boat was found 67 miles out to sea, West End is about 65-70 miles from Jupiter. Crossing over to the Bahamas really is no big deal and I know people who do it all the time. I wouldn't take a 19 ft. boat, but people take 13 ft. Whalers, jet skis, and jet boats. What you don't do is leave in the middle of the afternoon because the winds kicks up the sea and the chance of storms increases exponentially. That's the fatal mistake, but if their boat was 67 miles due west when found, they almost made it to the Bahamas...

Am I the only one here who is bothered with two 14 year old boys being allowed to take a 19` boat offshore to the Bahamas. I`m a fresh water guy and do not fully understand offshore boating I admit, but I have been offshore many times and just see this as an accident waiting to happen. I hope the boys are found safe, not feeling very confident though.

Didn't you read my first post? After the tongue lashing "WE" who supposedly were a bit concerned that 30mph might be a bit too fast on that other thread and only suggesting am opinion and NEVER under the supposition that this is the way everyone should cruise a lot less faster yet with all the mach hamacho camacho (don't worry I won't post the Village People video agai) we took a pounding and a beating and so now I only asked what the age limit was LEGALLY set in Florida and apparently it is 14. Are they too young to be out there on their own @#$^#^ yeah but who the @#$^#^ are we to voice our opinion with all the maco camachos on board?

But I'm with you 100% that it'a way too young to be out there on your own at that age when you can't even drive a friggin car let alone a boat what does that tell you? And Chap243, disclaimer, none of this is directed at you and I'm sure you've figured out my sarcasm at tis point and that I'm actually in complete aggremment with you.

Man, those two vids almost made me get up and quit my job!

Haha! I've been wanting to do something like that. Every summer, the Bahamas ministry of tourism puts on what's called "flings" where they sponsor a group of boaters going to and from the Bahamas. I think it's a couple hundred, but they provide a lead boat and a chase boat. Usually about 15 boats go in addition to the government boats. I think I'm going to do that some time once I get my cuddy cabin lol!!!

Man, those two vids almost made me get up and quit my job!

No doubt, looked like a blast and amazingly smooth condition of the ocean. That crystal clear blue water is gorgeous and most inviting. Guessing the center console doubled as the fuel barge for the jet ski's as well as a safety vessel in the event of breakdown. Based on my Sea Doo's fuel consumption, don't think I could make it halfway there on one tank.

Well done........

Here they are: http://www.bahamas.com/boating-flings

As for the sea conditions, glassy calm does happen, but it's rare. You have to pick your days well. Wind from the north kicks up the gulf stream for some nasty waves. It's usually much calmer in the summer minus storms which pop up all the time.

For what its worth, by all accounts, at 14 those guys were experienced mariners. Knowing the men and young men in my own wife's family, all of whom grew up on the water in Florida, they probably had more sea time by age 14 than most of us will have by age 50. These guys knew what they were doing. They were so regular at the marina that, according to the story I saw, had bought 30 gallons of fuel for their boat, but ran a few dollars short paying for it. The boat owner was going to call his mother to ask her pay the marina, but the owner told them not to worry about it, because he knew them so well. They may have posted on a social media site that they were headed to the Bahamas, but that doesn't mean that they actually tried to go. Their boat was found with the engine cover off. It's likely that they were around the inlet and had motor trouble, then the squall line came through and swamped their boat. The Gulf Stream runs very close there, and that's how their boat ended up roughly 60 miles out around Daytona. Honestly, this is a tragedy that could probably happen to many of us who venture off shore; in this awful case it happened to be a couple of beautiful young boys who were out for a day of fishing and boating.

Yup, gulf stream is 8 miles off jupiter. Who knows what happened, hope they're okay, but it doesn't look good. Squalls in Florida are no joke.