Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
azivic

Submerged log damage

15 posts in this topic

I was out yesterday and possible hit a submerged log in 9 feet of water. It kicked my trim up and turned the wheel. I am now slowly taking on water. I have pulled the boat out of the water and strapped it to my trailer and let it back down to see where the water is coming in at. It appears that my drive has been displaced slightly and water is getting in there. The bilge pump easily keeps up with it but I want to know what I should have the mechanic look at before I take it out again. It is a 2006 190 SSI with Volvo 4.3 with an SX drive. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes. Possible broken gimble housing or broke drive. Don't use it until it's throughly inspected by a certified boat mechanic. Contact you insurance provider as it should be a covered claim.

I guess I have been lucky, I have hit several HUGE submerged logs. Some did no damage, just kicked the outdrive up but last year one put a 90 degree fold on my front prop but nothing else. Early this year I hit the biggest one yet running about 35 MPH and no damage at all and it was one #$^% of a lick.

Get it looked at by a Merc mechanic and call your insurance. I hit something the week before Memorial Day and didn't notice any real damage till the second time out after that when I lost all of the drive lube. I'm at just under 5k and haven't had my boat for two months. Hopefully this week I'll get it back??

Sorry to hear that OP.

Man, i admire you guys for wanting to boat in places like that. I have a friend who almost sunk after he hit one at wot (British Columbia). The drive was ripped out. The boat was never the same after 20k in insurance covered work... I'd be crazy nervous each time I hit the throttle. Boating would be more stress than fun. We have it so good here In Ontario...

It really is pretty rare but if you cover enough territory on flowing rivers and open water it is a risk that is always there. Last year while cruising across Mobile Bay I went right by a submergered 55 gallon drum. It was likely a drum of oil and would not have been good if struck.

Sorry to hear that OP.

Man, i admire you guys for wanting to boat in places like that. I have a friend who almost sunk after he hit one at wot (British Columbia). The drive was ripped out. The boat was never the same after 20k in insurance covered work... I'd be crazy nervous each time I hit the throttle. Boating would be more stress than fun. We have it so good here In Ontario...

"The drive was ripped out. The boat was never the same after 20k in insurance covered work..."

That's not good to hear

Kinda of surprised when I hit a submerged log along Long Beach/Huntington Beach, CA after a large rainstorm. I saw a line of trash 1/4 mile ahead, out by the oil drilling islands, and was just about to slow down when I hit it.

I didn't see it until the last second, and too late to miss.

No damage to the outdrive or prop, but it did break loose the engine coupler.

Usually something has to give.

Good luck on your's.

I was in the Ross Barnett Reservoir in central MS. I took it to the shop this morning and the first thing they asked was if I have called the insurance company. They said it looks like a new transom seal which means they have to pull the motor also. I bent and gouged the prop and maybe bent the shaft. They won't know until they start tear down.

Impact followed by water infiltration is never a simple fix. Get it to the dealer and call the insurance company. W

I was in the Ross Barnett Reservoir in central MS. I took it to the shop this morning and the first thing they asked was if I have called the insurance company. They said it looks like a new transom seal which means they have to pull the motor also. I bent and gouged the prop and maybe bent the shaft. They won't know until they start tear down.

Hi Azivic,

Sounds exactly like what happened to me in early Spring. I needed a new transom seal, prop repair, and some other minor work that totaled to around $3k. Several of the members here were great help in troubleshooting, thanks guys. Good luck.

Sound like your transom seal to me, similar this happened to me after running aground. Don't rely too much on your bilge pump, these things are cheap and don't last too long, don't want to get caught out !