Brand new 203 vrx jet only goes 28mph @ 7000rpms!

My brother in law just got his boat and we throw it into the water and it will only go 28mph at full Rpm I'm assuming(7000)

The reverse bucket didn't move into its lock position at full forward so we thought that was the issue and re adjusted it and same problem. We pull it out of the water again and it looks like the impeller is rubbing the impeller housing slightly. I'm assuming this must be the issue. These impellers should not be rubbing I'm assuming?! I would think if it's like a turbo and its rubbing and it must be screwed. Question is..why would it be rubbing?

Did you not have this issue when doing the demo with the selling dealer? Why are you attempting to fix/adjust anything at this point? I would have this brand new first time in the water boat right back to the dealership. Don't want to get in a spot where they can say you jacked something up by adjusting on it.

I know nothing about jet drives, but seems logical that the propulsion prop should not be rubbing. We have 2 Sea Doos, but I have all service work done at dealership, sorry no help here.

No he did not do a dealer demo as there is no lakes close by. The plate was slightly blocking the jet flow and wasn't locking in the full forward position(Factory newbies) so we adjusted it so it locked in forward and threw it in the water and same god #%^$&%$ thing. He wasn't very happy.

So now he took it back into Barry jays marine(stay away) and they are telling him its a break in period where it won't let you rev it fully until ten hours is on the meter....I called complete bs on that. The boat wouldn't plane with 5 people in it if we tried and 7000rpms seems high enough. Its so loud @ 7000rpms I couldn't imagine it revving higher and louder! So I told him to call chaparral direct to resolve or confirm this stupid "break in period" The boat lugs so bad it barely stays on plane....Ten hours of that will be absolute #$^%. I'll let you all know what happens but something is wrong.

I would think if you call Customer Service at Chap, they would be all over it.

This is their first foray into jet boats, I would guess that they would want to make their customers happy at all costs to get that Jet Boat line to succeed.

Let the dealer and Chap deal with it and get them to resolve it correctly.

We don't sell the Vortex because we are a Yamaha Dealer... however this is totally normal. BRP engines have an 8-10 hour break in and they do not allow the engine to rev up all the way during this time. The selling dealer is well aware of this and I believe its stated in the owners manual. I believe as you put more hours on the engine the RPM limit is less and less until you reach the end of the break in

What modern engine needs ANY break in ???????

The tolerances & metallurgy is perfect now.

check the bottom intake grill for something over it or partially over it. Otherwise Chap dealer & customer service at Chap.

Not sure about that. Have had about 4-5 brand new vehicles over the last 5-6 years and each one had a break in period.

True.

I only buy Honda V6 Accords. They get full load & speeds right from the dealer. At 160,000, I give them away to needy people. Never a complaint about a problem. Friends with Honda Outboard motors. have 0 problems after thousands of hours.

I am lucky with Hondas.

Cyclops you are talking cars... totally different then boats..... All boats engines have a break in period before you can pull skiers/go WOT... however BRP is the only one who actually LIMITS your power. Volvo, Merc, Yamaha have a recommended breaking but the motors are capable of hitting WOT out of the box. The ECM software is smart enough to calculate engine hours at RPM levels so if you blow up a brand new engine the OEM will know if you did the break in. BRP Supercharged jets need to be broken in properly... unfortunately for the customer that means that the first 10 hrs or so are pretty lack luster. If you buy the Vortex with the non supercharged engines you are good to go right away.

So Colin the dealer is 100% right... you just need to put time on the engine....

We have a 2015 243 VRX. The dealer told us and we found it to be the case that there was a 7 hour break in. We were still able to get up to 7,000 rpm and mid 40's so it wasn't really an issue. We now have 11 hours and break in is over.

Plenty of 203 owners out here. Way to jump the gun. Hope you weren't too much of an a$& hat to the dealer. As per owners manual you should have received. Surprise the break in is no bs at all.

BreakIn and Special Procedures BREAK-IN

OPERATION

A break-in period of 10 hours is required be- fore continuous operation at full throttle.

To achieve a good break-in, a maximum of 3/ 4 throttle should be observed, however, brief acceleration and speed variations contribute to a good break-in.

ENGINE SPEED LIMITATION 200 AND 250 MODELS ONLY

IMPORTANT: During the first seven (7) hours of operation engine speed is limited by a break-in strategy programmed into the ECM.

Depending on the engine model and boat combination, maximum engine speed could be reduced to 7000 RPM or less.

Over the initial seven hours of operation, the engine speed limitation is progressively re- duced.

At the conclusion of seven hours run time, maximum engine speed is available.

NOTICE

Carefully follow the instructions in this section. Failure to do so may reduce the life and/or performance of the engines.

NOTICE

Continued wide open throttle runs and prolonged cruising without speed varia- tions should be avoided.

This can cause engine damage during the break-in period.

Plenty of 203 owners out here. Way to jump the gun. Hope you weren't too much of an a$& hat to the dealer. As per owners manual you should have received. Surprise the break in is no bs at all.

BreakIn and Special Procedures BREAK-IN

OPERATION

A break-in period of 10 hours is required be- fore continuous operation at full throttle.

To achieve a good break-in, a maximum of 3/ 4 throttle should be observed, however, brief acceleration and speed variations contribute to a good break-in.

ENGINE SPEED LIMITATION 200 AND 250 MODELS ONLY

IMPORTANT: During the first seven (7) hours of operation engine speed is limited by a break-in strategy programmed into the ECM.

Depending on the engine model and boat combination, maximum engine speed could be reduced to 7000 RPM or less.

Over the initial seven hours of operation, the engine speed limitation is progressively re- duced.

At the conclusion of seven hours run time, maximum engine speed is available.

NOTICE

Carefully follow the instructions in this section. Failure to do so may reduce the life and/or performance of the engines.

NOTICE

Continued wide open throttle runs and prolonged cruising without speed varia- tions should be avoided.

This can cause engine damage during the break-in period.

What kind of dealer either doesn't know this or would not bother to tell the customer? Thats pretty shocking!