schill32

Chaparral owners rally?

80 posts in this topic

May not matter to some but Cumberland is surrounded by "dry" counties.... to us "Northerners" Dry = no alcohol.   Have done the 1hr drive to TN for beer....   I have been told that DNR "could" ticket you for 150 per empty on board.....   (note that we have a DD who doesn't drink - non-drinker who drives the boat)  Still it feels too much like high school for this 47 yr old...

We now go to Dale Hollow TN.   Lake is equally as nice as Cumberland and you don't have to worry about the Po Po, and beer is available at every Marina, however the price also reflects this so we make sure to bring plenty from home.  

6daa48bc-a035-4927-8f16-f4f8e78e954b_zps  D H is doable,, my son just picked this up in fla,left on a friday evening and was back in town monday..18 hours one way to ft lauderdale,, with this in tow,,hes dying to go there with it,,i took my boys there 18 years ago with the chap and have fond memories of the lake, i lost my wife 19 years ago when my sons were 6 and 8 yrs old at the time,,i bought the chap and have spent some amazing times on the boat making memories never to be forgotten. one of the best decisions ive made was getting my chappy.

40 minutes ago, IndyChap said:

May not matter to some but Cumberland is surrounded by "dry" counties.... to us "Northerners" Dry = no alcohol.   Have done the 1hr drive to TN for beer....   I have been told that DNR "could" ticket you for 150 per empty on board.....   (note that we have a DD who doesn't drink - non-drinker who drives the boat)  Still it feels too much like high school for this 47 yr old...

We now go to Dale Hollow TN.   Lake is equally as nice as Cumberland and you don't have to worry about the Po Po, and beer is available at every Marina, however the price also reflects this so we make sure to bring plenty from home.  

good to note!! ive been known to have a brown pop or two..i also have the dd..

Cumberland 6.5. Dale Hollow 7. Quite a long way for my tired old tow vehicle. My longest tow every summer is to Table Rock at about 4.3 hours. Ky Lake and Barkley are also in the 4 to 4.5 hour range for me.

Just waking up to think about boating again and saw this thread :-)  I would be interested depending on when/where.  I'm just outside of Cincinnati (Indiana) and have been to Norris.  Mostly boat at Brookville lake in Indiana, and have been on the Ohio.  We take our boat out to VA annually during 4th of July to visit my parents off the Chesapeake.

I love Table Rock. If anyone was to ever get something together there, I would probably go. It's about a 5 to 5 1/2 hour tow for me, but well worth it. We go every summer. 

+1, DH is very nice, and plenty of room to roam (just don't get lost in the islands!).

Water clarity . . .

photo IMG_0291.jpg

Also Norris Lake near Knoxville, TN . . .

photo P1000667.jpg

photo P1000626.jpg

at rest photo PICT0929.jpg

Btw, my sig pic is at Laurel River Lake, my regular haunt.  Comparable clarity...cleanest in KY that I've found, anyway.  In Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest.

On 3/28/2016 at 11:13 PM, IndyChap said:

dmtalon,   take a trip to Dale Hollow...  about a 4 hr tow for you.  

not my video but gives you an idea of the lake

https://youtu.be/YF6zUU3ojhQ

For sure looks fun...

Where do you boat mostly? Have you been to Monroe?

1 hour ago, dmtalon said:

For sure looks fun...

Where do you boat mostly? Have you been to Monroe?

Have been to Lake Monroe, many times..   however I keep the boat 1mi from the house on Geist Res.  not big but I can get out on the boat almost every night.  

{option}http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Boating/4739FF64-BA95-49F5-AE78-22AFFD161CBA_zpsnpzrr0ap.jpg[/IMG]

{option}http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Boating/IMG_0304.jpg[/IMG]

Hey Tomnjo, old Crownline was a 2013 21ss.  Loved the boat but just not enough size and HP to handle the family and friends. Just got the Chappy in and will be taking it to Brookville Lake in IN this afternoon to give it a test run.  

From there to Cumberland next week...which by the way is now "wet" in Somerset (town near the lake) and the marina's are now starting to sell beverages as well.  Only one or two last year but that's changing also.  No longer need to drive to TN for an adult beverage.

We would be in for just about any lake. We live in Central IL and go to Cumberland twice a year. About a 7 hour drive for us. Never been to DH but would do that also. Did The Ozarks also last year. Will do just about anything from the great lakes down to Atlanta. Hope we can get a get together going on here. It would be a blast no matter what the location is. Just to be around fellow boaters is a fun. 

You did The Ozarks in a 20 foot boat?? I hope it was during the week......

We splashed the boat on a Thursday evening and pulled out the next Monday morning. It wasn't to bad. IMHO I have seen Lake Erie worse. We even did a little wakeboarding. Found a cove and relaxed all afternoon. Had lunch at Dog Days. I would go back.

Hope we can make this Chap raft up work this year!!!

On April 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM, tomnjo said:

You did The Ozarks in a 20 foot boat?? I hope it was during the week......

+1, I want to do LOTO but keep hearing that in anything less than 25' boat you will be miserable.  Still find this hard to believe... but I hear it A LOT.  

We go down for a week in July. During the week it is fine, on the weekend it can get rough. Just depends on where u want to go.  There are plenty of 20-22 foot boats running around with no problems. 

If you look at a map of the lake it resembles a Chinese dragon. Some people have nicknamed it the dragon lake. If you have a smaller boat it is best to stay on thee Niangua Arm (the hind leg) or the upper Osage Arm (the tail). The intersection of those two arms can be very choppy but once you get into those arms it's not as bad. There's still alot of lake to boat in those areas. The best place to ski is in the Little Niangua Arm.

If there is someone that knows Dale Hollow well maybe they should take point on this and put it together. It seems as though that is the most central place for people. Or Cumberland. IMO first or second week of August might be good as peoples children will be getting back to school. Or Labor Day weekend. Just a thought.  

We could potentially be up for a DH trip, but School starts like the August 8th here in SE Indiana.

Finally got her!  Took her out for a trial run at Brookville Lake in IN and now tucked away in Cumberland ready for the summer.  Can't wait...

large.IMG_0873.JPG

I am trying to set up a group in the Midwest section I have a post started

Seems no one wants to be the start up person. I look at it as you can never have enough friends who also like boating.  I am always Looking to try new lakes. I really want to do Tennessee boating just don't know good or bad areas and to travel 10 hrs and wing things. We have a 235 cuddy and can sleep onboard at times. 

In Tennessee I like Dale Hollow and Norris.  Both big and clean with lots of coves.  Norris has lots of house rentals, although most are larger homes.  Dale Hollow has some marinas with cabins.  No homes, docks allowed on Dale Hollow.  Went to Center Hill Lake once.  Very nice.  Don't know about places to stay there.  Went to Percy Priest Lake once; didn't care for it.