Signature 280/290 leak - Does your anchor locker look like this?

Rain water seems to leak into the starboard side storage under the forward berth of my 2005 Signature 290 (same as earlier year 280). The drain seems to be clear because when I add a bucket of water to the anchor locker, it drains immediately out the forward thru-hull on the port side.

Lots of tips here about water leaks from the anchor locker and cracks. I looked at my anchor locker and it seems that there is a rubber seal forward halfway up the wall of the locker, some of which appears pulled away slightly.

Is this where the crack develops, or is it usually on the wall between the locker and the cabin?

Does your anchor locker looks like this (see attached pics)?

If I seal it with the 3M putty, will it re-open or crack due to bouncing of the hull on waves (is this the root cause?) Does Chaparral have any kind of tech tip or publication to dealers on this?

post-46211-0-38790300-1442402970_thumb.j

post-46211-0-43475900-1442402980_thumb.j

post-46211-0-01160700-1442402989_thumb.j

No water leaks yet, but I did re caulk around the running lights, windlass switches, deck railings and the forward hatch. Plus I checked the rub rails and seams. After 6 years the caulk starts to harden or screws loosen up and in comes the rain water or wave splashes.

I agree with Big Fun...........my anchor locker looks more like his and no leaks. The only leak I have had was a loose deck hatch but after retightening it has been good. Leaks into the cabin are so hard to diagnose...........but most of the leaks into the bow area of the cabin are coming from the locker, just check all the forum conversations about this issue!

gr8lakes,

I had that exact problem about 5 years ago on my 310 Sig. I solved by coating the entire area in 3M 5200 caulk and smoothing with a putty knife. It's a little tedious, but works like a charm. I haven't had an issue since.

I know I have a different boat, but I had to re-seal my front hatch because water was running in under the headliner & collecting under the front berth in the same area. If your locker drain is clear, I wouldn't expect it to overflow into the cabin. At first I thought it was my locker too & even removed the entire rode & cleaned it out but found no leak points. After the hatch re-seal it stays dry even in heavy rains. Hope this helps.