Any suggestions for trailering

Any suggestions for trailering a 290 series? better with tandem or triple axel trailer? What tow vechicle is being used, 250-2500 or 350-3500?

Thanks

I tow an 03' 280 sig (same boat as your 290). I towed a lighter (6500 lb) Montery 276 with my Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas. That boat was all this truck could handle. I traded to the Chap 280 and it was like the tail wagging the dog--too much boat for the truck.

So I bought a 1999 4x4 Ram 3500 dually w/ a 6.7L Cummins. What a difference. No problems now. I can tell the boat is back there, but this truck pulls the 280 just fine. It backs great too. No strain at all. I definately recommend the diesel engine, and the dually limited slip axle setup gives me plenty of traction on grass and concrete w/o having to use the 4wd.

I use the same trailer that I had with the Monterey, but should probably go bigger. The GVWR for this triple axle trailer is 10,500 lb. (3500 lb axles) I'm maxing it out. I talked to a trailer dealer and he said the trailer is okay for the boat, but I'd feel better with a 15,000 lb. GVWR tr (5000 lb axles).

Hope this helps! Happy Boating!!

Maverik

Any suggestions for trailering a 290 series? better with tandem or triple axel trailer? What tow vechicle is being used, 250-2500 or 350-3500?

Thanks

The April and May issue of Go Boating magazine has some good article on towing you might find helpfull for selecting a new tow vehicle.

Thanks

Big boat = big truck. You need a triple axle and a 1-ton diesel. Dually would help.

brick

We pull with a 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins. Works very nicely. Best advise I can give is PLEASE make sure your hitch is the appropriate size. Just because it's a receiver type hitch doesn't mean it's the right size. I've seen a hitch shear off because was over loaded. I would hate to loose a boat just because one hitch might be less money.

• 2 weeks later...

I tell you the way it was explained to me....if your boat only requires a single axle trailer then get a tandem....If it requires a tandem axle trailer the you should get a tripple axle trailer..the reason behind this maddness is...if you do have a problem on the road such as a bearing problem. Then all you have to do is remove the tire and stap the axle up...Then you can continue home where it is safer to do the repairs...

• 13 years later...
On 5/15/2007 at 11:13 PM, maverik said:

I tow an 03' 280 sig (same boat as your 290). I towed a lighter (6500 lb) Montery 276 with my Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas. That boat was all this truck could handle. I traded to the Chap 280 and it was like the tail wagging the dog--too much boat for the truck.

So I bought a 1999 4x4 Ram 3500 dually w/ a 6.7L Cummins. What a difference. No problems now. I can tell the boat is back there, but this truck pulls the 280 just fine. It backs great too. No strain at all. I definately recommend the diesel engine, and the dually limited slip axle setup gives me plenty of traction on grass and concrete w/o having to use the 4wd.

I use the same trailer that I had with the Monterey, but should probably go bigger. The GVWR for this triple axle trailer is 10,500 lb. (3500 lb axles) I'm maxing it out. I talked to a trailer dealer and he said the trailer is okay for the boat, but I'd feel better with a 15,000 lb. GVWR tr (5000 lb axles).

Hope this helps! Happy Boating!!

Maverik

Hey Maverick. Could you send me some pics and info on your bunk spacing please. I have an 03 280 as well and also a tri axle 10500lb trailer I need to get set up. Thanks 

I'd go with a triple axle trailer for a boat of that size.  Most 3/4 ton trucks will pull that boat with no issue, but a dually will be better for stability.  Just depends on how far your pulling it.  Not saying you need a dually, just be a better option.  

As others have mentioned, make sure your receiver is rated for the load your towing.  I had to upgrade my receiver on a 1 ton truck.  It was only rated for 10,000 lbs.  Go figure a 1 ton truck with a wimpy receiver.  

Electric over hydraulic brakes is a plus too.  That will give you braking power at the trailer when backing down the ramp.  

Good luck.  

13 hours ago, NelsonCoish said:

Hey Maverick. Could you send me some pics and info on your bunk spacing please. I have an 03 280 as well and also a tri axle 10500lb trailer I need to get set up. Thanks 

You can easily do it yourself.  At the transom you can see exactly where you want your bunks to be sitting at their widest point but not near the chine, one set of strakes in from the chine and then calculate the level line from the top of the triple wheel fender to the angle of the hull to be sure the hull will sit above the fender.  If not, you'll need to push the bunks further in from that preceding spot to elevate the hull so it misses the fender.  It might sound complicated but it's really easy.

On the bottom of the transom where it meets the bottom of the hull, make a mark on the portside of the transom of the width of the bunk.  Do it on the other starboard side of the transom also.  Now draw vertical lines (use a pencil that you can erase and don't press too hard to dent the gelcoat) and transfer those lines up on the transom until you get above the outdrive transom plate so you can measure the exact distance between those two lines that represent the inside edge of the bunks (and the outdrive isn't in your way) and there you have it.  That's distance between the bunks for your boat.  

Only thing you need to do after that is be sure that once the boat is sitting on those bunks at that spacing that the side of the hull doesn't interfere or hit the fender of the trailer's tires.  Makes sense?