Denny

12V Portable A/C

A while back there was a thread on swamp coolers. I posted that I was going to make one for my girl, so I did. They are not in any order, but I have photos of the project from start to finish, from the card board box, to the finish box, and in between.

Their original design was a cooler full of ice and blowing air across it, that works great if you are have 0 degree humidity, which I do not.

Next there was one full of ice that incorporated the use of a heater core with a bilge pump pushing water through it and a blower fan that would blow air across the heater core, thus eliminating the humidity factor. I thought that, that was a good concept, so that is what I designed mine after.

Unless they did something different, their design and mine do not work as advertised.

My first design was like theirs and had the water flowing back into the cooler, even with slowing the water flow to a small trickle the ice was gone in about 1hr. So I designed a closed system. Theory was good, end product sucked. Still eat up the ice, best I could do was 80 degrees coming in and 65 degrees going out. I even went as far as to trying dry ice, besides not being practical, that didn't work either.

I have exhausted all of my practical options. My not so practical option is to have an unlimited supply of ice and an automatic drain to drain the water out. So in closing, maybe there is an engineer among one of you out there, that may have an answer. I really hate to give up on this.

However, I did locate a marine one that will work and fit in the same place, it is only 2300 deer, plus shipping and handling, and I get to drill a hole in the bottom of my girl. Denny.

Click the Pic to View the Rest

IMG_0716_zps7pqyz5vq.jpg

Interesting and looking good ... a lot of work went into this project. Getting 80F air cooled to 65F is not a failure.

Cannot suggest much other than trying to increase the volume of ice/coolant, and slowing down the fan and airflow while improving the airflow by more central location of the fan ... just a hunch.

Interesting and looking good ... a lot of work went into this project. Getting 80F air cooled to 65F is not a failure.

Cannot suggest much other than trying to increase the volume of ice/coolant, and slowing down the fan and airflow while improving the airflow by more central location of the fan ... just a hunch.

Thanks Richard, that is my theory also, more ice. I designed it so that the fan and heater core are totally segregated from the ice chamber. That gets rid of the humidity factor.

I can change the air flow from blowing through the heater core to sucking it through it. The temp. stays the same either way.

The box is really insulated, it is the 3/4 inch Styrofoam that is use for building.

I know it works, it is prolonging the ice that is the issue. Or maybe there is some other form of coolant. Denny.

Drew and I have had in depth discussions regarding this type of "A/C" and my calculations yielded about 35lbs of ice per hour consumption with similar ambient conditions. When you start running the numbers it quickly doesn't make sense.

Drew and I have had in depth discussions regarding this type of "A/C" and my calculations yielded about 35lbs of ice per hour consumption with similar ambient conditions. When you start running the numbers it quickly doesn't make sense.

After several design changes and a lot of tinkering, I have come to the conclusion that with out the ice, that I now have a conversation piece, and a 20lb. paper weight.

I built it like you make a cake or pie (from scratch), no plans, all trial and error.

I have always been a (what if type person).

It isn't that I really have a use for it, I just wanted to custom build one to fit in my boat, as I have done with everything else that I have added to her.

My reward is I had fun building it, and it kept me off the streets.

After working 50yrs. of 12hr. days, it is really hard to set doing nothing, so I find dumb things to try and build.

My next project is to build a glider rocker for my daughter. Denny.

Denny, there's a company that makes these types of coolers for light aircraft. However, you're talking relatively small cabin and likewise, limited use, mostly during takeoff and landings (the temperature at altitude is typically much cooler, so no need to use the cooler). They offer an ice model and I see they now offer self-contained "real a/c" models (5k). http://www.arcticaircooler.com/

Totally hear you on trying new things. I personally love the challenge. Mentally, you have to go into these hoping to succeed, but prepared to fail. Oh well, tried that, didn't work, move on...

Denny, there's a company that makes these types of coolers for light aircraft. However, you're talking relatively small cabin and likewise, limited use, mostly during takeoff and landings (the temperature at altitude is typically much cooler, so no need to use the cooler). They offer an ice model and I see they now offer self-contained "real a/c" models (5k). http://www.arcticaircooler.com/

Totally hear you on trying new things. I personally love the challenge. Mentally, you have to go into these hoping to succeed, but prepared to fail. Oh well, tried that, didn't work, move on...

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out on there self-contained model.

I found a marine version 2300 deer, I'll see how theirs works and how mush they want for it.

I have no regrets, had a lot of fun building it. Denny.

Hey Denny, what material did you make the box out of?

I got it from a friend that has a plastic fab shop. All I know is that it is some type of 1/4 in. black plastic, and it is pretty.

I will call him tomorrow and get the name of it and get back to you. Denny.

I got it from a friend that has a plastic fab shop. All I know is that it is some type of 1/4 in. black plastic, and it is pretty.

I will call him tomorrow and get the name of it and get back to you. Denny.

Thank you. What did you use to bond the joints?

Can you pump water in from the lake, run it through the core and then back out into in the lake? May not be functionable if you're moving.

My buddy used to have a portable "Suit case" AC that did just that.. Pumped water from and then over the side... Worked great but they don't make them anymore. I forget the name of it though.

Thank you. What did you use to bond the joints?

Hi Dennis, the plastic is 1/4 in. black ABS, it comes one side smooth, and the other is textured.

They touch the two pieces together and use a needle and syringe like they use to give you a shot.

The liquid inside is really thin and runny. They run the needle down the joint of the two pieces, and it flows inside the joint the same way as you sweat copper pipes. The bond is is almost instant, and the cure is 24hrs.

Hope this helps. What are you looking to do with it, if I may ask? Denny.

My buddy used to have a portable "Suit case" AC that did just that.. Pumped water from and then over the side... Worked great but they don't make them anymore. I forget the name of it though.

Are you referring to the Kruisin Kool unit that was literally made out of a Samsonite suit case? They work just like the marine air units by Dometic where the condenser is using close coupled heat exchanger circulating sea water through it.

Can you pump water in from the lake, run it through the core and then back out into in the lake? May not be functionable if you're moving.

Hey Dan, good to here from you again.

That might be something to try.

The water temp. will be the determining factor.

Thanks for the idea, I'll see what can do with it. Denny.

Hi Dennis, the plastic is 1/4 in. black ABS, it comes one side smooth, and the other is textured.

They touch the two pieces together and use a needle and syringe like they use to give you a shot.

The liquid inside is really thin and runny. They run the needle down the joint of the two pieces, and it flows inside the joint the same way as you sweat copper pipes. The bond is is almost instant, and the cure is 24hrs.

Hope this helps. What are you looking to do with it, if I may ask? Denny.

Thanks Denny. I thought it looked like ABS and now you have confirmed it. So it is just solvent welded with acetone or MEK. I am always tinkering with something and I really like texture. Was thinking of using it to make some instrument panels out of it and some enclosures for some electronics projects.

Are you referring to the Kruisin Kool unit that was literally made out of a Samsonite suit case? They work just like the marine air units by Dometic where the condenser is using close coupled heat exchanger circulating sea water through it.

Yeah those are great! I wish they still made them...although it's cooling off here so now I don't even need an A/C LOL.