If your speedometer is not working, a good chance the intake hole is plugged up.

I read that many times, but unfortunately, I could not easily find a Boat Talk post that showed EXACTLY where the intake hole was on my 236 SSX. Thankfully, after much searching, I found the answer. Shepherd (I think), posted a picture showing exactly where the hole is. It was a few years ago, but in hopes of helping someone else I am "reposting", and added a few topic tags.

Finally, fixed, all good. I used an eyeglass screwdriver to unplug.

speedopick-up003.jpg

Again, just thought I would "Pass it On"!

Thanks!!!

I used a small drill bit and just spun it with my fingers. It had a bunch of soft gunk in it when I bought it as the previous owner kept it in the water.

Just a heads up. This speedo hole goes to a tube that runs all the way up under your dash panel. If this line comes off the back of your speedometer, while under way, water will squirt all over your electrical equipment inside your dash. If you don't notice it right away you could end up with a lot of water in your lower hull. I know someone who almost sunk there boat because of this.

I used a small drill bit and just spun it with my fingers. It had a bunch of soft gunk in it when I bought it as the previous owner kept it in the water.

Just a heads up. This speedo hole goes to a tube that runs all the way up under your dash panel. If this line comes off the back of your speedometer, while under way, water will squirt all over your electrical equipment inside your dash. If you don't notice it right away you could end up with a lot of water in your lower hull. I know someone who almost sunk there boat because of this.

Great additional info Steven, thanks!

Now, how hard is it to pull the speedometer to check?

Don't have to pull the speedo. You can see the connection from under the dash. I made a couple of things out of an old wire coat hanger to clear the outdrive hole when I'm on the water. It's in this pic next to the large chrome wrench that's shaped like a key.

IMAG0635_zpswybb4szi.jpg

I'm one for two on the drill bit cleanout of the pitot entrance.... there is a connection of the speedo tube just on the rear of the lower unit that locks into a hole in the lower unit that you may want to disconnect when attempting to unblock your pitot entrance.

For myself, I have done everything I can think of - long needles, 1/8" drill bit, wire, and even compressed air (down the lower unit housing, not on the tube connecting the speedo) but to no avail. I'm just playing the waiting game. I had a dead speedo on my old Tahoe that woke up and started working the day I let the new owner take her for a test run. Funny how things work out that way...