AdamG2

Can anyone with a 255/256 SSI post pics showing their trim tab install location

21 posts in this topic

Can anyone with a 255 or 256 SSI who installed trim tabs please post a pic showing their install location? Its going to be an upcoming project and it would be nice to see where others put them.

^^^^ What is that wire thingy on the right of your transom, next to the drive? I think my boat had that, and the dealer did a $hitty job in covering the holes - I just had it professionally repaired, including the gelcoat.

DSCF0018.jpg

I don't have tabs (yet) but I can't believe how clean and shiny that all looks! No salt water for you, huh? Looks great.

Finally getting around to my tab install.  I have the actual tabs installed on the hull, but am not trying to figure out where to locate the pump and control box.  I have attached a photo where I think I should mount everything.  At this time I'm planning on mounting the hydraulic pump to the starboard support holding the fire extinguisher.  This way I will have an easy time accessing it and it won't impact the extinguisher.  There is actually a starboard support coming up that the bottom of pump can rest on helping support the weight.  I'll have easy access to the grounding block for the pump.  I added the EIC-5000 indicator kit, and I am thinking about putting it on the transom near where the fittings for the starboard tab lines come through.  This is about the only location that will handle the sensor wire from the port tab and the harness going to the switch at the helm.  

Questions:

1) Any red flags with these locations?

2) Where should I wire the positive (+) cable from the controller?  I don't see a (+) terminal anywhere like there is at the helm.  I don't want to wire directly to the battery if I can help it since I have a dual battery setup.  Any suggestions?

location.jpg

Get those tabs out as far as possible, and you can power the unit at the helm station using one of the spare breakers and rocker switches that are hot when the battery isolator switch is turned on. No reason to have the tabs feed isolated by the key switch, but a good idea with the indicators. Be careful with transom mounting anything on that hull as the composite Kevlar transom is really thin.

2 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Get those tabs out as far as possible, and you can power the unit at the helm station using one of the spare breakers and rocker switches that are hot when the battery isolator switch is turned on. No reason to have the tabs feed isolated by the key switch, but a good idea with the indicators. Be careful with transom mounting anything on that hull as the composite Kevlar transom is really thin.

Tabs are already mounted.  I know that portion of the transom is nice and thick as its right next to where my hydraulic lines from the tabs come through into the engine bay.  The switch/EIC display at the helm has two power connections that I will wire at the helm, but the EIC relay module (controller) needs to be mounted in the engine compartment so the tab sensor wires and wire harness to the pump can be connected.  It also requires power, and I'm not sure where to wire it.  Should I extend the (+) cable and run it all the way to the helm, or is there a good place in the engine compartment to make the (+) connection?

diagram.jpg

Nice typo in their diagram.  I guess there is no port connector, only two starboard ones!

If you can get power to the module, the locations look fine.

Thanks for the catch on the typo, I have forwarded it to the office to be corrected.

Tom

Bennett Marine

I talked to Bennett this AM and they recommend putting the relay module/controller at the helm, so I will need to extend the wiring 

1 hour ago, Tab man said:

If you can get power to the module, the locations look fine.

Thanks for the catch on the typo, I have forwarded it to the office to be corrected.

Tom

Bennett Marine

Tom-

I asked Oliver this AM if I could just move the relay module to the helm and he said yes.  That requires me to extend the sensor cables and get a longer HPU harness which delay the project for another week of prime boating weather in Seattle.  Could I just go back to mounting it where I show in my photo and just extend the + cable from the relay module to the helm for power? 

The other catch is I want to upgrade to the new auto tab system.  If it will be a lot easier to do that upgrade with the replay module at the helm then I will just bite the bullet and get the longer harness and install it there as I don't want to have to move all the wiring connections to the helm when that comes out.  Make sense?

30 minutes ago, AdamG2 said:

Tom-

I asked Oliver this AM if I could just move the relay module to the helm and he said yes.  That requires me to extend the sensor cables and get a longer HPU harness which delay the project for another week of prime boating weather in Seattle.  Could I just go back to mounting it where I show in my photo and just extend the + cable from the relay module to the helm for power? 

The other catch is I want to upgrade to the new auto tab system.  If it will be a lot easier to do that upgrade with the replay module at the helm then I will just bite the bullet and get the longer harness and install it there as I don't want to have to move all the wiring connections to the helm when that comes out.  Make sense?

This is exactly what I want to do. Can you buy a kit for the automatic system where they substitute the automatic controller for the manual one, and just pay the difference?

Thanks

I think you can buy it that way, but I bought them separately from different dealers online and am installing them at the same time which is the only way to go.  Tabs went on fairly easy, but it would be a hassle to have to take a cylinder off, modify it, drill another hold for the sensor wire and re assemble it.  Better to do it all at once.

Installing our current AC3000 Auto Tab Control (stand alone unit that does not include the manual controls, indicator and Auto Tab in one keypad) is most easily added if the relay module for the EIC is aft near the pump and sensor wires. We do have a retrofit kit for it if the EIC is already installed.

Our new Auto Tab Pro (due out late this year) which includes all the features in one keypad is set up completely differently and I do not think there will be a retrofit kit for EICs that are already installed since other than the sensors there are no common parts..

If I had an EIC already installed, and had the room for the additional AC3000 Auto Tab keypad I would seriously consider buying it, easier to install and less expensive.

I hope this make sense.

Tom

Bennett Marine

This post has been a huge help! I have Bennett tabs I am going to install this week ( I hope) can anyone send me pictures and suggestions on where they mounted the Tabs, controller and hardware on a 255/256 SSI ?   Thank you everyone!!

On 5/9/2018 at 9:56 AM, Money well wasted said:

This post has been a huge help! I have Bennett tabs I am going to install this week ( I hope) can anyone send me pictures and suggestions on where they mounted the Tabs, controller and hardware on a 255/256 SSI ?   Thank you everyone!!

Pictures were on Photobucket, and now a PITA to show on this forum except in small format. Here is what I did on a customers 2010 255 SSi with Lenco.

Removed the blank gauge, and installed the trim indicator switch in its place.

Image result for trim tabs 255 ssi shepherd

Picture I stole off the web with Bennett 1212E with shortie cylinders (you can just make out 3 rings instead of 4 rings on standard Bennett actuator. Wingnut might have better pictures showing tab placement.

P4200024.jpg