New to me 2335 SS Sport Cuddy :)

Well, she's here!!! :oregonian_winesmiley:

Last Thursday the boat was delivered by my good friend Hatem Gomma, or just Hatem as we all know him here. He did me the favor of a life time and it was such a pleasure to meet him in person and take him out on the test run (and to lunch afterwards :D ), which I am happy to report was ultimately a success! The value of this board is immense and I can't stress that enough! I actually bought this boat sight unseen through a dealer in Maryland, who was mostly helpful. I had another good friend, Bill Crowell, or Billable Hours inspect the boat for me. Like HG, Bill also did a fantastic job and even found a few inches of water under the deck cooler trapped in the hull because of a clogged drain that he and the dealer drained to make sure the core material was solid, which it was! We think this was from the dealer washing the boat to sell it. Anyways, between these two and others like Dennis, Tom, Dwayne, Joe Miska, and many others, this board is a great place where people truly help others with their boats just for the sake of helping. If anyone needs me to look at a boat or something for them in South Florida, please don't hesitate to ask!

Now for the boat,

the boat is a '99 2335 SS, which is in very good condition. I think after I fix some of the little things and upgrade others, this boat will be near mint! The boat has a 5.7L (Vortec I think) Mercruiser TBI mounted to a B3. The boat is solid and the upholstery, gauges, and cabin are immaculate! She has a sink, porta potty, stove, transom shower, vhf radio, chartplotter, and bimini top already, but I have a lot of projects planned for this boat that I will post in this thread. For starters, I am going to upgrade the antiquated chart plotter, add a tv, add new deep cycle batteries, make a camping enclosure, underwater lights, make a v berth cushion (this boat lost it's cushion), change the bellows, repaint the transom assembly, add a new stereo system, eventually change the carpet to a non-skid decking, and much more! I will update this thread as I make progress.

For now I have a few questions:

1) My bellows (minus the u joint bellows, which looks good) show signs of age, so I'm going to replace. As a DIYer, what special tools and procedures will I need? I am going to order the kit off of ebay and I'm thinking about going with the SEI kit. My boat is dry stacked, so I'm not worried about UV exposure, but I want to replace them for peace of mind. Can I do this project myself? I have done a lot of engine work in the past including pulling an alpha one, but have never done bellows.

2) What impeller do I need for a '99 with bravo 3? Just the one with 8 blades and the shaft key?

3) What spark plugs does my engine take? What gap, .035"?

Here are some pictures:

5140582_20150719070000569_1_LARGE_zpssnv

5140582_20150719070013966_1_LARGE_zpsw2i

IMG_3455_zpsbpnmmptd.jpg

IMG_3454_zpszhjv3p1s.jpg

IMG_3453_zpsbr7lmsdj.jpg

IMG_3448_zpsy5pdkqhq.jpg

5140582_20150719070014768_1_LARGE_zpstxf

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Drew looks like you scored a sweet deal!! Previous owner was strong on up keep. Look on youtube there are several good videos on replacing the bellows, etc. I bet Hatem was styling driving his big $^& f450 towing your new ride down to you.....Kool!

:beer-7687-1: Look at that little 24' boat LOL!!!

IMG_3440_zpsgjh1gtpx.jpg

Looks like a real "gem" drew, nice find. Think you are going to love the B3!!

That beauty is begging for an extended swim platform like many on this forum have added. Believe you would love this addition based on all the FL type boating you do.

Look forward to following all your upgrades. Awesome how you worked with the good folks of this forum to buy/deliver this boat.

Drew,

At some point Merc moved the water pump (aka impeller) from the outdrive shaft to a unit inside the boat, and I thought that change was for Bravo outdrives. If that's correct you don't have an impeller in the outdrive like w/ the Alpha. It's under the engine (somewhere). Wingnut / others would know more, but this can get you started researching things in that direction.

Oh, and she looks beautiful in the water.

+1 for our good friend Hatem and his bad-a$$ed truck. :beer-7687-1:

Drew, you got a beautiful boat. Bill is right. You'll find your impeller in a small water pump housing on the starboard side of your engine, down low, near the fuel pump (assuming it's like my nearly identical engine and B-1 setup).

Looks like you found a nice one Drew. The B3 won't be denied when getting up on plane! Awesome HG and Bill could help you out like that. HG was just begging for a reason to put that sweet truck to work!

Yup, they're great guys and I'm so thankful they helped me out like they did! Hats off to them! :beer-7687-1:

Looks like you found a nice one Drew. The B3 won't be denied when getting up on plane! Awesome HG and Bill could help you out like that. HG was just begging for a reason to put that sweet truck to work!

I think HG just misses towing a boat. :banana2:

Good looking boat. Congrats!!!!!

Yes the impellor is inside the engine compartment. It's in a black housing as your looking at the engine it's at the "8 o'clock" position. Takes about 20 minutes to change. Carry a spare and some tools in case you need to change one out on the water.

Good looking boat. Congrats!!!!!

Yes the impellor is inside the engine compartment. It's in a black housing as your looking at the engine it's at the "8 o'clock" position. Takes about 20 minutes to change. Carry a spare and some tools in case you need to change one out on the water.

Okay, thanks! Do you normally change out the housing and wear plate with the impeller, or just the impeller itself? I bought the whole kit and figured I will change it out and keep the old one as a spare if it's still in good shape.

Do you normally change out the housing and wear plate with the impeller, or just the impeller itself?

I've changed the housing out first when I first bought the boat from the orginal owner. It has some scoring going on, on the backing plate. Ever since I've just been changing the impellors out every two years. 17 deers a piece via Amazon.

Okay cool, I will give it a look. Supposedly the impeller was changed 4 years ago and has 4 hours since, so I assume if the housing was bad it would've been replaced. I did have a small trickle leak on the test run so I'm thinking either drain plug, sea water pump housing, or thru hull transducer.

I did have a small trickle leak on the test run so I'm thinking either drain plug, sea water pump housing, or thru hull transducer.

It's a Chaparral. It's supposed to have a little water in the bilge. That's a factory-feature. It's your livewell. Throw your bait down there and go fishing! :yb624::yb624::yb624: