Jeffmc

Clean hull?????

11 posts in this topic

I need suggestion on what chemical to use and the safety factor with fiberglass. Acetone was recommended however, I am a little reluctant to use this chemical. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you. (Tennessee - Tims Ford Lake)

We would need to know the make ,year & model to answer that accurately. Some of us have some very old glass hulls.

Why does a pressure wash job not remove 99% ?

if you are wanting to remove the brown scum line & get your hull back to white - most all products that have "hull cleaner" in the description will use muratic acid or similar. Stay away from pure acetone or other pure acids unless you dilute - those can and will remove paint. The store bought hull cleaners work well to remove the scum line. wear rubber gloves and start with a small area for testing and you can dilute as needed. when you are done hose down everything and then use a polish followed by a wax. the hull cleaners work well on fiberglass and the SS hooks trip tabs but avoid the plastic areas.

Go to your local dollar store and pick up a few bottles of tub and tile cleaner.

$1 a bottle, empty them into a bucket with with some dish washing liquid to thicken it up.

Apply with a little elbow grease to your hull.

Let it sit for a few minutes and hose off... you're done.

Mary Kate Hull Cleaner works great. It's basically muratic acid, so read the directions carefully. You have to wax after using Mary Kate or the stains will come back quicker and thicker.

We use toilet bowl cleaner (the Works) followed by a good wax job...works great. If you do go the acetone route be sure not to use it on your decals, it eats them up.

I read all the time that hull cleaners are basically acid. An old friend suggested that I use acid to clean my boat one or twice a year and I have been doing it for almost 10 years now on each of my boats. Every cleaning is immediately followed by a rinse, wipe, final wash with soap and then a wax job.

Jug of Muriatic Acid - less than 10 deers - 2-3 cleanings

Yard pressure sprayer - 20 deers or so. If you rinse and flush after use, they last quite a while.

No scrubbing, AT ALL to remove river scum? - priceless.

I originally worried that I was damaging the hull, gelcoat, etc. But after this much time, I haven't witnessed any adverse effects, other than what the acid will do to an aluminum trailer. But that's another story...

Mary Kate ON/OFF hull cleaner. Quick and easy!

+1 That's what I used when I left the boat in the water way too long and it looked like a coral reef had developed on it's bottom. I was so bummed out but after a bit of that stuff (gotta be careful with it) it got rid of everything and brought the shine right back. I was impressed.

+1 That's what I used when I left the boat in the water way too long and it looked like a coral reef had developed on it's bottom. I was so bummed out but after a bit of that stuff (gotta be careful with it) it got rid of everything and brought the shine right back. I was impressed.

and it's so easy. I use a paint roller pan and a boat brush on a pole. Dip the brush, apply to the hull, let sit for a couple minutes, scrub a little and wallah, clean. keeps my hands away from the stuff too.

Old guys have a few acid burns using gloves. Acid gets on everything .especially a trailer or floors. The long handled scrub brush saves skin & all else.

Old post got me. :)