Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnsons

Smith Mountain Lake Va. info

5 posts in this topic

The wife and I are considering a day trip up to Smith Mountain Lake and would like some local info on where to launch our boat and what to do while there, we would be traveling up Hwy 29 from Greensboro. If anyone has some good info please let us know.

Sorry no-one replied to your post (I think most of us just read the "Boat Talk" and "Newbie" forums). We're actually pretty friendly and helpful up here at Smith Mountain Lake. If (when) you decide to come up here again, take 29 from Greensboro to Gretna and then take 40 to Carl's place and the DQ drive thru. Take a right at DQ to Penhook dock - its a free state boat launch.

Smith Mountain Lake is on my to-do list also, Maybe next summer. Are the shallow areas well marked at SML or do you need to study the charts real close? I would be coming down from Northern Virginia on I 81.

I know this is an old thread.  I boat at SML.  If your coming up or need help let me know I live about 30 minutes from the lake.  Out there almost every weekend. 

My family and I spent last week at SML - weather was awesome!  Fortunately the water was only rough on the day we arrived and on the day we left. We prefer the Westlake Corners to Moneta bridge section given the convenience of groceries, restaurants and even a microbrewery or if the weather is bad we drive to Roanoke.