Eagle Nest

Volvo Penta XDP Composite Drive Need to Replace

13 posts in this topic

Summary -

Bought boat in June, 2015 and early September the starboard drive froze up.

Now, we are looking at 20-25k Deer to replace these defective Volvo Penta drives.

We have the boat in brackish waters and looking at DPS or Ocean X drives. There is a 3k deer difference but MORE importantly which has the better history. Note, the engine hours are only 270 hours.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Eagle Nest

Are they are still covered by a warranty ? Can not believe death at 270 actual hours.

He has Volvo XPD drives. Surprised they lasted this long...

brick

Any replacement drive installed by a RELIABLE dealer will be better than what you have. The XDP composite drive can NOT be repaired.

You bought a boat with XDP drives in 2015? Have you done your research ... sorry, I digress ...

We have the boat in brackish waters and looking at DPS or Ocean X drives. There is a 3k deer difference but MORE importantly which has the better history.

Either drive is good and time tested. The OX drive is a bit newer model, has more sensors, and it is intended for salt water. You might not be able to connect all the sensors to your 2005 boat/engine but the extra corrosion protection on OX drive might be worth the extra $$$.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your input, yes; knowledge is power and perish for the lack of it. We will move forward with the DPS drives.

Enjoy the journey!

Thanks everyone for your input, yes; knowledge is power and perish for the lack of it. We will move forward with the DPS drives.

Enjoy the journey!

Wow, looks like some private/dealer got you on that one - isn't there something about full disclosure in the law?

Good luck with the outdrive work. When you have the engines out, inspect for cracks/delamination of the fiberglass on the motor mounts. Our 350 had cracks, some that we're not visible easily without the engines pulled. If you have cracks, get them fixed while the outdrives and engines are pulled out.

+1 on fixing the cracks. I had some on mine and just fixed what I could see. They weren't bad at all, but still needed sealing. Who knows what lurks in places I can't see lmao...chaparral doesnt know how to glass or spray gel coat properly.

1 of the best ways to cause cracks under the drive transom plate ? Flooring the gas from a dead stop. Higher the hp. Faster the cracks appear. Rarely have we ever heard of, or seen a boat with a 4 cylinder, Plain Jane engine, doing those spider cracks.

1 of the best ways to cause cracks under the drive transom plate ? Flooring the gas from a dead stop. Higher the hp. Faster the cracks appear. Rarely have we ever heard of, or seen a boat with a 4 cylinder, Plain Jane engine, doing those spider cracks.

That happens every time I pull up a wake boarder! :)

We will be inspecting the engine hull and mounts for more surprises and will check about disclosures. Thank you RoyR and TIdalPotomac for the tips!

Eagle Nest,

Work with a VP dealer to see if they can get special pricing on the replacement drives. We were able to get the discounted price on the drives working with our dealer this past Spring.