GPS Chartplotter and Sonar thread!

So, my first project for my new to me 2335 SS (once all mechanicals are determined sound) will be to upgrade the antiquated GPS. It is a Garmin 172 C with external GPS antenna and no transducer. I want this Lowrance unit as it will fit the spot where the old unit was with a simple ram mount. Below is the unit I am considering buying, it is a refurbished unit with transducer included with 6 months warranty. I am interested in using Navionics charts or even the NauticInsight charts.

Lowrance Elite 5 HDI

Drew,

I am pretty familar with these units. The Elite series is the lower priced series of units. The picture on the link shows sturcture as well as bottom. Is that what you want. I believe it needs a second transducer for that. Is it included with the unit It is priced right.

Drew. I have that unit on my boat. Great unit. I thought I'd like the HDI function but found I don't use it at all. Since I don't use this boat for fishing. But if you plan on trolling with yours then I'd get the HDI. I'd go with the 7" screen if you could fit it. The 5" is nice but when you split the screen it does get small. Otherwise it's a great unit. I just use the internal antenna for the GPS. No issues.

Cool, I want the sonar for temp, depth, and to see the bottom. It comes with almost all units so who cares. The 7 is pretty big and bulky for the helm of the 2335. I think the 5 inch screen will be good for just chartplotter and GPS. Thoughts?

I had a Garmin and wanted to up grade. I wanted to see what I was missing so I bought a Lowrance HDI unit. There tech support was not as good as Garmin and there unit lacked it on the sonar on the contour of the bottom. The menu system was lacking too.

I sold it and went back to Garmin.

I'm really in for the maps though iggy and navionics is great. It shows all my dive spots, anchorages, and more. How does blue chart g2 compare?

I only used Navionics for a month. But G2, will give you photos, info on servies in that port with haling channels and phone#s. Along with tidal stations and many GPS views.

Garmin units are just so expensive. User friendly isn't important to me as I work in IT and have built computers. I can get the lowrance for 250. The comparable Garmin is freaking $500-600! I'm interested in running the nauric insight maps as well. Would the old Garmin plugs from the 172 line up with a newer unit?

Garmin units are just so expensive. User friendly isn't important to me as I work in IT and have built computers. I can get the lowrance for 250. The comparable Garmin is freaking $500-600! I'm interested in running the nauric insight maps as well. Would the old Garmin plugs from the 172 line up with a newer unit?

I am a tech by trade, fixing large printers and computers. So I understand. For me it is not about the money (within reason), but it is a piece of safety equipment. I look for speed as in screen refreshing among other things. But to each there own?

As to the plugs, I would not think so. I went from a C3006 to a 740 and had to change out the power plug. I would call them to make sure. 800-800-1020 The power cord is easy to change out, 2 wires. But if your using NMEA0183, that could be 6 or 7 wires depending on the setup.

Not sure if that includes the transducer. The transducer is what adds to the cost.

Here's the description:

"Put superior navigational performance and a highly accurate built-in GPS antenna to work for you on the water with this Refurbished Lowrance Elite-5 HDI Combo. Create your own map from real sonar data recorded with Insight Genesis™. Page-selector menu system allows quick access to all features. 83/200kHz and 455/800kHz Transducer included. Factory refurbished. Six-month warranty."

I am a tech by trade, fixing large printers and computers. So I understand. For me it is not about the money (within reason), but it is a piece of safety equipment. I look for speed as in screen refreshing among other things. But to each there own?

As to the plugs, I would not think so. I went from a C3006 to a 740 and had to change out the power plug. I would call them to make sure. 800-800-1020 The power cord is easy to change out, 2 wires. But if your using NMEA0183, that could be 6 or 7 wires depending on the setup.

Interesting, well good to know. Maybe I'll go garmin. Either way, it's going to be what I can get a deal on because price does matter when I need other things as well.

How about a Hummingbird like this?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Marine-Electronics/Sonars-SonarGPS-Combos|/pc/104793480/c/104707080/sc/104588280/Humminbirdreg-859ci-HD-Combo/1728302.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1118469

Basically what I want is a decent chartplotter with basic sonar and GREAT maps for the lowest price I can get. The Hummingbird Helix 5 looks decent too! I prefer widescreen low profile if possible, but am flexible. That elite 5 hdi at 250 looks like a steal...