schill32

Chaparral owners rally?

80 posts in this topic

I've been looking around and haven't seen anything like this yet. Some of our friends go to a lot of the Crownline owners events and I was wondering if there is anything similar for Chaparral owners?

Does Crownline host the events, or is it the owners? I know Tom put red duck tape over his side letters and hangs out with the Crownies.

:haha-7383:.

Actually, back in Crownline's heyday in the late 90s and early 2000s they did host them. The rallies were held at Table Rock Lake, MO, Norris Lake, TN, and at Cumberland Lake KT, on a rotating basis. They also had reps from Prestige trailers and other vendors along with new boat models. After the company was sold it all stopped. There are groups of owners who still put on these rallies on their own. The only difference is that there is a fee for the dinner and the poker run. We attend a regional rally at Table Rock every July that has become known as the Summer Splash. It actually has a better attendance record than the National Rallies now have. There are usually anywhere between 50-80 boats in attendance. Most people arrive midweek. Thursday evening we have a get together dinner where you pick up your rally packet containing donated items from vendors, koozies, mugs, things of that order. Also in the packet is the poker run stop map. The poker run is on Friday followed by the poker run dinner that evening with the awarding of the prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and the worst hand gets the left over change. Every year there is a special commemorative T-shirt and this year the shirt only had "Summer Splash" on it, nothing about Crownline. A number of boaters are moving on to other brands and they are wanting to bill it as a more of an open boating rally. It is a very family friendly event and the people I have met throughout the years have become my boating family.

I've been looking around and haven't seen anything like this yet. Some of our friends go to a lot of the Crownline owners events and I was wondering if there is anything similar for Chaparral owners?

Where are you out of?

There was a past forum member ( Great Guy) who organinized the frist few, then it got passed along and fizzled out.

Well #$^%, I use to organize car shows for years. Putting together a small something in the midwest wouldn't take much effort at all compared to that. Any interest?

So nowhere near me is what I'm guessing since I didn't get an answer to the question.

I'd rather meet for ocean boating anyway unless it's the Great Lakes. Now there's a place one might just consider because of the beauty of the water and being able to swim in it and it looking like a real ocean in many places.

So nowhere near me is what I'm guessing since I didn't get an answer to the question.

I'd rather meet for ocean boating anyway unless it's the Great Lakes. Now there's a place one might just consider because of the beauty of the water and being able to swim in it and it looking like a real ocean in many places.

Is someone turning into a big water snob?

Actually, there are definitely two styles of boaters on this forum, those of us inland and offshore boaters. I would even consider alot of our Great Lakes boaters to be more in the offshore group. Each has their own boating style and needs. You would almost have to do two types of get togethers, one inland and one on the coast somewhere.

Maybe ky lake / lake barkley?

I would be up for that. There are alot of owners on here in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, along the Ohio River. It would be central to alot of us inland boaters. Lake Barkley has Green Turtle Bay which a pretty large resort which could accommodate a large group. I think we would have to try for early or mid August. It's easier to go later in the year when you are trying to get a large group together when it comes to room openings.

Is someone turning into a big water snob?

I guess Tom is right - if you boat lakes you like lakes and what comes with them but if you boat oceans you learn to like what the vastness of the big water brings and especially the enjoyment of fishing and the variety that it offers, that's all.

Besides, I don't think I see the attraction of a huge crowd of boats where 3/4 of them are @#$%@#-faced and when you're all bunched up close to the age of 50, that's like the least attractive thing to me. I wouldn't mind meeting a few people from the forum before the crowd gets crazy but then I'm outta there!

The only thing a lake would be an absolute beauty of an attraction for this guy is if I was lucky enough to be in one of these and had nothing but glass water.

8aa9bfcf5bc7392eb6f1b1f0f2e3376e.jpg

I would be interested. I LIKE lake boating; being able to drive wherever I want with no need to stay in some poorly marked channel, no current so I'm able to swim safely, no crab pots to dodge or get tangled up in, toss an anchor wherever you choose. LOTS of people own boats in the 17-24' range that aren't suitable for ocean use. Doesn't make them paupers or lower class. They're not 'doing it wrong'.

If you don't want to come, then don't. Stay on your high horse (quietly) and catch some other get together.

Schill32, thanks for bringing it up. I would prefer Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow Lake, or Norris Lake, though they'll be longer options for some of course.

Now I'm off to another part of the forum to trash someone else's idea for a get together...not.

I would be interested. I LIKE lake boating; being able to drive wherever I want with no need to stay in some poorly marked channel, no current so I'm able to swim safely, no crab pots to dodge or get tangled up in, toss an anchor wherever you choose. LOTS of people own boats in the 17-24' range that aren't suitable for ocean use. Doesn't make them paupers or lower class. They're not 'doing it wrong'.

If you don't want to come, then don't. Stay on your high horse (quietly) and catch some other get together.

WTF happened to you? Did you get off the wrong side of the bed this morning Holly @#$%@# "quietly get on my high horse and catch some other get together"?

I could really tell you how I feel about that TOTALLY uncalled for response but I won't because I don't want to ruin the OP's thread.

Enjoy your rally.

Since the majority of these boats are on lakes and inland rivers, I would think that many potential attendees would not want to launch in saltwater. I have done both for many years with lots of different types of boats, but IMHO a freshwater location would be preferred. Last time I checked, there were fish in freshwater too. :Twocents:

Since the majority of these boats are on lakes and inland rivers, I would think that many potential attendees would not want to launch in saltwater. I have done both for many years with lots of different types of boats, but IMHO a freshwater location would be preferred. Last time I checked, there were fish in freshwater too. :Twocents:

I wonder what the breakdown is between coastal and inland boaters who own Chaparrals. I do think that Chap has more coastal boat owners than some other sterndrive manufacturers, like Bryant, Cobalt, Crownline, Rinker, and the like, whose factories are further inland from the coasts. I know Chap is a bit inland in Georgia but the company did start on the Florida Coast.

I think it's fair to say that no matter where one would be planned it would be too far for many. tomnjo, I'm actually just outside St. Louis on the Illinois side. Ky lake has a lot to offer though, so it would seem like a good location to "test the waters" on this. Pardon the pun of course. :)