digdaddy333

New to Chaparral

Never forget to put in the drain plug when launching! :)

Always make sure to run the blower for a few minutes before starting the boat. :)

Just start reading topics in the Newbie forum, page after page there will be lots of helpful info. Post a specific question here and you will get lots of good help. Welcome!

Welcome.

Pics!

...and don't forget to pull the transom straps before backing in. B)

Or the chain at bow. I forgot to do that the other week... Was a real pain having to crank the winch up to then be able to get the chain off! :)

Or the chain at bow. I forgot to do that the other week... Was a real pain having to crank the winch up to then be able to get the chain off! :)

...and my comment in no way reflects guilt of same on my part, but don't ask me how I know a tandem trailer floats hehehehe :slap:

I'm a newbie to Chapparal boats too!!! Love this boat!!! 1995 Chapparal 2330 Open Bow Anniversary Model!! I'm putting in a 383 Stroker with a Volvo Penta Outdrive!

I'm a newbie to Chapparal boats too!!! Love this boat!!! 1995 Chapparal 2330 Open Bow Anniversary Model!! I'm putting in a 383 Stroker with a Volvo Penta Outdrive!

I had a '95 2130 and it was great. My '99 2335 is solid as well!

Also a "newbie" and a scared one at that...lol

First time owning a boat and don't know much about them. Hey, but what the heck, life is short and the days of wants are growing thin.

Just retired and want to take advantage of some of things I could never do before....bought a Harley too! lol

First time owning a boat and don't know much about them. Hey, but what the heck, life is short and the days of wants are growing thin.

Just retired and want to take advantage of some of things I could never do before....bought a Harley too! lol

Welcome!!! The internet and the people on this form will give you all of the information you need to get going. The rest will come from your own mistakes. Don't worry, we all have been there. Enjoy the experience and ask lots of questions.

Welcome! I see you are in Florida? Do you keep the boat at your dock in the water?

Short version of below long post is Welcome, you'll love boating, or hate it due to your under estimation of the ownership cost. I truly hope you love it for a life time. I have and will even if forced back to a dingy.

I've enjoyed mine. I can't see you sig on my iPhone, but based on responses, I'm guessing you bought an older model. Congrats!

I've had many good years with my "almost vintage" boat. I expected maintenance and repair bills, but I've spent more on average than I originally expected. My previous boats were sailboats, and small outboards. Many friends know what I spent on my current older boat and some have wanted to buy there own. I tell them what my dad told me years back when I was considering buying an airplane. He said, "son you know you can afford the plane, but will you also be able to afford to play with it, fly it, maintain it, and store it?" As an airplane owner himself, he told me that I should consider the entire purchase price as simply my down payment on plane ownership. 2 years later, with 1 engine rebuild due to a failing #4 cylinder, followed by loosing two more #4 cylinders Subsequent of rebuild, I was finally convinced to enjoy other people's planes and rentals 😔 And after a business (#1) collapse I gave it up completely. That said, boats are nowhere close to being as expensive to own, but new boaters typically underestimate ownership cost. So do yourself a favor, set your expectation now that BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. This is the difference between a happy boater and a miserable owner. I've been both. Of course a good and honest mechanic is also a game changer variable that has worked against me in recent years. My last mechanical failure was unexpected and should not have happened, I was really upset. After taking the boat to storage, I left it there for two months while I pondered my options and cooled down. My decision was to fix it over the winter myself, because I no longer trust my mechanic of 8 years and have tried a couple of others, with even less integrity. I love this hobby so much that I decided I wasn't going to let a mechanic run me away from it. I'm lucky, in that I can fix almost anything and have a garage full of tools. What I have the least of these days is free time with my 4th and final new business venture (practice makes perfect). So instead of playing Holdem as my Winter hobbie, Im actually starting to have some fun with the repair process and am in the process of a full mechanical refresh from shift forks in transmission, to new engine, and most parts in between. When I'm done The boats mechanicals should be tip top. Parts alone will cost me almost half of what I bought the boat for 8 years ago, which is equal to cost of repairs that I had my mechanic do just two years ago on same failed component!!! Sounds like my Airplane all over again. Btw, there have been other repairs in previous years too, and every spring I spend weeks getting the boat ready for a new season doing all preseason maintenance myself and only using my former mechanic for major repairs that I didn't own the tools for (I now have a new rather expensive collection of Merc only tools) or resources to do. At the end of the day, my obsession is to be on the water any chance I get, since I gave up flying, So I either repair an older boat, or fork over the deer for a new one. Honestly I'm not sure what I'm doing is much cheaper than buying new. Even still new boats also have issues and require maintenance.

While I prefer playing on the boat, as to wrenching on it, this winters project is starting to gain momentum and I'm actually having some fun with it, dare say I may fall back in love...rime will tell. The group here has some very active regulars, some you'll find annoying, some funny, some take themselves too seriously, and others are long winded 😨 But 99% are very supportive, encouraging, insightful, and are happy to offer there experience. Experience levels are all over the place so get a lot of perspective before taking advise. If you become a frequent reader, you'll figure out who's who when it come to experience. Some here are worth their weight in gold and their advice is very much appreciated, as I may not have tackled an engine removal on my own without this site. I have a list of members that I would love to meet one day. So far I've only met 1 member locally, and she was the boat owner and forum member, not her husband, lol.

I live in Cape Coral, Fl for the time being. I am single and retired and have nothing to hold me in one spot. I am thinking of a possible move to South Carolina, just not sure at this time.

I do have a condo with my own dock, but it doesn't have a lift and I don't want to bottom paint or leave a stern drive in the water. I leased a storage unit down the street and it is much closer to the river and they will dry store it in an enclosed building, wash it down and fresh water flush the system.

I just took it to them on Monday and am going to have them do a thorough detail job inside and out. they are redoing the bottom, because the guy I bought it from left it in the water after he bought his other boat. There is/was a bunch of all kinds of little sea creatures on the hull.

Anyway they said it will look brand new once they are done...hope so, they ain't cheap! lol I knew I needed to do some things when I took the deal.

I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted.

There you go! Why move? Now that you have a boat, Florida can't be beat (at least in the USA)!!!

I was there last year this time, my first boat. I found everything around the docks, both coming and going, is similar to the first tee on a golf course. Everyone watches. You get over it. And you learn a lot in one season. Best advice - take the boating safety course, and maybe hire a captain to spend a few hours with you on your boat and showing you what you need to know about the local waters.

Newbie to Chaparral boats, picked up a 2008 330 Signature. Definitely going to a learning curve from a single engine 28ft to this. post-48623-0-45141500-1454516206_thumb.j